1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK got a couple leads on vickers tripods. First question how much does it effect a tripod marked DP if it is in good usable condition ?
Next what can you tell me about this tripod in picture. It's rear foot is different from what I have seen and has a steel dial?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Having a D.P. tripod will affect the tripods value from a collectors point of view and indicates that one or more parts are considerably worn. I would subtract 25% off the value compared to a non D.P. tripod personally since you asked.

The tripod pictured is a Turkish tripod with AA extension. Most but not all have had the brass elevation body cut above the elevation adjusting wheel by the Turks and had a "mils" adjustment assembly added, I think that is the case with this one but can't tell for sure. I do not like those at all.

Some people like these tripods, others do not fancy them. From an operational standpoint they are a good tripod typically built on either a WWI British or US tripod (see markings on cradle, base looks Colt to me). I think they are worth less than a UK or Australian one but that is just my personal opinion, others may disagree on that point.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you @redroth that's a whole lot more than I know. It gives me a good idea. The pod in the picture has the legs marked DP and the other one I'm looking at the cradle is marked DP.
Greg

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The DP is not a deal breaker since my gun is a post sample it is not really a collector piece.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
When these were stored and later sold, the cradles and bases often got mixed up. It is possible that the base will be Colt and the cradle will be UK or vis versa. BTW the dish like platter (azimuth dial) are made of brass not steel and it does have the mils wheel on the elevation body. Still a good tripod to use if tight and you can use it in AA mode. Mike Duke has one and seems to really like it.

P.S. I am not expert on Vickers stuff, I leave the expert title to Dolf, Rollin, and others....

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Dude! My favorite Vickers tripod.
it sits a little higher than the Brit and Colt.
absolutely my preference for shooting.
you need to take off the big brass disk to hang the basket. Or alter the basket ( a negative). An AA extension fits in the rear leg. Make sure it’s all tight, a lot of them are beat up, DP may be a hint, but not the rule.
I like those.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The DP marking (as stated earlier) means that an item was worn or damaged beyond usable specification for the item.

In the case of Bob's tripod you're looking at, he states that the elevator gear is crisp and tight which means that someone either replaced or refurbed it.

I'd take a Turkish tripod over a Brit or Aussie tripod any day. Not only is it taller (easier to sit behind for us big guys), but it has the traverse lock lever at the REAR of the tripod so that the shooter can adjust it without having to do a 'reach around' ;) to loosen or tighten it like on a Brit or Aussie tripod. We're not in a squad so that task ordinarily handled by the assistant gunner, laying on his belly next to the Vickers, is now in your hands and much easier with that lock at the rear (closer to the gunner). The Turk tripod also has the AA stand but it's more of a showpiece than a usable function as it seems a little too rickety for my nerves...

If you don't buy that Turk, I'll buy it. Feel free to pass on the contact info if you go the other way.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks @redroth @Mr.Maim and @Mike Duke for all the info if I could I'd buy both. I'll make a decision in the next day or so after the sellers get me some more info. I'll let everyone know.
Thanks again to all, I'm learning something new almost everyday with this project.
Greg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just to add and pile on this conversation. I also have a Turkish tripod and love it. Now I have not spent much time behind a Brit or Aussie so I don’t really have a good comparison.
I don’t think you will go wrong either way.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Nice find. Please post more pictures.

There is information about the Turk tripod at VickersMG.com » Vickers Spares -- I need to update the site but don't have the time. You don't see many complete Turk tripod sets with the AA extensions, all of the pins, and chains.

It's unclear to me where it's marked DP but I assume the DP markings are on the socket or crosshead since the legs are Turk and the Turks didn't mark items DP. I concur with redroth that the socket (base) is Colt because the traverse lock is to the rear. The crosshead might be early Brit or Colt too and was definitely modified by the Turks.

Colt tripods were sent Lend-Lease to the Brits who then sent them to the Turks in about 1940. Some Colt pieces seemed to stay in the UK but the Brits did not seem to like the Colt's big rear spad. The finish on the legs doesn't appear to match the crosshead or the socket so I suspect this pod might have have had the legs recently switched. This is not unusual since some sockets and crossheads do not match. Does the pintle show gind marks?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone I ended up getting the Brit one from Bob. We came to a deal. I would of liked to get the turk but did not know the seller the price was reasonable at $1500 maybe to reasonable. Any way I know what I'm getting from Bob so I went with that.
If anyone want's the email for the turk let me know. I will say I asked for some kind of references yesterday and haven't heard back yet ?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok this is the tripod that I'm getting. looking at the feet this is Australian ?
JC tripods Brit-B.jpg

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The feet look Australian to me, don't know about the cradle but I can see there are markings so you should be able to identify.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The feet look Australian to me, don't know about the cradle but I can see there are markings so you should be able to identify.
Thats what I thought the feet are, my gun kit is Austrailian so that's a plus. I have heard that a lot of them are mixed up top and base US, British, Australian.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Ok this is the tripod that I'm getting. looking at the feet this is Australian ?
JC tripods Brit-B.jpg
It's hard to tell if it's Aussie from the picture. I can see what appears to be a "DP" stamp in the top of crosshead rail. But, a few things seem to suggest that the tripod at least saw service in Australia since British tripods were supplied to Australia and modified. The evidence is the black paint on the handles and the notches on the feet. I can't see the feet but Aussie manufactured tripods have spiked feet as in this image http://www.vickersmg.com/images/Aussie_Front_Foot.jpg. Australian manufactured tripods are also marked "RT" for Randwick Tramway and, if I recall correctly, MA with a date in the early 1940s. BTW, I've had about 10 tripods and found original as assembled, non-DP marked Australian tripods some of the best in the market. Is the socket head steel? Again, if I recall correctly, toward the end of WWII the Brits switched from bronze to steel socket heads. Ask about the bottom of the feet (pads). It almost looks to me, when I zoom in, that the foot is flat to the floor. It might be an optical illusion but I saw a DP marked set of tripod legs that had the spikes ground off. I have no idea who did this.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's hard to tell if it's Aussie from the picture. I can see what appears to be a "DP" stamp in the top of crosshead rail. But, a few things seem to suggest that the tripod at least saw service in Australia since British tripods were supplied to Australia and modified. The evidence is the black paint on the handles and the notches on the feet. I can't see the feet but Aussie manufactured tripods have spiked feet as in this image http://www.vickersmg.com/images/Aussie_Front_Foot.jpg. Australian manufactured tripods are also marked "RT" for Randwick Tramway and, if I recall correctly, MA with a date in the early 1940s. BTW, I've had about 10 tripods and found original as assembled, non-DP marked Australian tripods some of the best in the market. Is the socket head steel? Again, if I recall correctly, toward the end of WWII the Brits switched from bronze to steel socket heads. Ask about the bottom of the feet (pads). It almost looks to me, when I zoom in, that the foot is flat to the floor. It might be an optical illusion but I saw a DP marked set of tripod legs that had the spikes ground off. I have no idea who did this.
I'll post complete pictures once I get it here and can inspect it. Yes it is DP marked but has a extremely tight T&E with just slight play in cross pin. All the rest is tight and serviceable. The seller is a member here and very reputable, that is the main reason I went with this pod.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
If the pegs have been cut that will be a very simple fix.
What I'm going to say is an indication that I'm probably ready for assisted living. But, this sort of reminds me of a saying a boss of mine that was a Marine in the Bougainville campaign used to say, "you can't sh_t an old terd twice."

I've frequently found things that should be simple take much more effort than one expects. Here's a story. I once bought a DP marker fluted jack that leaked from a very shallow dent near the front of the water jacket. It was claimed to be repairable; surely the shallow dent could be easily popped out. I asked one of the true experts here for help. After a few months the answer came back, "find another jacket." My point is that assemblies are marked DP because they were unserviceable and unrepairable. IMA and others might try to tell you otherwise but, when they do this, I just think of my old boss saying of "sh_ting an old terd twice." ;-)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts