1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks,
My first full auto post in the 1919 forums .... Whoo Hoo! :-D
Hi everyone, I recently moved from the semi to the full auto and am so stoked it's crazy!
There's been a few threads about the Stemple rebuild setup in 8mm for sale on subguns and a few other boards ..... well I'm the guy that bought it and wanted to check in with my experience ..... I couldn't be more happy.
Today I got a chance to finally take it for it's maiden voyage and this baby runs like a sewing machine.
I only did a few minor things to do to it to set it up, and luckily for me, it's was pretty easy after coming from a semi 1919 background.
I set the headspace to 1 click out after lockup and set the timing to 71 thousandths.
I also modified the trigger by adding the Izzy mod instead of bending it.
The only other thing I did was remove the rear cart stop just like my semi. With it in there, it was just too tight an entrance for the long 8mm.
This has always been my dream gun every since I was a kid and saw the movie Kelly's Hero's ...... and I now finally own what I consider the "Holy Grail of firearms.
Here's a short video I made today .... this was the third flawless 50 rnd belt dump in a row.
Thanks guys .... love this site and thanks for all of your knowledge.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Nice! Congratulations on your new toy. Now I missed all this about a Stemple rebuild in 8mm. Can you give us a summary here? That's one nice cyclic rate indeed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing huge, there was a couple earlier threads about Stemple marking his name in the wrong spot on the trunion and I think folks were leery about this gun because John Stemple was mostly known for subguns and not 1919 rebuilds.
The NFA paperwork has the manufacturer name as Saginaw Gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm fine with ROF ... sounds pretty cool, but is there a way to slow it down?
Is it high because of being 8mm?
Just curious ... Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nice Gun glad you're happy with it, I would be too.

I replied to someone on Subguns about connecting with BRP guns when they had a question regarding one but, I'm pretty sure it was for an M2HB they were interested in not the 1919A4

Frank in GA.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have noticed a funny thing while running 8mm in my Brownings. I tried running steel cased Romanian 8mm a couple of times in my '17A1 and it worked just fine. But, the cases don't seem to be sealing the chamber very well. With every shot, I see a little puff of smoke coming out of the cocking handle slot. When our shooting exercise is finished and it's time to clean the weapon, the receiver box interior is covered in soot. The spent cases look fine with no bulges, cracks, blown primers, or stretched cases evident. I have seen this problem with both of my 8mm barrels which, by the way, I got from OOW a while back. I have had identical results whether firing this stuff in my '17A1 or ersatz '28 Colt.

Firing Romanian 8mm in my Vickers and MG08 works perfectly, as I expect it to. Their receiver boxes are clean as a whistle at the end of the day. I can only assume that the Maxim action keeps the combustion chamber closed for a tad longer when compared to the Browning action. I now tend to limit my use of 8mm ammo in my Maxim action weapons only because I hate scrubbing soot from the interior of Browning receiver boxes.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I have not used Romy much, mostly Yugo. This is my high speed testing, in its early stages. Of course, this was deliberate, with components specifically developed to known aircraft specs. Since this test, we have (thanks to a certain forum member here) added spring rates which have increased the cyclic rate beyond what you see here. I am quite impressed that Welder Dude's gun is running so fast if it has standard internals inside. It may be an Izzy booster, but I wouldn't think that would do it all by itself. Curious, for sure.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
All interesting notes about 8mm fellas. I'm interested in this too along with Welder Dude as my 1919 will be coming to me set up for 8mm too.

The booster diameter is interesting. Thanks for that tip frazer42.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
would have preferred a PM on this ( FNG cant get PMs yet ;), but one thing I wanted to mention was range safety - in watching the video, it appears you have the gun off the T&E. If you watch the bullet impacts, they appear to (almost) go over the berm. the muzzle climb on full auto guns is some thing that has to be watched - not sure what type of clear zone you range has, but projectiles can go a long ways. Best story is the 2 mi bound the 105 mm round took at OFASTS last year. Quickest way to get in trouble is to have a neighbors house catch stray bullets....

Otherwise the biggest issue you have is the FA bug - you cant just get one you know ? The 1919 is one of the Best civilian MGs there is - now you have to decide on what the NEXT one will be !

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
All interesting notes about 8mm fellas. I'm interested in this too along with Welder Dude as my 1919 will be coming to me set up for 8mm too.

The booster diameter is interesting. Thanks for that tip frazer42.
Booster diameter is a big part of the equation, and in a normal 8mm gun I run the .718 spec that was standardized by WWII for 30-06. On that aircraft gun set up, it is a special booster and different barrel, but that is in 8mm. Probably switching to 30-06 next time, as I am running low on 8mm ammo. Have to save some in case I eventually get the MG34 and/or 42 done.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Couldn't get the video to start. Sigh.
Well, it's at least good to hear it runs and you're happy with it!!! :D I'm not gonna kid myself. No way I could afford to a 1919 in FA. LOL!!:eek:

Rollin, it sounds like you have an out of spec chamber. Brass cases can hide a good deal of slop with case obturation, keeping the seal, so to speak.
Steel has much more 'spring back' after expansion.
Can't hurt to maybe slug the chamber and have a look?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Rollin, it sounds like you have an out of spec chamber. Brass cases can hide a good deal of slop with case obturation, keeping the seal, so to speak.
Steel has much more 'spring back' after expansion.
Can't hurt to maybe slug the chamber and have a look?
I think that was MG34 Dan who was having the issues with steel case. I've not used enough of it to share any useful experience. My pieces run great on the Yugo, with the occasional primer misfire. But fresh firing pin springs and the pre load spacers seem to eliminate most of that.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I think that was MG34 Dan who was having the issues with steel case. I've not used enough of it to share any useful experience. My pieces run great on the Yugo, with the occasional primer misfire. But fresh firing pin springs and the pre load spacers seem to eliminate most of that.
Well, I'll be darned! So it was. Sorry about that.
Bushmills curse, I think. :confused:

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Well, I'll be darned! So it was. Sorry about that.
Bushmills curse, I think. :confused:
Now some would say that Jameson wouldn't do that to you! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts