1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my 12 year old daughter to the range in Las Vegas to fire her first gun this weekend. while in the Gun store we were looking at what gun to pick for her first time. When she looks up on the wall and says lets fire the UZI so we pay the fee, walk to the back and i went first fired of a few rounds the gun jams, fire a few more the gun jams again,I look over at the guy from the store and tell him this is not going to work, we want to trade over to the MP5 he brings out the gun i fire of 50 rounds gun runs great. daughters turn the guy is right next to her gives her the breif explains everything she fires off a few rounds few more the guy says your doing great hold the trigger a little longer each time . she fires 50 rounds is done smiles ear to ear says that was fun lets pick another gun to shoot. guys on the line next to us were saying the smile on her face was priceless...

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
Keith- That is totally awesome. Just think how much fun she'll have telling her friends about the experience. I shot my first FA stuff at an indoor range in Vegas long ago. Makes you realize how oppressed we are in the PRK! Glad you could get your daughter such a grand start on her future shooting hobby!

-Rollin

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
reminds me

the first time i took my daughter to the range, she was 10 and i gave her my old 10/22 and we filled up several banana clips, went over the safety issues and away she went. she fired a few hundred rounds and got kinda bored.

after she shot my uzi and dumped two 40 rounders in about 10 seconds, that 10/22 has never seen the light of day

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thats Great:) You got to start them young, How long till she is building her own 1919?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good for you Keith. Glad to see you getting your daughter involved. We need someone to pass our hobby and sport on to.lol

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Got a a Grandson comeing up that seems to have a pretty keen intrest going. Almost looks like he'd be the one to get into buliding stuff. He's been after me to let him shoot a hand held gun. Seems that after a couple years of shooting the 1919 on a tripod he wanted to try something else. I took him out last sunday to shoot a 22 rifle..He's 7 now:D He did get a little later start than my boys, they started at about 5...Lou

·
Registered
502 Posts
Speaking of Vegas, I am looking to go up to the gun show next weekend there.....anything I should be looking for? I saw that The Ammunition Store has Izzy loaded 1919 CLOTH belts in cans, 230 rds, for sale....anybody get any yet?

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Nothing like a FA shoot

Hey Keith did you go to the one on Tropicana... If so I had problems with their M1A1 I shot there it was there bad frangible reloads. One of my buddies had the reverse experience the uzi was flawless and the MP had the problems go figure...

I got my girlfriends daughter started on the M1 garand she loves it... Now she wants to shoot anything that I will and of course she's asking every week now when are we gonna shoot the 1919 and she's chomping at the bit to shoot the 50 BMG. Its really great that girls can enjoy the sport:)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gun range

yes gun shop on Tropicana. the guy was real cool once i said this is not going to work we changed to the MP5 price was 40.00 each for 50 rounds then 25.00 for each set of 50 rounds after that. discount coupon online for 5.00 off..

102.00 for her to fire off 50 rounds and 100 rounds for me..

photos to follow when i get home

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
I have 3 daughters ages 6, 8 and 9. They all know how to dissassemble 1919, 1911, M16, and a Mac10 (except the youngest shes not that good at it yet).They have been doin this for years now, my oldest has been getting paid by my shootin buddies to clean their guns. They have been avid shooters since i would say 5 or 6 yrs old, they luv it. They go to the Creek every year with me and the wife and luv it. They always ask to shoot off the deck, and they got their own 1919 for christmas last year. Nothin like takin the daughters out shootin, their good at it too.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
It's a good thing

It's a good thing that the girls choose to get involved. My girlfriends daugther was reminding me the other day that she was anti-gun until I took her shooting, she now sees that we are not the people they portray on news.

Yeah I definetly agree with Keith about their customer service there they are all very friendly as most people in our sport. But you know something else happens when you cross that state line it seems like the people change, of course we all know there are A-holes everywhere it just seems like we get an over abundance in Kali...

I always make it a stop to go shoot the FA's when I go to Nevada next time its gonna be the grease gun. So if your gonna hit the tables in Vegas go drop some money at the Gun Store on Tropicana at least you'll get something for you money:D

Keith did you take her to see the Bonnie and Clyde car at State Line?
Im gonna plan a family trip to the Big Sandy shoot to let mine see all the FA's out on the firing line and maybe try a few too...

·
Registered
754 Posts
there is a cheaper and nicer place on the south west side of town, look in the yellow pages. It took about 20 min. to get there , but much better guns and range.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Theres gonna

Theres gonna be a FA shoot in Arizona They call it the Big Sandy shoot I here it tossed around on here from time to time... The only link that I have is to the place that they hold it at is www.mgshooters.com check out the cool video from the Big Sandy shoot that was last years. My friend contacted them about the dates for this years and supposedly they already have the date set but I need to see the email he said he got then I'll post it in the Sceduled Events forum... I here that even the semi auto 1919 guys can get in on the action there so I'll be getting one of Emorys cranks sent to my Nevada address soon..:)

Yeah I heard about that place too Stan but last time I went I was only there for a few hours so I didn't bother to look as I new where the one was on Tropicana for sure. Will do next time though...

·
Registered
259 Posts
The big sandy shoot is bigger than Knob Creek in terms of guns. It is a shoot only , no sales -yet. It is kind of in the boonies, so pack accordingly.

·
Malim Praedari
371 Posts
Every year we have our local club's Juniors league full to the max with a waiting list - we may have to expand again. My point is that about half of the youngsters are girls, and most will outshoot the boys on a given day. We provide everything (guns, ammo, shooting coats, targets, coaching by NRA instructors) except eye and ear protection for the 6 month league. We do have to charge $25.00 for the 6 months to cover paperwork, but that's all.

Now for the brag - my daughter started at about 6 or 7 with a 1902 Winchester and cb caps, progressed through .22 matches to NRA high power and .50 BMG rifle. She just turned 17, and is now learning trap and skeet. I can't even compete anymore......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts