1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running Tula 308 this weekend and I had no less then 5-7 case separations in my 1919s. The guns run perfect with brass cased at 3 clicks. After the first two case seperations I set the guns at 2 clicks and still had cases rupture. Look at the photos but I think the web on this 308 is not make correctly. Blowing the cases in the 1919 was not too bad but shooting these rounds in any other gun may possibly cause worse issues. After this weekend I don't think I'll be shooting Tula again and I'll be sending them a email here shortly. This is just a heads up for anyone thinking about purchasing it.... Finger Nail Skin Hand Eye Finger Hand Wood Thumb Nail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Tula already has a bad reputation for problems. IIRC a batch of it came through without even being crimped, and bullets fell right out of the cases......

Yes it might be the exception and not the rule, but personally I wouldn't take the stuff for free........

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Interesting. I've ben running Tula 9mm for a long time and in pretty high volumes in full auto and dont have any problems, but 9mm and 308 are of course totally different animals. I've been planning on buying some Tula 308 to run in my 1919, perhaps I'll juat start with a single caae to aee how it runs before going "all in" on a large purchase.

Have you worked with more than one case? Curious if it is an issur related to a specific lot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So far this is the lot I have been running. I bought 10k to shoot... I still have to go through the other cases to see if they have different lot numbers... I have contacted Tula about this and waiting to see what happens next.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this is Tulammo response to me using their ammo in a belt fed....

Unfortunately, the Tulammo .308 Win is not made to be used as linked ammo on
a machine gun. We cannot take back linked ammo, the cases would be altered
and it is not worth the cost to ship them back to the East coast. We
suggest going back to the Gun dealer to return the ammo. We will
work with The dealer on some sort of deal on their end.

So your telling me their steel ammo is not made for linked weapons? ....

I'm still fighting them to get my money back... Pretty disappointing....

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm guessing they counted on the ammo being fired out of guns with chambers that fully support the round. I would guess that the web is thinner because of this, and my memory is that steel doesn't have the flexibility and stretch that brass ammo does. I've fired a fair amount of the stuff through a PTR-91 and never had an issue. 9mm and 40cal both worked fine for me as well, with the 9mm going out of a Sten.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I would suggest sectioning 1 of the cases. I wonder if they are forming them like the 54R cases

See below
Ammunition Bottle Brass Metal

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Tula

Is there any mention or notations or instructions or disclaimers printed on the box that the ammunition came in that says it is not to be used in a belt fed weapon using metal links? If it is only for bolt guns and mag fed guns it should be noted on the packaging or how else are you supposed to know that.
I'd see if you can start contacting others that have also had issues with there .308.
Perhaps a class action suit or a threat of one would get them to take it back what's 10,000 rounds worth to them in the PR business
Was the weapon that you were firing the ammo out of a machine gun? They claim not to be used in a machine gun. Only in response to your request to have them take it back. There is nothing on the packaging that claims it can't be used in a machine gun.
A semi auto is not a machine gun by definition or by function. So if you were shooting it in a semi auto it's not a machine gun. There fore even if it was printed on the packaging you still are using it appropriately .

I don't see how it would only crack were it did because it was being fed by a gun using a linked feeding device.
Nor do I see how you would be altering the case in anyway by linking it.
Shoot some of the batch in a bolt gun , or mag fed Semi auto and see if it still cracks. I would not want to shoulder it next to my face in a bolt gun or Semi auto for that matter so you might want to bench it .
A 1919 has a bunch of metal around the action and a nice big ejection port to vent hot gases and brass bits from. Your lucky it let loose in that.

Keep us posted
Best of luck with your return.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I got to see this in person. It is very impressive what a little 308 round does to a 1919. I have had nothing but bad experiences with Tula steel. That being said I am usually having to remove a case from the chamber of an AR that the head has separated from for a customer.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just ran a bunch of Tula 308 through an HK-51 with no issues over the weekend at Eden. No flash suppressant, crowd pleaser, but dirty as hell. Ran great.

Don't know about your gun, but A-4s are supposed to be head spaced tight. One click out to start and if it binds when getting hot, go out another. 3 clicks cold to start is just asking for separations, especially with steel cased. So what you have going on is perfectly normal.

I'm planning on picking up a bunch of Tula, especially for the 308 HKs. I'm not done chewing through a couple pallets of 8mm for the A-4.

By da way, I picked up 3 brandy new 8mm barrels at SAR East last spring, any one interested in a barrel?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I always run NATO brass through my 1919 and was going to try to run some Tula through it just to see how it would handle it. I use that stuff with my PTR-91 and it seems to love it, a bit dirty, but very little issues. I guess after reading about all the problems with Tula I'll just stay with what works

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
So this is Tulammo response to me using their ammo in a belt fed....

Unfortunately, the Tulammo .308 Win is not made to be used as linked ammo on
a machine gun. We cannot take back linked ammo, the cases would be altered
and it is not worth the cost to ship them back to the East coast. We
suggest going back to the Gun dealer to return the ammo. We will
work with The dealer on some sort of deal on their end.

So your telling me their steel ammo is not made for linked weapons? ....

I'm still fighting them to get my money back... Pretty disappointing....

Sounds like they are under the impression that it is all linked. Have you made sure they understand that the ammo is still sealed in the factory boxes?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Was the weapon that you were firing the ammo out of a machine gun? No but there is no real difference in the operating cycle between a full and semi 1919A4They claim not to be used in a machine gun. Only in response to your request to have them take it back. There is nothing on the packaging that claims it can't be used in a machine gun.
A semi auto is not a machine gun by definition or by function. So if you were shooting it in a semi auto it's not a machine gun. But they operate the same, see aboveThere fore even if it was printed on the packaging you still are using it appropriately .

I don't see how it would only crack were it did because it was being fed by a gun using a linked feeding device. It cracks there because in the browning, the web of the case at the rim is unsupported and this Tula case is made thinner (but to spec) in this area, therefore weaker. The US ammo has a thicker web at the base so it will not rupture when firing in a 1919 that does not support the rear of the case.
Nor do I see how you would be altering the case in anyway by linking it. the link scratches the protective finish and exposes the steel to moisture/rust = weaker case.
Shoot some of the batch in a bolt gun , or mag fed Semi auto and see if it still cracks. It shouldn't because the case is fully supported in the chamberI would not want to shoulder it next to my face in a bolt gun or Semi auto for that matter so you might want to bench it .
A 1919 has a bunch of metal around the action and a nice big ejection port to vent hot gases and brass bits from. Your lucky it let loose in that.

Keep us posted
Best of luck with your return.
My thoughts to your questions.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've run 150 rounds of this thru a Type 92 on 30 round feed strips. No problems. My lot number is J273-15 85/24/09. Looks to be a newer lot then you have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts