1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've decided that the 1919 needs its brother. Time for a 50. So I think I'm going to go the M3HB route. Thoughts? Ups and Downs of per suing this hybrid? I'm going to need a crank, who makes them? How about a tripod any better alternative than a 1100 M3? No, I don't expect this to be cheap, but I don't need to be reclus with the kids college fun either!

Already ordered 400rds of ammo. Can't back out now!

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...graduate course...

Might want to check out the dozens of threads and posts on M2HB builds. For starters...just spend the cash now for the KMP RSP and trigger/sear set. No matter what you build or how you build it,you will always need the RSP...and the KMP is the industry standard. If you have the cash...buy a complete (?) kit. If you are the frugal (....OK...I'm cheap...) type and patient,search for your parts on ebay and gunbroker.com. Go to local gun shows...you'll be supprised. Attend the Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot in April and you'll find EVERYTHING there. If this was easy...or cheap to do....more folks would do it. It's like riding a Harley or an Indian...if you have to explain it to someone,they will never understand.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
usmc1488 SEZ: "....Already ordered 400rds of ammo. Can't back out."

Ha! you and I are like two ducks in the water -- when I was fourteen I decided to build a racing hydroplane. I bought the paint, steering gear and throttle controls before I even got the wood, screws, etc. BOY, were my parents pissed :mad: -- but it was my money, I earned it. The boat got completed and I was cool, but I sorta had the cart before the horse, so to speak. You'll get it built and have a blast! :bigun2:

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I went the M3HB route, Makes for a great shooter. It was certainly a fun build. Need to do another someday.

If you are building primarily as a safe queen, or for dispaly, then an original M2HB would be higher value.

Kit and part prices are actually down now, vs. a couple years back. Unusual to see that in this hobby.

Karl

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info all. Yep I bought the ammo because Ive been going back and forth a 50 build or a RPK. I know if I ordered the ammo Id lock my decision in and would help me set a goal. I called Halo yesterday, his plates are almost ready for purchase. Ill get one of those and the kmp stuf and collect the rest as I go. I like having the option of going M3HB, Ideally id go the M2HB route. But seeing how this is going to be an acquire the part when the target of opportunity arises it I nice to have options.

This will be shot but the price of ammo will probably make it a 2-3 times a year thing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey will the M2 Tripod work with the 50? Im going to guess no, but hey Its worth asking the question.

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
I would not shoot a 50 off an M2 FWIW and yes the M3 tripods are around 1000-1500 depending on if they are WWII or newer production but check with Jeff Prater at Iron Creations I think he had some new made ones at a great price if you just want something to shoot off of and not a collectable or you could fabricate your own as many of the guys do here.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
If you do decide you want a "collectible" M3 tripod, I have a very nice, arsenal reconditioned Springfield Armory M3. Very rare maker. It's probably post war, but its the only SA one I've every seen. I need $1400 + shipping, in case anyone wants it. Picture below of markings. But for just something to shoot off of, Jeff's are the way to go. Much less expensive.

As to the M2 vs M3 on the gun itself, the M3 parts are, generally far easier to find, especially internals. The receiver side plate choice will dictate much of the internals choices. If you use the M3 buffer body and barrel extension, I believe you can still use an M2 bolt and top cover assembly, or switch back to the lighter M3 bolt at will. Pretty sure you need to match the top cover to the bolt, but others can confirm or correct me on that.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hey will the M2 Tripod work with the 50? Im going to guess no, but hey Its worth asking the question.
I tried my M2 on a 1917a1 tripod. It looked comical, like I put a $5 knockoff Harris bipod on a 1919. M2 is a big 'ol pig, it fits well on mounts that have wheels. Sokolov mount looks pretty cool in my opinion, jeep is nice as well.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I even added an MK93 shock mount after the 50 was shoving the M3 tripod around. Really settled things down. Without the shock mount, stakes and sandbags are needed.

Think of the 50 as a small cannon, not just a large rifle.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I even added an MK93 shock mount after the 50 was shoving the M3 tripod around. Really settled things down. Without the shock mount, stakes and sandbags are needed. Think of the 50 as a small cannon, not just a large rifle.
I like the MK93 as well. The tripod doesn't move around as much, so it stays on target even in FA...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you gents for all of the comments and recommendations. I think Ill go the hybrid M3HB route for the parts flexibility. I just want something similar to what I shot in the Corps. Ive got a M4 clone. M14 EBR Clone, REAL M40A5, M9. now I need the 50. I feel the M240 and M249 are going to be difficult to aquire. FN has the M249 semi but the price is that of a TNW 50.

Copy all on the tripods!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts