1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SG-43 carriage to shoot my 1919 with. I was thinking about buying an SG43 kit to put together. Does anyone have any experience with building one and the challenges that go with it, availability of parts, etc. thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
I havent built one as of yet, but they don't seem too bad of a build. The obviously require welding. The. Critical sections are the welding of the front section and getting the correct head spacing, and coming up with a semi auto hammer trigger set up. There are tutorials and semi parts available. Apex and robert bowman have kits available these days. They dried up once and will do so again. The challenge is to get a good barrel. Bowman has a good barrel with his kits on gunbroker.

I think these are still a good value and are of medium difficulty to build. I would rate them about the same as a Bren to build.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm working on mine right now. You want to make sure you quadruple check everything when assembling your receiver and while you're welding. Make sure to take the welding SLOW (Like spending a few days on welding just two sections back together slow). This is the 3rd time I've had to cut my receiver apart. All part of learning the hard way about shrinkage.

There are several tutorials on other forums. The one thing that I have been finding mixed information on is how to headspace the darn thing. It appears the majority of people say you need a .03 gap between the rear of the bolt and the locking surface with a live case in the chamber. That's an enormous gap and I feel like it would lead to case separation but according to the other builders the gap is needed in order for the bolt to shift over. Otherwise it will bind after the round is fired if it doesn't have the clearance.

Aside from redoing the receiver you'll need to locate a semi fcg, firing pin, material for a denial island for the carrier, and either an original barrel which will run you about $800-$1k or find someone that can repair one of the 3 hole drilled barrels. I think the going rate for a repair is around $250.

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I have a SG-43 carriage to shoot my 1919 with. I was thinking about buying an SG43 kit to put together. Does anyone have any experience with building one and the challenges that go with it, availability of parts, etc. thanks[/QUOTE

Its a very easy build and lends itself well to the homebuilder with little to no tooling.

The BBL can be tapped and plugged. Most BBLS have a drill hole in the chamber, so be prepared for ruptured cases (its almost impossible to get the chamber area perfect with the tap and plug method, but it will be functional). Its not going to be real accurate, but the only other option is a 800 dollar live bbl. (verses 1.29 for 3 allen head plugs)

The receiver is simple. I made a welding jig with 30 dollars of aluminum bar stock from Home Depot. I took the stock to a machine shop and had them mill a few thou off the side so it would fit the box. If you are serious about this project, Id consider selling it to you for cost. (PM me)

I also used the side mounted AR-15 fire control group. I suggest taking a chunk of the welding fixture material and converting it to a box to hold the FCG. Again, I had a shop mill this out with very simple dimensions. Total machine labor was less than 50 bucks.

The denial pins were simple, milling the bolt can be done with a dremel. Make SURE you remove ALL the leading edge on the bolt carrier...if you dont, (even though you've made it a semi) the extra metal will cause slam fires and a run away, full auto gun. (All these steps can be found online, I know I posted a pretty in depth tutorial on Weapons guild about 5 years ago)

Again, the BBL is the hardest part. My gun runs, but gets every 10th case split and stuck due to the small depression in the chamber where I couldnt really machine it out well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'am probably going to start by just buying the parts kit from APEX and the other components and hold on to them for awhile. I'am not going to rush into this build, have alot going on right now and it's a little out of my wheelhouse to just charge ahead and do it myself. Thanks for your feed back everyone and the build sounds doable. My cousin from Cal. built one and is coming out for a week this Christmas. I'm sure we'll have a good bonding experience with the build. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I'am probably going to start by just buying the parts kit from APEX and the other components and hold on to them for awhile. I'am not going to rush into this build, have alot going on right now and it's a little out of my wheelhouse to just charge ahead and do it myself. Thanks for your feed back everyone and the build sounds doable. My cousin from Cal. built one and is coming out for a week this Christmas. I'm sure we'll have a good bonding experience with the build. Thanks again

Make sure you get a BBL with the 3 holes drilled in it. If you get the kits with torch cut BBL...throw the BBL away. It CANNOT be reworked. Also, make sure you order the SG43 kit (and not the armored variants, as they dont come with spade grips or sights).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure you get a BBL with the 3 holes drilled in it. If you get the kits with torch cut BBL...throw the BBL away. It CANNOT be reworked. Also, make sure you order the SG43 kit (and not the armored variants, as they dont come with spade grips or sights).
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just be careful of who you send the barrel to on the plug/reweld. One was sent to Georgia Weaponry and it came back with JB weld in it to help plug the holes. Heard Wildhorse does good work though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just be careful of who you send the barrel to on the plug/reweld. One was sent to Georgia Weaponry and it came back with JB weld in it to help plug the holes. Heard Wildhorse does good work though.
thanks for the info. I just talked with my cousin and he has been saying the same things as you guys. He was an under water welder and then welded heart valve seams together for a living. So I'm hoping we can do alot of this ourselves. thanks again and sounds like a great build. I'll keep you guys informed when I start to buy some of these parts.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
thanks for the info. I just talked with my cousin and he has been saying the same things as you guys. He was an under water welder and then welded heart valve seems together for a living. So I'm hoping we can do alot of this ourselves. thanks again and sounds like a great build. I'll keep you guys informed when I start to buy some of these parts.
My brother was a Hull Tech in the Navy is that what your brother did?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My brother was a Hull Tech in the Navy is that what your brother did?
He worked for individual companies, several through his life, he ended up working with heart values, and some of his work had been in confined areas and now unfortunately has some health problems associated with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
barrel

Bob Bowman has brand new barrels.He has them on gunbroker.I just bought 2 from him last month.
That solves your barrel problem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think Robert Bowman has a complete kit with new barrel and wheeled carriage mount for around 1k! New barrels for around $400! Get em while you can, once they're gone barrel prices will quickly return to the $600-$800 range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts