1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have some links to info on identifying 1917 tripods?

I have three and would like to get rid of two after I figure out the details of what all of them are.

I'll try to post some pictures later this week, hoping someone might have a nice list of links to help me identify.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Hi,
I have three and would like to get rid of two after I figure out the details of what all of them are.
I'll try to post some pictures later this week, hoping someone might have a nice list of links to help me identify.
Thanks!
1917 or 1917A1 tripods?

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
this is a 1917 tripod and cradle
M1917_Browning.jpg Do you mean 1917a1 tripods?

True 1917 tripods are tough to find and there are major differences, hopefully these pictures come thru but if you do a web search on them you will find more pictures.
This one is a 1917A1 tripod and cradle
IMG_3170.jpg

If it is in fact a 1917 tripod I would be interested in one as would many others here. Call if you have questions with identification on them. five85 7four9 8880 Russ

·
Registered
313 Posts
Always Interested

I second the I'm interested bandwagon.

Dan
dan at Inlandmachine dot com

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
I would be interested.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
SoldierB if they are 1917A1 tripods they range from 1000-2500 but if they are in fact true 1917 tripods the price of fun goes up really fast but keep in mind there are many variables as to condition and how complete they are. Russ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

It appears they are indeed 1917A1's:

Group photo

Cradle 1

Cradle 2

Cradle 3

Tripod A

Tripod B

Tripod C

Apologies in advance for the poor quality photos. I can get some higher quality, let me know what areas I should snap pictures of.

On Cradle 2, the knobs are more rounded, the other two cradles' knobs look like they have a somewhat sharper chamfer. Also on cradle 2, the transverse (?) knob seems to be missing the pins that the transverse knobs on the other two cradles have. The holes are there, but no pins sticking out. All knobs seem to function.

The leather straps are there on all 3 tripods, the end of one is missing on Tripod A. The leather straps are held on by a plate that looks possibly riveted to the leg, but it's just plain metal painted to match the leg, it's not a brass tag / data plate. The brass rings are stationary on two of the tripods, and on one of them the brass ring will spin.

Let me know if you need any additional information from me.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The leather straps are held on by a plate that looks possibly riveted to the leg, but it's just plain metal painted to match the leg,
Would you please post pictures of the plates?

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Looks like all 3 went through the lend lease rebuild none have data plates and the cradle pins have been swapped. Not bad looking tripods OOW was selling these in the 700 range the past few years at the creek but they are out now so the prices are climbing and yes they are 1917A1 tripods.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Still Interested

Dan
dan at Inlandmachine dot com

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for the info.

It appears they are indeed 1917A1's:

Group photo

Cradle 1

Cradle 2

Cradle 3

Tripod A

Tripod B

Tripod C

Apologies in advance for the poor quality photos. I can get some higher quality, let me know what areas I should snap pictures of.

On Cradle 2, the knobs are more rounded, the other two cradles' knobs look like they have a somewhat sharper chamfer. Also on cradle 2, the transverse (?) knob seems to be missing the pins that the transverse knobs on the other two cradles have. The holes are there, but no pins sticking out. All knobs seem to function.

The leather straps are there on all 3 tripods, the end of one is missing on Tripod A. The leather straps are held on by a plate that looks possibly riveted to the leg, but it's just plain metal painted to match the leg, it's not a brass tag / data plate. The brass rings are stationary on two of the tripods, and on one of them the brass ring will spin.

Let me know if you need any additional information from me.

Thanks again for all the help.
I will take one for sure. Let me know

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
The knobs have a big outer part you grab onto . On the innerside a ring is threaded over the knob . Those pins are for your fingers to " grab" so you can turn that inner ring .
The big rings are held on by two up-side down "L"-ish shaped pieces , the long legs of which are threaded and the short legs fit into a groove on the underside of the rings . If you look at the underside of the " deck " the ring rides in , you should see a small one at the front which is bolted down by a machine screw nut . At the back ( gunner's end ) you should see a larger , bell shaped group . This can be loosened or tightened to lock the ring in place . See if one is loose or missing and if the other two locked down .
Chris

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Some things to check .
See if those big brass rings are rewelded put togethers are original . Just follow the number markings around the dial . Welded ones will show disruptions in the scale .
Check the block in the front of the cradel , the T&E body , the knob inner rings , and the center block of the tripod to see if they are brass or steel ,
More brass = more $$$
Also , does the left cradel sideplate have an extra hole just in front of the area the T&E pin is chained to it ? The T&E pin is held in it rather than in the T&E with gun dismounted.
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some things to check .
See if those big brass rings are rewelded put togethers are original . Just follow the number markings around the dial . Welded ones will show disruptions in the scale .
Check the block in the front of the cradel , the T&E body , the knob inner rings , and the center block of the tripod to see if they are brass or steel ,
More brass = more $$$
Also , does the left cradel sideplate have an extra hole just in front of the area the T&E pin is chained to it ? The T&E pin is held in it rather than in the T&E with gun dismounted.
Chris
Hi Chris, thanks for the questions...here are the details on each of the cradles, let me know if there is anything else I should check:

cradle 1:

outer knobs: not brass
inner brass rings: not rewelded
pintle block: brass
T&E body: brass
inner rings: brass
T&E pin holding hole
transverse inner ring missing 1 of 4 pins

cradle 2

outer knobs: not brass
inner brass rings: not rewelded
pintle block: brass