1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem the two domed rivets that go in the rear of the top plate are to short they only stick out about a 1/16th of an inch after grinding half the head off to fit under the lip. There is not enough rivet to dome or fill a countersink. My rivet set came from sarco. They are the only two domed rivets in the set. Anyone had this problem before? Is there anyway to remedy the situation without buying a new rivet set?

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Rivets

You should have about 5/32nds of an inch sticking out. I had the same problem with a set that I got from another manufacturer and I went out and bought a 4.00 bag of flat head rivets and cut them to fit... I ordered mine online from www.grainger.com... Also some people dome the rivets on the outside which I recommend and some dome one and not the other its all up to you...

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
I had a couple of Sarco sets and still have those too-short rivets. I never used most of those and switched to Black Bear. However, I do have a large bag of long rivets that will work. They are 3/16 and need to be left a shade longer than normal to allow for compression to fill the larger diameter hole, but they work just fine. If you want a few, e-mail me and I'll mail them out.

Rollin ([email protected])

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
You'll need to get the right ones like the one's Lucky has, that backplate takes a pounding and those two rivets are crucial to keep the sideplates squeezed tightly on the backplate.

As an alternative, get two 3/16" allen head cap screws from Ace Hardware because they have a flat head and will seat against the inside of the top plate. Get the long ones where the threads stop and you have an unthreaded portion at least 3/4" long and cut them off to the correct length. Take a grinder to the allen head and dress it down until it fits inside the top plate. Don't get the Grade 8 cap screws, get the softer ones if available so they will park nicely.

Other types of screws will work too, but most other types in that small size are threaded all the way to the head and those threads may make for a funky looking domed rivet. Besides, with the threading you lose quite a bit of the diameter and shear resistence.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts