1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok pegs weren't cut off they are there. It does have DP marks all over it but it seems plenty serviceable ?? The front mounting pin does have a little play but is not real bad. Here are some pictures of some of the makings, any info would be great also suggestions on why it might have been taken out of Service. What I should check.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So it’s not an RT tripod, it looks to be a mix of parts. The blued bolt has 1916 on it so that’s nice and early. The head looks to be Enfield 1928 and so does the socket so I’d guess the majority of it is made from an Enfield 28 dated tripod and I would again guess that this was one of the British combinations sent to Aus before they began to produce their own Vickers. I like it and I certainly wouldn’t be put off by any DP marks.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the info. I think it has character and will leave it as is. It will make a good base for shooting my Vickers off of.
Greg

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Nice touch to have Brit Plumber chime in. Good info,too. I bought a Turk-Vickers tripod and was able to replace the large brass dial with an original Vickers one. Never did like the AA extension though.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK got out to test fire it today, ran like a champ no hiccups. I set the fusee spring at 8lbs and checked head space with conventional go-nogo gauges

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks glad you like it since I got the kit from you @Abominog just posted some video of it running on the build thread she runs like a top
Greg

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That really looks good @Mike Duke . My tan is a little lighter than your but I think it looks pretty good. And it really runs good. I finished the 54r feedblock but my barrel and lock are in AZ. I've only got 1 303 cloth belt ( and it isn't fun to load by hand ) and not much 303 ammo.
Greg

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Is the socket on the tripod bronze or steel? Nevermind, I see that it is bronze in one of the pics.

BTW, Brit Plumber makes an important point that the Brits sent assembled tripods to Australia before they began to produce their own.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Been off work a couple day's so I thought I would use the shipping crate to build a carry crate for the tripod.
I work with metal pretty well but I'm definitely not a finish carpenter. but it should work.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Nice work brother it is always a good day when another build comes to life and functions as it should.

Reactions: GBYENKO

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks Guy's
Now to get it running 7.62x54R, I'm working on conversion parts. Waiting on a finish reamer.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts