1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty pleased with the purchase except the 1918 box is totally rotten (vendor told me box was in bad shape). I have a box from Len on order to replace it. The 1928 is already setup for 8mm and .308. The 1918 needs the .308 conversion. OOW said they should have some .308 conversions ready in about a month.

How do I mount the 1918 to a work bench? It appears I need to screw it down with wood screws into the bench????

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Strat..

Those look great.. A fathers day gift to yourself ? :D

I wonder how many rounds have been put through the hopper of that 1928 ?

Real nice stuff...

I can only wish for now...

Tim

·
Registered
96 Posts
When you play with them I am curious how the hopper feed works.
Building a hopper for mine is on my "to do" list.

·
Registered
454 Posts
....I've had unending problems with the cartridges in my 1918 belter hanging up in the verticle feed . Since it takes 2 guys to do new belts anyway, I've taken off the verticle feed and one fella just feeds the hole while I turn the crank and alter the tension on the belt as required. If the belt has been 'preopened' using a cartridge first, it goes pretty good.

·
Registered
454 Posts
...But, if one of you machinists made a metal/plastic..hell, even a wooden hopper like the 1928 machine has, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. :eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
30calmachinegunner said:
The hopper is the 1928 model loader, UPS was kind to me today also, 20 cans of Romainian 8mm:D

Hah. I bet your driver was thinking what my driver said during my last order.

"Maybe now my truck can go uphill." :eek: :D

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Belt loading FUN...

Strat....Nice pics...awesome display!! I mounted the M1918 on a 20MM ammo can lid/top....at one end. I used 1/4x20 bolts/nuts w/washers and can sit at the other end and crank away in comfort. You might wait 'til the manual/case arrives...it will give you complete set-up and operational procedures along with trouble-shooting. The M1918 should be lubed and adjusted....especially the needles adjusted .100 from the perpendicular. Have fun......!

·
"man of the cloth" Loader
864 Posts
Polish it

Dave D. said:
....I've had unending problems with the cartridges in my 1918 belter hanging up in the verticle feed . Since it takes 2 guys to do new belts anyway, I've taken off the verticle feed and one fella just feeds the hole while I turn the crank and alter the tension on the belt as required. If the belt has been 'preopened' using a cartridge first, it goes pretty good.
Dave D.
Try taking an old hack saw blade and grind off the teeth so that it?s a little narrower than the inside channel of the chute. Wrap it with fine grit sand paper and then use a ?? or 3/8? piece of plywood to move it back and forth and smooth out the channel and especially the back as there are likely still machine marks on it. Move up to a very fine grit when it feels like it needs it.
Hope this helps,
BA

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Upandatum said:
Hey Strat..

Those look great.. A fathers day gift to yourself ? :D

I wonder how many rounds have been put through the hopper of that 1928 ?

Real nice stuff...

I can only wish for now...

Tim

Thanks Tim!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
L999here said:
Strat....Nice pics...awesome display!! I mounted the M1918 on a 20MM ammo can lid/top....at one end. I used 1/4x20 bolts/nuts w/washers and can sit at the other end and crank away in comfort. You might wait 'til the manual/case arrives...it will give you complete set-up and operational procedures along with trouble-shooting. The M1918 should be lubed and adjusted....especially the needles adjusted .100 from the perpendicular. Have fun......!

Thanks for the tips Len. Did my check arrive yet?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Strat...

....not yet....looking intently at my mail lady for mail from your area. Want to send you the case immediatly....the original looks to have been thru a war !! LOL....

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
L999here said:
....not yet....looking intently at my mail lady for mail from your area. Want to send you the case immediatly....the original looks to have been thru a war !! LOL....

Yep....the original case loses about 2% of it's material every time I pick it up. It's literally falling apart. :)

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
M1918 case on the way....

57Strat said:
Yep....the original case loses about 2% of it's material every time I pick it up. It's literally falling apart. :)
Strat....check just arrived by mail....case on the way w/manual. Thank you for your order.....Len

1 - 16 of 16 Posts