1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine has a PSL that cannot hold a group to save its life. The best I could muster was about 5 inch groups at 100 yards. At 300, hitting a man sized target with any consistancy is near impossible. I understand that this is a DMR and not a sniper gun, but I should be able to shoot coffee cup sized groups at 100 yards! Nothing on the gun seems out of whack. Everything is tight, nothing is binding. I tried everything from garbage Egyptian ammo to standard Romy to the uber expensive Russian 7N1 ammo. Nothing seems to improve the shot grouping. He bought the gun new around 2008, it hasnt been boogered with. Ive heard some say to remove the muzzle break, but I dont want to go buggering his gun unless I know its a common problem....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
799 Posts
I can hit clay pigeons with open sights/ at 100yards, pigeons laying in the upper part of the berm! Bench rest it and shoot at 25 yds to see where your sights are at!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Several were saying a string of shots would heat the barrel and cause wandering . If so , I was wondering if you shot a group of 5-10 shots quick , then ambled out to check your target ( like I do ) or if you do the one shot every 3 min. thing ( which I have never done in my life ) .
Chris

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Several were saying a string of shots would heat the barrel and cause wandering . If so , I was wondering if you shot a group of 5-10 shots quick , then ambled out to check your target ( like I do ) or if you do the one shot every 3 min. thing ( which I have never done in my life ) .
Chris
Got ya. I was shooting 1 round every 30-40 seconds, 3-5 rounds and then stop for 4-5 minutes. I REALLY find it hard to believe that a DMR can only sustain 1 shot every minute without overheating and throwing groups. What good what such a rifle be in combat? At the rate of 1 round per minute, 300-500 yards, I can call in mortars faster.

I refuse to think I have a 'bad gun'. (everybody wanst to blame the arrow, not the archer) There HAS to be some problem here, either human error or mechanical (scope mount not tight enough or binding of the gas piston) thats throwing this gun off. Im going to try and shoot it again this weekend, keeping my shots to 1 every 30 seconds. (Ill confirm my current cold zero with 3 shots, 1 minute apart) Im going to torque the hell out of the scope mount and use off the shelf Romaian ammo. If I cant consistantly hit clay pidgeons at this rate, then the gun isnt worth keeping.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It does sound like you may have a problem with the muzzle. Even a little ding will let gas escape unevenly and it will deflect the projectile. It's the last point of contact...

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Scott,

got a pile of these guns built here at the house... while im not a MOA shooter, these guns have never let me down for anything ive chose to shoot with them.

man sized targets at 400m are no problem. just cant see good enough for any farther on open sights...

these guns wandering only happens with barrel heating & rapid fire mag dumps. even then you learn how your gun crawls and adjust with it.

there is something wrong with either how your shooting it or with the gun itself.

things to check:

MUZZLE BRAKE: really common to be bent or bowed

barrel: if your running the long barrel PSL, they are very common to get bent! also.. BAD CROWN! known for this too!

receiver twist: this is a lot of gun on a stamped receiver. they do NOT pass the drive over test & the entire receiver will twist. easy to fix once you find it.. twist it back.

love these guns as they are just an AK on roids.

since its pretty common for us to shoot them a lot: we always shorten that barrel down to 18.25"

as mentioned, cant see far enough to need that long barrel, it also takes the crawl out of them & ive not had a single one of these yet that wasnt at least as good if not better than the long barrel at 400M.

now if your gonna try to go 500m or more? then yeah the longer barrel & a minute between shots is gonna be your thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts