1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some help. First let me acknowledge that I am a suburban kid that has never gone deer hunting in his life. Maybe I will one day but my point is that I don't know much if anything on the subject. Here in Baltimore, we hunt rats and waterbugs, not deer. :) Mos of us have killed more deer with our cars than with guns...

Anyway, my Brother-in-Law who grew up around here now lives in WV. His Son, who is about 3 years old, loves deer! I was out in WV and the kid is spotting deer like its his job. I mean a constant lookout in the car. He has deer in his back yard and just loves them. I think its pretty awesome. He has his fake and real antlers and his toy deer but he enjoys seeing them the most. He is a pretty cool little kid who does not talk much but just lights up when he sees a deer.

So I have had the idea to get his a trail camera to put around. I think he would really find it fun to get pictures of deer! However I don't know crap about them. I don't want to get him junk that will be disappointing but I also don't have to overboard. My brother-in-law is going to be tasked with helping download these pictures, so its got to be user friendly so he does not mind. No parent wants toys that make them work if you know what I mean. I don't even care if its new or used but I could use some suggestions helping me pick out a good present for my nephew.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I run a number of trail cameras on the hunting land - everything Browning's to Truth cams. I have no issues with the cheaper Truth Cam models - pics are relatively good. Shutter speed is slower, but for the most part they work quite well. I probably have 500 pictures of game animals up at my place - oh, and one getaway truck at one in the morning flying down the driveway with my riding lawn mower! :D

Watching deer (and other wildlife) can be fun - especially for a younger kid.....good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
A good Trail-Cam can serve as a security device too!

I have a Bushnell HD. A bit on the higher end price wise. The basic settings in video are excellent and photo is good. Play with the settings a bit and you can get more videos/images in high-def. I've use this trail-cam as a security device in my house. One morning I came home from work to discover I had two windows broken and a pistol missing. After calling 911 to report I remembered that I had the trail-cam set up in the house. Reviewed the photos and sure enough it captured color photos of the perpetrator who I knew. He denied the B&E until the photos were produced. A confession followed, the pistol was returned, and he was convicted of a felony! Tho officers shook their head and said "who would have thought to use a trail camera".....

·
Registered
966 Posts
Primos black-out truth cam. Cost and resolution are good. Low light photos will be blury if subject is in motion. Not good enough to id a perp boosting your bicycle but good enough to know a deer came by. The black out model doesn't glow red when it takes IR photos. Animals don't see the red glow, but perp's will if you have dual duty in mind. The video mode sucks SD card memory, but fun if you have it on the birdfeeder the raccoon raids when it's not deer season. We have a big compost pile in the corner of the yard, adjacent to some pasture/woods. You can set your watch as to who and what visits it.

They are lots of fun, regardless of the season. Put one on a downed elk that was partially covered up during bow season, got a few hundred night photos of a very large mountain lion munching on it every two hours thru the night only to cover it up just at surnrise. The real kicker was that the first frame of the string was me setting it up in the late afternoon only to have a photo of the big kitty 28 minutes later checking on the carcass. Suddenly I decided that I need to modify the ghillie suit to accommodate my now, not so much a toy anymore, howdah pistol.

Natchez shooting supplies has good prices and service if you are up to mail ordering things.

B-D

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Here are a few from another angle - we have several cameras mounted most of the time for security reasons.....some are just before dark and some are early morning.....the pics with the trailer showing are from a Primos IR with glow lights - the other ones are from a "blackout " camera that doesn't glow red......

and yes - that camera at Amazon is basically the same one(s) I run - along with the blackout version also.....

·
Registered
966 Posts
How'd you get that Elk to lay down and go to sleep right there where the cat was ????
I dunno. You'd have to ask the cat. The elk was in the woods less than a quarter mile from my dad's house, where it was seen on his lawn alive and well a day before the opener. It was some kind of eery to see it so carefully covered up then to see a very large fresh paw print in the freshly pawed dirt next to it. Suddenly my really zippy-skippy compound bow, with it's super duper carefully honed to razor sharpness broad-heads and carbon fiber perfectly balanced arrows weren't feeling all that tough and mighty. I nock'd an arrow and did a very slow 360 while looking up into the trees then carefully backed out. A couple of years ago I bought a howdah pistol from Cabela's as a 'gotta have it' toy funded from visa rewards points and it's original purpose suddenly made a whole lot of sense.

That's the fun of game cameras. You see all sorts of things that are all around you. Our lawn, which is basically in the outskirts of Sacramento but adjacent to some undeveloped land, is a total critter party once the sun goes down. *****, skunks, coyotes, bobcats criss-cross it all night long. Never knew that until I got a couple of game cameras. Heck, I bet they'd even be good for figuring out where to hunt!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Here is another funny one:

White Black Radiography Black-and-white Monochrome photography

In the frames leading up to this, the cat suddenly becomes somehow aware of the camera. Dunno how or why, it may have made a noise or maybe it could sense the IR some way. In any event, it took me forever to figure out what it is of.

Nose and whiskers.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I would certainly agree about the usefulness of camera's. Until I actually had my own I used to scoff at me hunting buddies about what a waste of time they were - always showing when game was three AFTER or BEFORE you went out and set up. In my case usually well after hunting hours.

Now I swear by them because of the information derived from patterns and sightings. Besides that - they are fun. Which is what this thread is about. :eek: Sorry for hijacking a little bit of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts