1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@ScottD he started his first post with attitude. and maybe a little unfair with such a small data set, but 20%+ of his posts have mentioned his status as a vietnam vet. I think he just likes to tell people.

maybe just assumed that we would all have his back on the damages and blame his neighbor too.
First of All I admit my error but I'm not the one with attitude. I don't PLAY with guns.Why are you guys being so adversarial?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I will point out that if you handle firearms long enough, **** happens. We pretty much all have had NDs. the trick is to learn from them, even better to learn from others. I killed a dresser many years ago, had a 1911 hammer follow the slide down when loading. (sear problem.) I stopped carrying 1911s . Shot a clock off the wall as a kid, semi 22 when loading ( in the house of course). Some issues are mechanical, Some negligent, some just sloppy or distraction. When I was working in the real world use of firearms, we shared a LOT of Operational experience between .gov, MIL and LEA. No matter how many barriers you put in place, people will find ways to have issues. You must make an effort to be as safe as you can or things end badly. Count your blessings that an ND only embarrasses you or costs a little money.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Use a T-block (it's inserted between the bolt and barrel) when the gun is not on the line being fired.

IMG_2142 (2).jpg

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have noticed that there are members of this forum that are always quick to start sht with newer members. It’s almost like a setup to get into a heated argument with newer members, most of the time with fewer than 20 posts. I guess it’s kinda like a big dik contest sort of thing.... Gets kind of annoying after awhile.

·
11,313 Posts
Why are you guys being so adversarial?
A few reason that I will detail. your first message on the site accused me of being antifa. a little funny but ridiculous and started your presence on an adversarial foot. A little redacted just to save space

Hello
This is lress53. I am a Vietnam Combat veteran 13B40 1969-1970 1St Cav 2nd 8th. I am a bit concerned about the Moderator Rory. It sounds like he might be a member of Antifa from the way he is adversarial with common sense and the other members
Just an observation

You blame your neighbor for not clearing a weapon that you say you cleaned with a live round still inside. I am terrible about cleaning guns in general but pretty much every cleaning operation includes some level of bore cleansing. hard to belive that you actually cleaned it then. so truth or still just looking for emotional support from the gun guys?

Yes sir I even cleaned the barrell month ago with live round. The neighbor admitted to forgetting to clear. My insurance company is suing him. This lesson cost me 4-5K out of pocket. There goes my side plate
passive aggressive or at least sarcastic response to others who are trying to give your our perspective and at no point does it feel like you take any ownership of the issue. all posts still point to it being that dastardly neighbor. also second reference to combat status.

I guess Im not as perfect as you. Yes I failed to clear the round after removing belt.It was the first time I fired the weapon. I did not hand the weapon to my neighbor he picked it up and failed to clear I am a Vietnam combat vet and have cleared many weapons but never a belt fed.
3rd reference to combat status. out of what was 14 posts you mention this 3 times. thats over 20% of your posts to date. do you bring it up this much in general conversation too? not to take away from anyone's past service, but i don't know why you keep bringing it up in this post? is this to show that you should have the street cred to own the 1919?

Agree totally I have handled firearms for over 60 years including Vietnam in 1969. This is the most stupid error I've ever committed

all said, the others here have shared their negligent discharge stories. pretty much everyone else, though, starts with "I screwed up. I... I.... I...." not "the neighbor did this thing, with my gun when i wasn't paying attention"

The site is generally quite positive. and i may be laying it on a little extra because of how you started off. I'm a pretty nice guy and most of the others here provide a rich history of ability and experience. Many know more about this platform and others than most of us would ever even scratch the surface of.

so adversarial, a little for sure. in this post it is to beat the sense of what you should be doing in this situation and a little shaming you in to doing the right thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have noticed that there are members of this forum that are always quick to start sht with newer members. It’s almost like a setup to get into a heated argument with newer members, most of the time with fewer than 20 posts. I guess it’s kinda like a big dik contest sort of thing.... Gets kind of annoying after awhile.
Thanks

Let's put this baby sht to bed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Twenty years in the Army, three years of law enforcement and many years of recreational shooting- I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a case of accidental discharge. In every circumstance I’ve seen, heard about or read about, if a weapon was fired unintentionally it was always the result of negligence. Meaning, someone failed to clear a weapon or failed handle a loaded weapon appropriately. You can make excuses all you want, but if you pay attention and follow correct safety procedures, you’re much less likely to be negligent. Pay attention. Don’t count on good fortune to give you or a bystander a second chance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Remington 700, sks and FN pistols I have seen accidental discharge. That is if we are referring to accidental discharge as gun related issues.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I have an SKS story....I was at a shooting party and a buddy of mine had an SKS sitting on his lap and he was loading a stripper clip...I think he had his finger on the trigger...When he pulled out the stripper the bolt slammed shut and fired a round...It was pointed in a safe direction thankfully and nobody was hurt ....Could have been real bad because there was about 40 people at this party.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We had a guy get killed at the county shooting range when he inserted a 10 round stripper clip into a sks and slammed the action shut and it went full auto. He was sitting at the shooting bunch and the sks somehow got behind him.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Years ago my father was shot in the head with an unloaded 22 cal pellet gun sitting at his desk at Crosman Arms. It almost killed him and I still have the pellet they dug out of his head and keep it as a reminder. We were taught respect and safety of firearms at a very young age and long before we were allowed to fire a weapon. Accidents happen and usually because the weapon is not cleared. 30 years ago back when I was a chef one of my food reps came home from hunting with his brother and they leaned their guns on the wall and his brothers four year old son proceeded to pick up his dads rifle and pretended he was hunting like dad and ended up killing his six year old sister, all because the weapon was not cleared. The guy has never been the same and never touched a gun again, Very tragic.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I was going to start my own thread awhile ago but this seems appropriate to post her and give myself a little **** over my mistake.

I was won a RIA 1917A1 that at the time was just welded up on the bolt and was claimed to be bullet hole damage on the water jacket. ( I now believe it is more than likely battle damage of some sort but not a bullet) At first the side plate was uncut. Later the ATF got involved and demilled the side plate.

So for possibly 70 years the gun had a round in it. It was welded and fixed to a 1919A4 tripod and the feet were welded to something and it sat on display somewhere. Ended up at Auction, ATF got involved and was told they took it and demilled it. Sent through FED Ex. I decided I did not want the side plate attached like it was and wanted to be legal. Used a torch on the bolt handle. Finally got it out, fell on the floor I turned to pick it up and the round in the chamber exploded. It messed up the extractor and shot a round through the end of the end cap. Round also went through a plastic table. I was hit with shrapnel in half a dozen places and my right arm puffed up like a baseball.

So this gun went through a bunch of knuckleheads until I finally cleared the round the hard way. If only I would have just soaked it in the kroil tank. Although I probably would have pulled the trigger like an idiot and shot my tool box or something.

I will share more photos and info of this gun when I get the time on a separate post.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
For future range trips....when you are done firing. Open the topcover, remove belt, pull bolt rearward twice examining bolt face and chamber face. On 2nd pull, lift extractor straight up, slide it to left behind the feed guides on the left side plate. Ride bolt forward until the extractor rests behind the guide holding the bolt rearward. Visually inspect chamber and feedway and t-slot again. Let gun cool. A good follow on is to run the cleaning rod down barrel to verify it is clear. This is also where it is handy to have the chamber flags to insert (if the barrel is cool enough.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
For future range trips....when you are done firing. Open the topcover, remove belt, pull bolt rearward twice examining bolt face and chamber face. On 2nd pull, lift extractor straight up, slide it to left behind the feed guides on the left side plate. Ride bolt forward until the extractor rests behind the guide holding the bolt rearward. Visually inspect chamber and feedway and t-slot again. Let gun cool. A good follow on is to run the cleaning rod down barrel to verify it is clear. This is also where it is handy to have the chamber flags to insert (if the barrel is cool enough.)
Thanks I've got the drill down pat

·
Registered
912 Posts
Iress53 I would like to thank you for posting this, it is easy to get lax sometimes even when you are familiar with a weapon system and this has been a good reminder. The important thing is no-one was hurt, cars and walls can be fixed. Most of us that have been around firearms as long as I have, know someone or seen someone or themself that have had a ND. Just a good reminder to all of us to always double check.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,309 Posts
ND`s are part of life in the gun world ,i had one my self . I had a P92 completely disassembled and the mag all the way across the room !! I was doing a feed ramp/trigger job on it so the barrel was certainly empty .... Took it apart and reassembled it several times ,never going and getting the mag ...... On final assembly i pointed it in a safe direction and pulled the trigger BANG ......To this very day i can not figure out how a Glaser safety shell found it`s way into the pistol ,there was no ammo in the work area much less an expensive Glaser round !! But it happened !! What can i say ..... Left me shaken !!
I used to go to a certian gun shop often but after the third ND in the shop i never went back !!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Iress53 I would like to thank you for posting this, it is easy to get lax sometimes even when you are familiar with a weapon system and this has been a good reminder. The important thing is no-one was hurt, cars and walls can be fixed. Most of us that have been around firearms as long as I have, know someone or seen someone or themself that have had a ND. Just a good reminder to all of us to always double check.
Thank You sir
I'm still reeling from my error

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Just piling on. I haven't had a ND - yet. My neighbor/renter calls one night. "Mike, can you come take a look at something?" I head over, expecting a water leak or some other typical annoyance. As he opens the door, he says, "This is kinda embarrassing." and points at the floor-to-ceiling mirror in the foyer. There it was, a 1 1/4" hole surrounded by that distinctive spiderweb crack pattern. The bullet had already been through one wall before it hit the mirror. This was a guy in his 40s who had been around firearms and shot regularly his whole life. He and his USAF PJ buddy had been handling a recent acquisition. If it can happen to people with that level of training and experience, it can happen to anyone. Be safe out there. The hole was near the bottom, so I just glued some wainscoting to the lower 32" of the mirror. MSG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just piling on. I haven't had a ND - yet. My neighbor/renter calls one night. "Mike, can you come take a look at something?" I head over, expecting a water leak or some other typical annoyance. As he opens the door, he says, "This is kinda embarrassing." and points at the floor-to-ceiling mirror in the foyer. There it was, a 1 1/4" hole surrounded by that distinctive spiderweb crack pattern. The bullet had already been through one wall before it hit the mirror. This was a guy in his 40s who had been around firearms and shot regularly his whole life. He and his USAF PJ buddy had been handling a recent acquisition. If it can happen to people with that level of training and experience, it can happen to anyone. Be safe out there. The hole was near the bottom, so I just glued some wainscoting to the lower 32" of the mirror. MSG

View attachment 100216
As Rod Stewart sang "every picture tells a story,story"

21 - 40 of 41 Posts