1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holes are drilled, and I just mocked up the weapon. One issue I discovered is that the top cover is very difficult to open. What should I look at? There isn’t any binding with the long screw assembly that fastens the top cover to the side plates. The issue is that I can hardly budge the latch that keeps the cover closed to open it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Probably nothing, most top cover latches are very stiff to open. Just make sure the receiver box is square and use a strait edge to check that the barrel jacket is straight. I put it on the receiver and check the gap at both ends of the jacket.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
agreed - that's why you see some deformed rear sight brackets. Many folks use them for leverage to open the top cover latch with a pry bar of some sort. [screw driver - small punch - rod, etc.] It has to be this stiff/hard so it doesn't open with recoil......

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Yep, its a man up issue. Keep a small rubber mallet in your range box to assist in opening topcover until you get used to it or always use. When taking backplate off use a good condition flathead screwdriver to pry the latch forward to liftout the backplate. There is technique to keep from scratching up tour parkerizing. Youll figure it out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The latch springs are quite strong when new. I was able to re-bend the spring slightly on one of mine and that took care of it.J.R.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Thank you gents, I guess Im too use to the 50 cal and its nice top cover.
To amplify what the Frog said, this was a sort of design defect which the "A6" style latch cured. Eventually the "A6" style became preferred style for all the M1917/M1919 derivatives except for the M37 which used a design that resembles the .50's

If you would like to read a little about the latches and top plates http://m1919tech.com/23039.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
When you mocked it up with rivets in place. Did you install the two rivets(short rivet with that you had to grind off half the head and long rivet at the front of the plate) that secure the back part of the top plate and clamp in place with c-clamps? Then look between the areas where the rhsp contacts anyplace your going to rivet for bulging. If there is no bulging and the top cover is still hard to open. Then check the cut on your rhsp where it contacts your top cover, especially at the back where it curves up for a sharp angle. You can usually file that sharp line down to a curve and your top cover will function easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts