1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my paws on a Vickers and tripod for my 1917 Machine Gun Cart display. That was hard enough,but I want to make it into a semi. Chad and I made a trade and he had posted pic's earlier. Took a few more pic's and would like suggestions and comments. Also...anyone interested in helping with a semi build and/or parts and pieces...? LMK....800 380-4867...at the shop or [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks good Len! Thanks for getting me set up for reloading. Much appreciated kick to get my lazy butt started with that. Good luck with the project....I've heard these can be reactivated, but it's more work to get it done from this direction. I'm definitely a novice, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm misinformed.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I got an RSP and semi parts form KIWI on Calguns.net. Also an EXCELLENT build thread by him over there. I think he has offers on gun broker, also.

His stuff is a copy of what project guns used to sell. project guns has build info, too.

I've got a half dozen builds backed up. Can't decide when to do this vickers. Looks fairly easy with these parts.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hi Len,
If you want to build a semi-gun you may want to just leave this display gun alone and find an Australian Vickers kit instead (pretty common in the $1,800 - $2,200 range). This IMA display gun is built off of WWII produced ("V" serial number) vintage British gun with a mixture of British and Australian parts. Many (most?) of the parts appear to have D.P. (Drill and Parade) prominently stamp on them by unit armorers.

While those parts will probably function fine in a semi gun, it will not make for a very "pretty" semi build. Hard to tell based on pictures whether trunnion in water jacket will be useable after barrel is removed as they were welded in typically and damage from the welding varies. Also looks like welds on inside of left side plate.

All parts are available for rebuilding these guns, with the fluted water jackets being the hardest and most expensive part to find in excellent condition.

Let me know if you need any part(s) in particular. BRP, Sarco, and IMA USA also have many parts for these guns available.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Kiwi just finished building my SA Vickers.....he knows his stuff! He said he's going to post up some photos of the 6 Vickers he built this time around.....

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
He just finished my Turkish. I dropped it with Randall to have it blued. Can't wait to see her all done
Please pm me contact info for having the Vickers built. Been sitting on a kit w semi parts and plate for years.. Want it blued also.

Troy

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...OK...

Thanks to all for info and contacts. Hope to make the determination before the end of the year. I would have preferred a fluted water jacket....similar to the WW1 Vickers...but a Vickers is a Vickers at this point.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just got my Vick and tripod back from Kiwi. Couldn't have asked for a better job. If you want to know what mine looks like go to his page. Its the one with the jacket cover and on the pod. Going to have him do a Bren for me next time he has a run.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just got my Vick and tripod back from Kiwi. Couldn't have asked for a better job. If you want to know what mine looks like go to his page. Its the one with the jacket cover and on the pod. Going to have him do a Bren for me next time he has a run.
David1, I saw your set up in person.....what a beauty!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts