1919 A4 Forums banner

Thoughts on a sporterized 03 springfield chambered in 22-250

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MG08 
#1 ·
I have the chance to pick up a sportered 03 pretty cheaply. The only thing original might be the receiver. Thought I might restore it but seems like by the time I get all the parts it might be cheaper to just buy one. Any thoughts? KevinT

#4 ·
And, of course, be aware of those rebuilt deactivated drill rifles and the possible complications involved.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

#5 ·
It all depends on how much sporterizing was done and how many spare parts you have on hand and how much "pretty cheap" was. I have restored a couple of M1903s and it involved little more than finding a new stock and barrel bands. At one time you could find stocks at gun shows for about $10.00 but not any more (hand guards will cost about $20.00) if you can even find an original and not a recent made copy. One of my project guns ( a Remington 03) had been blued and it had a Lyman 48S sight and a M1903A4 stock (cut for bent down bolt handle). I ended up reparking the entire gun and using the stock on an M1903A4 project gun (I kept the Lyman sight). On another Remington 1903 the guy had replaced the original stock with a home built one and had put a lot of work into it, but had not done anything else to the metal parts. It needed only a new stock and bands. If you have one with a cut down barrel it is going to take a lot more effort especially if you want a correct dated barrel and 03A3 barrels are a lot easier to find than 03 barrels. On all of the projects I did I already had some spare parts so it was easier.

Years ago (about 45 years) I bought an 03A3 barreled action at a gun shop. The barrel had been cut down and rechambered for .300 Win Magnum but the guy had decided to not go any further with the process. Although I had a spare barrel I decided not to restore it but bought a new unfinished sporter stock, mount and scope and milled trigger guard, had it blued and hunted with it for many years. It worked for me but with all the work and expense I probably should have just bought a good commercial Remington

#6 ·
I haven't seen it yet and the guy was going to trade it in for new sneakers at the local gun buy back. It was his father's and I don't think it was a bubba job. He is concerned that the chamber won't handle the 22-250 pressure. I assumed you would have just had a barrel put on it, can you rechamber a 30-06 to 22-250? I guess I need to look up the case size specs. Time will tell. Oh and he also wants to sell his dad's model 70 in .308 and I might make him a package deal! KevinT

#7 ·
I wouldnt get your hopes up. I have a few VERY moderately sporterized military guns and only 1 of them was even worth saving. By the time you replace the bbl, stock, handguard and misc metal parts, you are already into what a rack grade 1903 will cost you at a gunshow. Do some math tonight. Price out a decent BBL, stock and front and rear sights. (Assume the worst and look up 03, not A3 parts). Im betting that stuff alone will exceed 600 bucks.

Also, if you do buy it and cant restore it, selling a sporterized milsurp is a HUGE PITA and you will only get pennies on the dollar for what they should be worth. I constantly see sporter 03's on GB, hovering in the 250 dollar range for weeks at a time. Just something else to consider.

Keep us posted if you get pics. Good luck.

#8 ·
You will spend way more restoring than buying one in todays market even if you get the rifle for free. Gt the rifle for what it is, a (probably) nice varmint rifle. Post photos here - heck I might even like it and you could sell it to generate $$ for a nu-messed with one. But with a rifle that is only a receiver, and probably pplished etc, you will not be dollars ahead at all....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.