1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those who use metal links in New York. If I link 10 rounds together but have multiple 10 rd links with me does that violate the NY SAFE act because they could be added together and make a longer than 10 round belt? I'm asking this because I'm visiting western NY for a few weeks and would like to link up a bunch of 10 rd strings so when I get back to Ohio it'll be quick to connect them. Thanks for info in advance.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I know in NJ, where the mag limit is 15, it was generally accepted that you may have as many 15 round belts as you want, just don't leave the last half link empty.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I called the SAFE Act hotline and was told that I could have the links but could not link more than 10 together. Frankly, I'm terrified to even have more than 10 links on me.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
A question for those who use metal links in New York. If I link 10 rounds together but have multiple 10 rd links with me does that violate the NY SAFE act because they could be added together and make a longer than 10 round belt? I'm asking this because I'm visiting western NY for a few weeks and would like to link up a bunch of 10 rd strings so when I get back to Ohio it'll be quick to connect them. Thanks for info in advance.
Many here will give you sofa lawyer advice....but, as long time NY resident, (and gun builder, and C&R holder) this is what Im going to tell you...

The SAFE act is one giant grey area. We could discuss this all day long, but technically, 10 round linked sections *are* legal. However, just because you can.....doesnt mean you should. The SAFE act doesnt address belt feds real well, nor does it address loading links. Are you planning on bringing/shooting a 1919? Unless its got spades, you are now in SAFE territory. (pistol grip, semi auto, feeds from a detachable device)

The whole situation is a giant mess right now and subject to the individual interpretation of the State Trooper who pulls you over/gets called to your shooting range, etc. My advice to you is to avoid any kind of belt fed, any kind of 'assault' style weapon while you visit our great state.

Many guys here want to talk **** about 'well, its my right, and I'd do so-and-so', or 'the law says such and such'.....I prefer to error on the side of caution. Its just not worth the possible citation, arrest, lawyer fees, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
10 rounds liked are fine and there is no limit as to how many belts of 10 you can have. They got us on the last go round when they changed the verbiage to
"high capacity feeding devices"
so no cloth belts and nothing over 10 rounds linked and you will be fine. Welcome to the evil empire lol where are you headed?

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm heading to Chautauqua lake in Jamestown NY for family summer vacation. I actually have full auto 1919 where I live in Ohio but wanna use my downtime to get a bunch of 10 round metal linked belts together in NY then string them together after I get back to Ohio. I obviously won't be bringing my 1919 or any guns into NY except for a couple bolt action WW2 sniper replicas that I'm working on. Just checking with those who live in NY that might know what the rules are for linked ammo.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm heading to Chautauqua lake in Jamestown NY for family summer vacation. I actually have full auto 1919 where I live in Ohio but wanna use my downtime to get a bunch of 10 round metal linked belts together in NY then string them together after I get back to Ohio. I obviously won't be bringing my 1919 or any guns into NY except for a couple bolt action WW2 sniper replicas that I'm working on. Just checking with those who live in NY that might know what the rules are for linked ammo.
You are bringing a bunch of ammo...and a bunch of links.....to and from NY just so you can link them together into 10 rounders....while on vacation...?
You are a strange bird. :tongue:

As stated earlier, yes, its legal. But....if you got pulled over.....you gots some 'splainin to do'! (95% of the State guys here dont know **** about gun laws or the SAFE act. They just see 'gun stuff' and react. I dont mean this as derogatory, just an honest assessment.)

Whatever you choose, make sure you try and get to Letchworth State Park and Niagara Falls while in Western NY. (Bring your passport....the American side of the falls is a friggen slum....the Canadian side is really nice)

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I know in NJ, where the mag limit is 15, it was generally accepted that you may have as many 15 round belts as you want, just don't leave the last half link empty.
Just to add to what Belty says, you can have more then 15 rounds in a belt if the belt is in a sealed crate. Once the seal on the crate is broken than the belts have to be no than 15 rounds.

--fjruple

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
This is, as ScottD said, a big grey area, and one the police are not well versed in.

The issue of number of rounds in a magazine was addressed in western NY federal court by Judge Skretchny. He said that limiting a feeding device to 7 rounds (as was then the law) is unconstitutional. He did NOT say the limit is 10. However, he did remark that if one had a 10 round magazine it could be filled to capacity- and this has created this de facto wives tale of 10 rounds. But legally, there is no limit to the number of rounds.

Furthermore, if one imports a C&R high-cap feeding device over 10 rounds one had 30 days to register it. So technically, you can bring in 200 linked rounds, so long as the belt is more than 50 years old.

That said, again, the police are unfamiliar with the law and the federal ruling. I have little doubt if an anti-gun cop sees you with more than 10 rounds in a belt you run serious risk of being arrested, because he won't listen. You certainly can beat it in court, but at what cost?

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info. I expected there would be a big grey area here and as was said, one could probably win in a court but why go thru all that potential hassle since it's not critical for me to get my ammo linked then. I was just trying to use some of my downtime to save a few hours at home.
I think for my sake, I'll leave the links at home and totally avoid the pitfalls. I know the cops can be kinda strict in NY as when I first visited 15 years ago, it took just 5 minutes for them to come by and stop our July 4th fireworks fun (even though I knew it's illegal in NY I couldn't help myself).
And thanks for the Letchworth State Park tip. Looks like a cool place. Canadian Niagara side is the best as well.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I'd leave the ammo home and relax if you're here on vacation. Make no mistake about it - new york is a police state - plain and simple - all they're missing is the brown shirts.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'd leave the ammo home and relax if you're here on vacation. Make no mistake about it - new york is a police state - plain and simple - all they're missing is the brown shirts.
Dave, please dont insult the Brownshirts like that....at least the Nationalists stood for something and had some internal regulation..........

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks for the statement about the brown shirts Scott. It's a true statement when compared with what I've read about law enforcement in the 'Empire State' and frankly, how sad is that! Of course I live in California....
Dave, please dont insult the Brownshirts like that....at least the Nationalists stood for something and had some internal regulation..........

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
fjruple SEZ: "....you can have more then 15 rounds in a belt if the belt is in a sealed crate. Once the seal on the crate is broken than the belts have to be no than 15 rounds."

MAGIC! :devillook: And my car turns into a pumpkin, dumping all those 15 rounders into the highway at midnight!!!

Carry ON!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
132 Posts
Trouble in these cases is the person you talked to on the hotline can't be held accountable for what they told you if a local cop or DA interprets it differently and may not have fully understood your question. Sort of like asking an ATF agent a question and not having it in writing....basically it means nothing later if someone else sees it differently.

If you are using disintegrating links, then of course you can add as many as you like so they can use "intent" against you....not saying they will or that I agree with this stance but saying they could.

IMO the safest way to do it to stay out of the gray area would be to use cut down cloths belts, cut to 10 rounds. If I had a MG3 for example I would not use NATO links, but rather belts with the spiral wire connector removed at the 10th link. This IMO is the only sure way to stay clear of gray "intent" area is fixed (non-disintegrating) belts no larger than 10 rounds. Others may disagree, but IMO its not worth the risk when dealing with issues like this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts