1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if a military machine gun tripod can be imported to the USA? I won’t say what it is as I do intend to sell it but I haven’t got a value as yet and I wouldn’t want anyone thinking I’m starting some sort of auction. It’s likely from the 1890s to 1900 time fame if age makes any difference to import regulations.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I would think so, John who lives in the Netherlands exports a bunch of them to forum members. I am sure he would tell you how he does. There technically may be a license required but many people ignore that, it is a tripod for surveying purposes right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yes. No issues. I have bought tripods from the England and Czech Republic. They just need to be really, REALLY well packed because they change hands so many times and go through export Customs in the shipping country and import Customs in the USA. Expect that it'll be opened for inspection at least once so if there are accessories (like an optic for an MG42 Lafette, or a lock on a Maxim sled mount) have it shipped independently of the tripod as it may get "lost" during one of those inspections if they actually open the crate/box.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps, I forgot that John exported tripods to the USA. If it sells to the USA then I’ll send in 2 packages due to weight and I doubt there’s much that can get damaged, it’s brass or bronze.

the reason I expect it to sell to the USA is that I’ve never seen the guns in the UK or even Europe With the exception of 3 here in museums. The USA appear to have quite a few in private collections hence my expectations it will go in that direction.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents, it’s now on eBay. I thought that would be fairest way to everyone as I have no idea of value (probably not much) but there could be a few interested individuals.

Are we allowed to post links here?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yes, post links. People do it all the time.

...especially considering that we don't yet know what tripod it is or what gun it's for!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn’t want to post any links until I knew if it was acceptable or not. I know some people are not happy to have links to eBay or similar sites.

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
Nice digger pod although the more common short leg any digger tripod is good to find these days.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice digger pod although the more common short leg any digger tripod is good to find these days.
ive got a feeling it could be a long leg perhaps converted to short leg at the head is angled slightly down at the front, if it was say another 1 to 2 foot higher, it would be level. The rear foot also only appears on the long leg version but it will likely remain one of those oddities.

if it sells I hope some one with the correct gun buys it and I can see it in use.

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
ive got a feeling it could be a long leg perhaps converted to short leg at the head is angled slightly down at the front, if it was say another 1 to 2 foot higher, it would be level. The rear foot also only appears on the long leg version but it will likely remain one of those oddities.

if it sells I hope some one with the correct gun buys it and I can see it in use.
Most of them were converted that is why it is so hard to find the long legs but at the end of the day I think there are far more Diggers than tripods for them so it will sell and hopefully find the right home. Whether or not they reverse it is irrelevant because it is part of the history of it so either way it wont matter as long as it is sold to someone with a digger and is going to actually use it.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Resurrecting this thread for contact info.
Does Tripod John still sell tripods?
If so what is his correct user name or better yet email address (IM OK)
THANKS!
larry

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
larry, yea, i stil have tripods, but right now been bizzy with new stuff that came on, so i,m not that often on the board, sometimes a quick peek

1 - 18 of 18 Posts