1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 1911 and 50 rounds of my recent reloads to the range today. Had to make it quick as I had to get back to Dad in the hospital. (knee replacement) Anyways, I get to the range and the first thing I do is check the brass bucket. (Im a NOOB reloader and finding a few dozen 45 casings makes me all happy.) I looke din the bucked and had to do a double take....I looked again and saw it was filled with over 100 rounds of brand new, unfired 9mm rounds.

I picked up a few and saw that they had VERY light primer strikes. About 50% of the rounds didnt even have primer dents! Somebody made a batch of homebrews and some didnt fire, so they threw them ALL out. I took them all home to tear down, as I JUST started reloading 9mm for the first time this week. Closer inspection showed that the powder was good, the primers were good, BUT, all the primers were WAY too high. Whoever tried to fire them didnt even try to give them a second strike.

I stripped 128 rounds tonight, used the powder to blow up a stuffed animal and will reload the cases this week. Its the little things that make me happy.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Doesn't take much! :drink:

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I think it was blowing up the stuffed animal....:D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I was so relieved to see that you took them home and tore them down instead of shooting them. Congrats on your find!!

Something that all shooters need to consider, no..strike that.....NEED TO ADOPT 100% is NEVER FIRE ANY AMMO FOUND ON A RANGE!!!! EVER!!!

The way that crazy, anti gun sicko fucks are these days, it would not be beyond their sick twisted minds to sabotage ammo and leave it to be found.

Never re use the powder either, burn it or toss it on the lawn

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I found about 300 rounds of .223 55SP ammo in a trash can at the range last year.

gave them to a guy I shoot with for the components. Whoever loaded them I hope they don't operate anything mechanical , no real consistent charges, no standard OAL either. Some people shouldn't be allowed to touch ****.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found about 300 rounds of .223 55SP ammo in a trash can at the range last year.

gave them to a guy I shoot with for the components. Whoever loaded them I hope they don't operate anything mechanical , no real consistent charges, no standard OAL either. Some people shouldn't be allowed to touch ****.
Ive seen some garbage reloads before and I just dont understand it. Theres just too much at risk. I know Im new to the art of reloading, but I still check every 4th load if Im using a powder drop. I will also verify my digital scale by measuring the same charge on my mechanical scale once per session. I also check EVERY round for OAL once assembled. The guy who taugh tme was pretty methodical and emphasised safety the whole way. Maybe some people just buy reloading gear and try the 'lets see what happens if...." approach..??

Funny thing is, 3 weeks after I posted this, I found about 25 more complete rounds in the brass bin. This time it was .45 ACP. (The other caliber I reload). Took them home, broke them down and made new ammo with them. (much to Gulfstates dissapoinmnet I didnt have another stuffed animal so I just burned the powder off in the backyard)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I never touch anybody's reloads either, only my own. My brother was shooting his 1911 with reloads he bought from a well known local commercial reloader. The firearm blew up in his hand rupturing the barrel and cracking the slide and frame, blew the mag out and ruptured the grips. He had Pachmayr grips so he fortunately saved himself the trouble of digging splinters out of hand. A quick trip to the guy's shop with the firearm resulted in the guy buying him a brand new 1911.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
....safety first...

Been loading as a commercial reloader for over 40+ yrs and NEVER,EVER damaged any firearm....mine or others I loaded for. Several small tid-bits of info...

1-Never use CCI primers...too hard and many of the striker fired guns have a too light primer hit.(probable cause of first post)
2-never load a 'hot' load unless you have the actual firearm to test it with
3-always load 'median' loads,as they will function every firearm they are chambered for. Vary from this only...see # 2 above
4-better to use a standard beam-balance scale rather than battery or electric scale....static electricity ring a bell...?
5-weigh each newly opened box/case of projectiles. Mis-marked boxes can get you killed.
6-never use rifle primers in a pistol...or pistol primers in a rifle.
7-always load without distraction...no TV,don't yell at kids,wife or dog,DON'T SMOKE...!!
8-if you have not attended a reloading class or been taught by an experienced reloader...DON'T. You can get a LYMAN #49 manual and read the first 100 pages. The NRA reloading class was based on this info. READ and LEARN....or be stupid and lose a finger or hand...or a life.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
+1 on the Lyman #49 .

Their cast bullet reloading book is a huge help as well.

Only CCI i have are no.34 and benchrest (they were free and they're hard as rocks) , everything else is winchester.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Kaboom

Several years ago a guy came to our range with a new 223 bolt gun and some ammo his buddy loaded for him. The first shot turned his new gun into a grenade. A short time later another shooter with a 223 bolt gun spots a box of reloads on an empty bench. You guessed it. A hard way to learn a valuable lesson.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Been loading as a commercial reloader for over 40+ yrs and NEVER,EVER damaged any firearm....mine or others I loaded for. Several small tid-bits of info...

1-Never use CCI primers...too hard and many of the striker fired guns have a too light primer hit.(probable cause of first post)
2-never load a 'hot' load unless you have the actual firearm to test it with
3-always load 'median' loads,as they will function every firearm they are chambered for. Vary from this only...see # 2 above
4-better to use a standard beam-balance scale rather than battery or electric scale....static electricity ring a bell...?
5-weigh each newly opened box/case of projectiles. Mis-marked boxes can get you killed.
6-never use rifle primers in a pistol...or pistol primers in a rifle.
7-always load without distraction...no TV,don't yell at kids,wife or dog,DON'T SMOKE...!!
8-if you have not attended a reloading class or been taught by an experienced reloader...DON'T. You can get a LYMAN #49 manual and read the first 100 pages. The NRA reloading class was based on this info. READ and LEARN....or be stupid and lose a finger or hand...or a life.
Well, got to disagree with #6.

I load all my small primer pistol brass with small rifle primers and not had any problems with them.

I NEVER load small pistol primers in a rifle cartridge though.

I agree on all the rest, particularly the "median" loads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts