1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't a modified pair of bolt cutters be used for this?I tried it with an extra bottem plate rivit I had.1919 rivits are harder to mush then the AK but it did work!

·
"man of the cloth" Loader
864 Posts
ffw,
I just used a grinder to take off that "extra" 1/3 of the head. It stays square and is fairly easy to pound out.
BA

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
He's talking about using a modified pair of bolt cutters to crush rivets(aka rivet squeezer) not cut the head. This method is used mostly by AK builders.
I would go for it as if worked on the trial peice then it should work for the real thing. To make them crush easier you could get a bigger pair of bolt cutters.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
How do you dome the heads?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
loboslanding said:
How do you dome the heads?[/QUOT

On the modified bolt cutter for a AK the jaws are ground to fit the area that you are working and in one side of the jaws a half round is ground, But this is done on AK verisions to support the round head rivet while the other side gets crushed. In theory it could be used both ways depending on what side of the rivet is supported and what side needs to be crushed.
http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
How are you setting your bottom plate rivets? You must already have a bucking bar of some sort.

If you don't have a bucking wedge you can use for those two rear top plate rivets, personally, I'd just take a grade 8 bolt the correct length and jam it and clamp it between the rivet heads on the inside.

Also, you want to set the rivets exactly perpendicular to the surface. Just a tad off angle will set the rivet crooked or the dome will be low on one side and high on the other. It's a careful process to get them uniform with a tool that impacts perpendicularly...a bolt cutter's jaws close on an angle and not parallel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use abucking bar for the bottom plate rivits and a spliting wedge for top plate rear rivits.I've used the grade 8 jambed bolt also.A lot of people are complaining about how hard these two are to install. You can grind on the bolt cutter heads to get any angle you want They are also adjusable for when they brake over.Never had a problem with any of my builds,just tring to help those who have.HEY!I'll build another 1919 to see how good theywork:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts