1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already told a couple of you about this on the phone but here is what happened. From May 7 - 21st I was away at annual training in camp Shelby, MS. We were driving back on the 20th and captain Banks (S4 Captain) received a terrible call. Apparently his son had gotten into the place where he stored his weapons and accidently shot himself. There are more details to this that don't need to be shared and I don't want to see this turn into a bashing session on the captain. What I will say is that his family could use a lot of help and if you are able he and his family would greatly appreciate it. This is the link to the page our unit set up for him https://www.gofundme.com/25dg7k4

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Have responded to accidental deaths of children and it is always heartbreaking. No judgement here, just sorrow for the parents who will likely be blaming themselves for years to come.

Happy to donate to the family, but not too cool about GoFundMe and their payment service getting 8% of the proceeds. If you are willing to PM either your mailing address or that of the family a check will go out pronto.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...a leson learned...

And this is the exact reason all my children...youngest is now 43...and all my grandchildren,were taught about firearms,safety and how to handle all firearms before they could walk. They were all shooting by age 3...handguns by age 5 and pump 12ga by 7-8. There were never any accidents or moments where there was any concern about safety. My heart aches when folks don't realize they have to train children about firearms at an early age....or these things happen. Condolences to the family...you should never have to bury a child.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
as someone who's lost a child..... i can tell you first hand it doesnt matter "how" it happened.... or even why... the childs life is over & the parents life is forever changed.

it NEVER goes away.

as to the what happened in this thread: as was said above, ive taught my kids guns safety & handling from day 1. its something that we all HAVE to do if you have firearms "open" in your home.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
When I , myself , was a wee one , my parents kept a Browning 1900 .32 ACP locked up in an old " treasure chest " style wooden trunk . To keep me safe . My best time , as a lad of five to eight or so , of picking the lock while they were up town , was 47 seconds . If I recall correctly .
My heart goes out to all involved .
Chris

·
Registered
534 Posts
My heart goes out to the families involved with this tragic loss. As a father and a grandfather I can't imagine what it would be like loosing a child, I shudder at the thought of it. I was raised in a home where I had access to any number of firearms and was taught to have respect for firearms and how to use them at a very young age. I raised my children the same way and we never experienced any accident's, thank God. Children are children though and they do foolish things.

Regardless of the circumstances, these parents will be haunted by this for the rest of their lives.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
So sad to hear about this. My condolences to the family. As sdk says, this is a heartbreak that never goes away. I've been at the funerals of children of friends of mine, and it is the toughest kind of loss to go through. It's hard enough when it is a health condition where you know the probabilities, but this kind of tragedy is going to be very hard on the whole family. It's beyond measure. I pray that they can find reconciliation, comfort and let go of any blame in the circumstances. Godspeed to the child, and blessings for his family.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My understanding is that all of his children have been taught gun safety and to respect the weapon. However mistakes still happened

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
My understanding is that all of his children have been taught gun safety and to respect the weapon. However mistakes still happened
This is why they are called "accidents".
My prayers to all involved. Parents are not to bury their children, it's against the law of nature. :(
CaptMax

·
Registered
338 Posts
For those that may have reservations about the percentage the 'gofundme' site takes, consider when this mechanism did not exist, it was much more difficult for those suffering to receive donations when financial assistance was needed the most.

Two years ago when my son was run down by a speeding car and nearly died, he amassed over 2 million dollars in medical bills and lost a leg, it matters not how good your insurance is, you will have financial problems. Thanks to the gofundme site and the wonderful people that donated to help him out he was able to barely keep his head above water. Without that funding mechanism, it would have been even worse.

My thoughts are out to that family.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Kyle my heart goes out to the parents and siblings as well as all the family members and friends that knew him. This is a loss they will struggle with every day for the rest of their lives and there is no greater loss than that of a child. I was shocked when you called and told me this on the way home from drill and am at a loss for words. I know they will never find peace with this and can only hope they can deal with it as a family together and work through it the best they can. Things like this can extract a very heavy toll on families and my prayers are with them. Russ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts