1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok got my mill back working (cross feed nut was striped out) so getting on with the vickers build. Thought I would share some progress. Any suggestions are more than welcome, this is the first vickers I have built. I started with RHSP from stenparts. This is a post sample build.
Machined in the groove for the top cover this morning and it came out nice. Next I plan on drilling out the rivet holes. I thought I would just line up the LHSP and use it for a guide? If anyone has a better idea speak up.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
No advice to offer, but looking forward to progress posts!

Are you a member at Weapons Guild? I'll bet there are tutorials there.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am haven't been there in a while will have to check it out.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Karl I had read that one but the link I had all the pictures where gone so it wasn't that great. This link they are there just semi blocked. :D(y)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Join calguns.net, solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I got side tracked, have a sick Aunt that needed some stuff from the store. So don't get as far as I wanted, imagine that!
So I thought I would start fitting parts and see how everything looks before I start drilling.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Overall everything looks pretty good. I found a couple issues I'll have to correct. First one is the RHSP will need a relief cut for the feed block cover in the very front.

The next issue is the rear pilot holes for the grip frame are off center. I think I'll find the right size mill bit and set it up and do a depth plunge.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mike, you know your the one that got me hooked seeing that colt of yours I just had to have one.
Greg

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
One big issue, just shortly down the road, is whether to take the water jacket apart to rivet the front trunnion. This can be opening a can of worms.

For semi, its a no brainer use button head screws that look just like rivets. Solder them in place and a dab of weld in the allen socket so you cannot tell its a rivet. Both Dennis at Midwest and KIWI do it this way on semis.

Now for FA, I've heard that many feel this is not robust enough. I know Dennis at Midwest will take the water jacket apart on FA weapons.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes Karl I've been debating which way to go. Not sure that I want to take the jacket off. But we'll see.
I am a member at calguns and I still get the PHOTO BUCKET across the pictures on that thread.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Dang, you're right about the horrendous water mark.

I saved it as a .pdf before this. send me your email and I will get it to you.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dunno. Looks like some issues. Put it in the crate and send it to me for a look.
Ha, ha Your missing that girl aren't you. Don't worry she's getting new clothes and is looking sexier every day :p

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I had three Lithgow Vickers and two transit cases. I figured I didn’t need three so sold two. It’s awfully lonely here, and the one you got was very attractive. And I can’t imagine what it would cost now to replace it. The MG42s are sexy, but the Vickers is all class.

Oh well. I’ve dropped the hint a few times. Looks like that one is not coming back.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had three Lithgow Vickers and two transit cases. I figured I didn’t need three so sold two. It’s awfully lonely here, and the one you got was very attractive. And I can’t imagine what it would cost now to replace it. The MG42s are sexy, but the Vickers is all class.

Oh well. I’ve dropped the hint a few times. Looks like that one is not coming back.
We'll its taken me longer than I thought to build her ( not everyone is Mike Duke ) life gets in the way. But she's coming along. Thanks for selling her to me. I think she's a keeper but if something does come up I will give you first shot.
Greg

1 - 20 of 157 Posts