1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just received mine. I'm excited, I like the overall appearance, solid park job, consistent rivets BUT.......... is it normal to tack weld EVERYTHING before riveting? the tack welds are all over (a dozen or so??? didnt actually count...) where the side plates meet the trunnion and bottom plate etc

they're about 1/8" each, and appear to be mechanically done (very consistent), anywho, about 1/2 of them are cracked or cracking, (assume that happens during the riveting) and i assume that once i fire it, they'll all be cracked

plz educate me folks!

Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
The cracks were probably caused by welding two different materials together without preheating or by using the wrong welding rod. In any case IMHO there should be no welds any where on the gun. J.R.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't the welds have something to do with TNWs ancient semi approval? Back when plate guns had to be welded to make the ATF happy? IIRC they also have to weld up a part of the holes for the RSG shoulder bolts the on the LSP to prevent a side trigger from being installed.

To the best of my knowledge the plates no longer need to be welded at all but perhaps TNW never asked for an update on there approval to remove that portion.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
If that was a first time home builder's gun, I'd be slapping the guy on the back and cracking him a fresh beer.
If it was ordered from an established professional builder, I'd be raising all kinds of hell.

TNW may have had a different SOP for welds, but back in the day, the requirement was for "Deep, Penetrating Welds." Those are neither.

Maybe the other guy in the shop was hogging all the C-clamps the day it was built. I'd say call them, but I personally have never been able to get them to personally answer a phone or return a call left on their service.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
...bad for karma...

I'd send the box back....insured and signature required...demanding another box without welds since they are not required and detract from the originality...besides being faulty. Have had a couple 1919's and 2-M2HB TNW's...not my idea of a good product. Had to re-do them to use the KMP trigger/sear set up to be functional.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, those pics sure didnt come across sized very well! but apparently you guys got the drift. after further review, the rivets werent that great, 2 are downright smushed/shouldve been redone.

do you see the lip in the front cover pin hole and in the tripod pin/mount hole? besided the inner lips, the plate holes appear to be out-of-round. are these things normal? (caused by the plates not lining up with the trunnion pin hole i assume, so plate holes had to be drilled out/are now out of round????)

thanks!

this better for pic size?

http://s942.photobucket.com/user/bu...3&page=1&_suid=144968152249106311462595763329

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd send the box back....insured and signature required...demanding another box without welds since they are not required and detract from the originality...besides being faulty. Have had a couple 1919's and 2-M2HB TNW's...not my idea of a good product. Had to re-do them to use the KMP trigger/sear set up to be functional.
I agree send it back those may be just the obvious problems .It could be a fight to the finish with poor results.J.R.

·
Registered
350 Posts
First 1919 was a tnw, and was welded the entire length of bottom plate to side plates. Didn't think anything of it at time as didn't know better.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
It is a shame they continue to weld on good parts. They used to weld their trunnion rivets and others on the 1919s. Stuff that was really unnecessary. Really messed up lots of good parts in a way that majes it difficult to recover them and do it right. That and not bothering to install the bolt stops on the 1919s. But hey, who needs all these parts anyways?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here's an update on my situation. i did decide to request that tnw return the box and trigger. the owner tim took some time to consider my reasons and review the pictures. he agreed to take it back and refund me 80% of the purchase price. i asked if they could take it easier on me and they did, but only if i shipped it that week. they ended up refunding 90% of the purchase price. the operations manager jamie was very responsive and easy to work with. the end.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
...only 90%...?

I'd be yelling my head off...!!! You deserved a 100% refund. Their product was/is faulty...as well as poor workmanship. Again...I will not buy any TNW products because of this and other examples of their bad business practices. I only have 1-TNW product...an M2HB #201, new,un-fired and on display in a military museum. This was bought when it came with the M3 tripod and was less than $7K...total. And was before they started to cheapen their products and scorn their paying customers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd be yelling my head off...!!! You deserved a 100% refund. Their product was/is faulty...as well as poor workmanship. Again...I will not buy any TNW products because of this and other examples of their bad business practices. I only have 1-TNW product...an M2HB #201, new,un-fired and on display in a military museum. This was bought when it came with the M3 tripod and was less than $7K...total. And was before they started to cheapen their products and scorn their paying customers.
yes. i'm not overly enthused with how they handled it. truth is, i've been a pretty lucky guy, and this is the first time i've been 'burned,' so i will be ok. i could not get a comment on the condition. i asked something like 'what do you think?' and/or 'what did tom say about the condition?' and they wouldn't comment. i was going to purchase the aero survival rifle multi-caliber rifle package. WAS, but i'd be a fool to do so. i should have read their return policy and warranty info (neither exist :-S see below)

How do I return an item?
Please contact customer service for more information on returning an item. Thank you.

Warranty Disclaimer
This site and the materials and products on this site are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied. To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, TNW Firearms disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
OMG unbelievable!

Since they're not refunding shipping you're out even more $$.

Now take your cash and call Ed at Central Wisconsin Armory for a museum quality product.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
buck_hunter50 SEZ: TNW sez "....To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, TNW Firearms disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. "

I'm going to suggest when TNW SEZ ".... To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law,..." They know full well IT IS NOT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW to waive merchantability ,... and you still reserve legal grounds!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
buck_hunter50 SEZ: TNW sez "....To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, TNW Firearms disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. "

I'm going to suggest when TNW SEZ ".... To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law,..." They know full well IT IS NOT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW to waive merchantability ,... and you still reserve legal grounds!

Carry On!
Gary
><>
i'm tracking, but in a strange way, i'm fine with the outcome. a few lessons were learned here :)

schooling isn't cheap!

sanders 2016

·
Legendary Donor
1,683 Posts
KMP KMP KMP KMP KMP KMP--WE DO >50 right, trig and all.

KMP has been supplying RHSP and trigger and sears to the home builder and many more ever since i designed this system.
there have been copiers, but not innovators !!buy from the best obamamea the rest. call 419-524-4371 .get the quality that I designed.
we will take care of you. all guaranteed for life !!!!
you get what you pay for. ask anyone.
thanks for over 14 years of your respect.
thanks.
tomt:eek::cool:

·
Registered
625 Posts
My experience with TNW...

After reading through this thread, I'm beginning to think that perhaps TNW may be slipping. I purchased a 1919 in 2005 and this thread prompted me to take mine out and check for welds. There are no welds and functionally the gun has run like a clock since new. The only issue I had when the gun was first received, was what appeared to be pipe wrench marks on the barrel shroud. I emailed Tim and I had a new one in less than a week. Over all, I have been happy with mine.

I agree with the rest the this box should have gone back with no questions and a 100% refund in view of the issue. It's a business ethics issue. I know If I screw up and something doesn't work, I refund or replace and at the same time I pay postage both ways. That's the least I can do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts