·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I hope the old boy gets his toys back.:(
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
"Prosecutors in the nearby city of Kiel are investigating whether the man's military collection violates Germany's War Weapons Control Act. But his lawyer says the weapons are no longer functional, therefore shouldn't be restricted. "

Don't you suppose that should have been done BEFORE they dragged it out, ripping up the street in the process??
Seriously, was he going to flee the island with it?:confused:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
"Prosecutors in the nearby city of Kiel are investigating whether the man's military collection violates Germany's War Weapons Control Act. But his lawyer says the weapons are no longer functional, therefore shouldn't be restricted. "

Don't you suppose that should have been done BEFORE they dragged it out, ripping up the street in the process??
Seriously, was he going to flee the island with it?:confused:

·
12,509 Posts
My barn isn't big enough for those two, but if they want to ship them to me, I'll gladly build out to fit!

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I'll bet the paperwork to get them here would take up roughly the same amount of space as the collection itself. :eek:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I loved the part of how one Winter he plowed the street for everyone using the Panther. That's a man that knows how to have some fun!

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
collection

Sounds like some government toads wanted some new toys,considering that panther was probably worth a half mil at least,I read every story about this that I could find and it never said where the heck the tracks were for that tank,I sure hope those idiots didn't ruin those road wheels dragging it around like that! One story said his basement is actually a garage under the house, but it sounds more sinister if they say he had it in his basement! I wish they would have posted some pictures of the rest of his toys.

·
Registered
739 Posts
That panther is a seven figure vehicle. Paul Allen (of Microsoft) was involved in a lawsuit where he had paid 2.5 million for a Panzer IV that the seller refused to deliver. It's hard to price something like this, but 4 million seems possible, given the condition and rarity as compared to the tank that Allen bought.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That panther is a seven figure vehicle. Paul Allen (of Microsoft) was involved in a lawsuit where he had paid 2.5 million for a Panzer IV that the seller refused to deliver. It's hard to price something like this, but 4 million seems possible, given the condition and rarity as compared to the tank that Allen bought.
Collins foundation never ok'd the sale of the pziv. Reserve at auction was never met, and Paul Allen made a deal with auctioneers, that never got green lighted with the collins foundation (owners of the pziv). That's as far as I know on technicalities of that issue

·
Registered
739 Posts
Collins foundation never ok'd the sale of the pziv. Reserve at auction was never met, and Paul Allen made a deal with auctioneers, that never got green lighted with the collins foundation (owners of the pziv). That's as far as I know on technicalities of that issue
I've heard a pretty similar version of that story elsewhere, although Mr Allen has his own version as well. I believe that 2.5 million was supposed to be the reserve, not sure on that though? If Collins hired the auctioneers to sell their stuff, and set a reserve price, and then the auctioneers sold it a "bona fide purchaser for value without notice" for that reserve price, its not a good situation.... This lawsuit is pretty much the only way to sort it out. Regardless, it means this Panther is nearly priceless. I'm not aware of a decent one ever selling publicly, ever. Most are blown to hell and in pieces, certainly not anywhere near running condition.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah idk wtf come of it, hoping collings wins their sit so they can finally bring it back here to start restoration (waiting on their panther to arrive to. Their m7 priest arrived recently)

It's ashame 5 of them panthers in various letter models are sitting outside the machine shop at ft benning, including a Super rare panther II.

·
Registered
739 Posts
It's ashame 5 of them panthers in various letter models are sitting outside the machine shop at ft benning, including a Super rare panther II.
Whenever people talk about donating their stuff to a museum, crap like that is what come to mind. I read somewhere that Winston Churchill's personal Sten gun was demilled by the British a few years ago. Charlie Wilson's Afghanistan bring-back AK's were demilled and sold off a few years ago with no explanation, by a respected museum in Texas. Those guns were pretty large pieces of US history, Soviet Union, Afghanistan, Bin Laden, Taliban, 9/11. Gone now.... Yea. Filled them with foam and cut them into pieces with a saw.

·
Registered
303 Posts
the one good thing

Its most likely the 88 and tank will end up in a Museum. I cannot figure out either what happened to the tracks . If the guy had used it before they should be there. Wonder what else they took and did not mention. You cannot figure out the US Military they are not big on saving anything. I was at Aberdeen a few years ago and saw a Sherman tank retriever being used in the mud pit for training in getting out of the mud. They are so rare in complete condition its a shame that it was not on display.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts