1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So The wife & I were Gorging on a bag of Smart Food ( Popcorn).
I tell Her to slow down or your gonna get the Popcorn Farts:help:
She looks at me sorta strange and blurts out a WTF.
In the course of trying to explain the situation..we referred to google..which led to no good answer
but did bring up another interesting saying...BTW where is the Popcorn Icon as I can't find it on the list??

Enter the Whole Nine Yards...

Supposedly..27' of belted 50 cal ammo.

As in ..I shot that SOB down with the Whole Nine Yards.

Any truth to this?

While were at it..We need a "waiting " Icon thingy..like this waiting.gif

pop.pop.popity.pop

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Urban myth has it that the wing load of a WWII fighter held 9 yards of ammo. Hence 'give em the whole 9 yards'. Next time I open a can of .50, Ill measure off 100 rounds and maybe we can verify.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I thought it referred to the amount of concrete delivered by a concrete (aka 'cement') mixer truck -- nine cubic yards.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
"When linked 100 rounds of 50 BMG comes out to 98".... about 1" per round linked.

So nine yards of 50 BMG is about 324 rounds. ( 9 yards is 27 Ft x 12" is 324" or about 324 rounds )

A WWII mustang would take off with 1880 rounds of ammo to feed 6 weapons. Each weapon had its own separate feed chute.

Thats 313 rounds per weapon.... "ABOUT"... nine yards of 50 BMG to each weapon." You'll find no facts or proof of when this was first coined or used....its just one of those sayings that "Is what it is".

Tirediron

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/wp-content/gallery/d-day-pt-airfields-campaign/47.jpg Here's some crew members loading a P-47 for a mission.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3o7n1uqCf1rq1koeo1_500.jpg And a P51.

"I like extra butter and lots of crushed red pepper"

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I thought it refereed to the big Vickers belts but I never measured one.
Hmmm........:confused:
CaptMax

1 - 7 of 7 Posts