1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a complete, original Vickers lock made by Colt for the Russian contract Vickers guns in 7.62X54R. All parts Colt u/v marked. Lock is like new.

This is not for sale, simply looking to understand what other Vickers collectors would value it at.

Thanks,
Joe
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
This is a question for Bob Naess to answer but I suspect north of the run of the mill Vickers lock.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Nice find Joe. Looks good and all of a piece. I have a couple Colt Vickers lock parts that have a five pointed star stamped on them, which I have thought was for the Russian guns, but I don't know for sure.
It doesn't seem to me that Colt would have marked the locks with the Bolshevik symbol since the contract was cancelled due to the revolution.
Not knowing what the star means and not having come across any other Colt locks with the star on it, it is still a mystery.
As for value, that is up to you and any buyer. If someone wanted to put together a repro Russisan contract Vickers, that would be of interest, no doubt.
It is interesting to have odd MG parts for their own sake without having any idea of value. Some of my odd stuff include a black-powder era Enfield Maxim lock, #16 that I got from Dolf many years ago; a Mauser manufactured 7.92 Lewis style pan magazine; an 1889 Enfield Maxim brass fusee cover; a DWM 1909 Maxim lock with Farsi markings; some Russian contract marked Lewis parts, and other such stuff. I'll never have the guns to which any of these parts belong, or know how to value the parts, but I like them.......Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. Viewing them brings on a question I have had for some time. Is the original Colt 54R extractor gib identical to an 11mm Gras extractor gib?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No

No. The extractor body of the 11mm is about .06 wider than standard and the gib, while it will fit a standard slot, the seating area is almost .04 greater than that used for the 54R. You are much closer to begin with a standard .303 extractor and gib.
Joe

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Length of recess in face of the 11mm gib is about the same, but the ramp at the bottom of this relief is different than the .303.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
.....It is interesting to have odd MG parts for their own sake without having any idea of value. Some of my odd stuff include a black-powder era Enfield Maxim lock, #16 that I got from Dolf many years ago; a Mauser manufactured 7.92 Lewis style pan magazine; an 1889 Enfield Maxim brass fusee cover; a DWM 1909 Maxim lock with Farsi markings; some Russian contract marked Lewis parts, and other such stuff. I'll never have the guns to which any of these parts belong, or know how to value the parts, but I like them.......Thanks for posting the pics.
I enjoy that too. Took me 30 years to discover that the odd mg bolt I had was for a WW2 Italian BREDA .50 cal Aircraft MG. This is how I finally found out what it was.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=514983310

1 - 8 of 8 Posts