1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Okay, got a question about vickers tripods, I have 2 and they are different, can anyone identify what ones I have? View attachment 15787
The green one on the left appears to be a WWII era Australian tripod, the one on the right is a Turkish tripod converted from a US Colt Vickers tripod I think. Need to look at the cradle shaft and rear leg to really tell for sure as they often mixed cradle and bases. The base body is Colt Vickers though.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I would say the the Turkish tripod on the right has a US Colt Vickers base/legs (traverse lock at back of body and rear leg is Colt) and a WWI/1920's vintage British cradle. Azimuth ring would have been Turkish style. Not uncommon as the parts could have gotten mixed up when IMA had them. I swear I have seen this Tripod before. Numbered ring above elevation wheel is very unusual, never seen one like that before.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
The green one on the left appears to be a WWII era Australian tripod, the one on the right is a Turkish tripod converted from either a WWI or pre-WWII British or US Colt Vickers tripod I think. Need to look at the cradle shaft, rear leg to really tell.
I just saw the added pics and concur but still need better pictures to be certain. The left-front tripod legs are Aussie because of the spikes, black painted jamming nut handles, and notched feet. This seems to match the crosshead.

The modification to the crosshead on the right-rear pod screams Turk. It's missing the large Turk azimuth ring. The socket (leg-head) seems to be a Colt because the locking nut is located to the rear. The legs are definitely US Vickers but the Turk modified crosshead might be an early British Vickers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts