1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks guys for the help yesterday on getting my loader running. I got it running pretty good now after a few recommended adjustments.

Here's a short video clip of it running. I can see that I'm gonna need a helper to load belts really fast. It's kinda tough to keep the hopper filled to keep up with the loader. Slowing the crank speed down makes the operation a little jerky and seems to contribute to infrequent misses in the functioning. Any tuning advice to help smooth it up is welcome. Thanks again for the help!

Colt 1928 Belt Loader Video--3MB

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Len had asked me to take a few pics of the Colt 1928 loader internals so he could compare them to a 1918 loader. I figured I'd post the pics for those that are interested.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Which one is the most rare, and how do they compare in cost and efficiency, and which one is in more demand these days? These things are cool.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
M1918 vs. 1928 Colt/Argentine loader

gunranger said:
Which one is the most rare, and how do they compare in cost and efficiency, and which one is in more demand these days? These things are cool.
OK....here we go....This is only my opinion. The 1928 is a newer machine..13 Jan 1920... date of patent. Has the same internals as the 1918 but fewer over-all parts. For some reason....any guess's?.... the US military wanted the M1918 produced during WW2. I had never seen a 1928 loader until Strat put up his pics. Lo and behold....one of the ones I'm restoring is a 1928,stripped of the name plate and several parts like the arm and feed wheels. I tried to interchange parts and EVERYTHING from the 1918 fit the 1928...except the feed way....locator pins didn't match up. Even a 1918 top cover/magazine fit perfectly. Now....my guess is that someone in procurement,a bureacrat,not a real soldier, wanted a low bid mfg. for the belt loader in 1942. These were already in the inventory,troops had been trained,all the tech manuals had the M1918 in it...etc.,etc...and the 1928 was a CIVILIAN machine. Guess which one got the nod for military production....yeah,not rocket science is it. Again,this is my opinion....OK guys.... shoot my theories down.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
L999here said:
....OK guys.... shoot my theories down.....
sounds right to me. i have owned, and still own several of the 1918's, one of them came in a brown colt box w/ paper instructions glued on the inside of the lid, but i've never seen a colt w/ a hopper like that and a nameplate.

that hopper+nameplate i'd say is about as rare as a hen tooth, but i couldn't say if it's any more or less in demand than the 'regular' 1918's. last i checked a belt loader goes for about $1K, and i've seen nice colt loaders go for as much as $2K. but it's been a year since i've been in the market.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
colt made COMMERCIAL firearms

they sold lots to mining companys, and the 28 guns went to argentina

lots of things about the colt 1928 is different from the 1917a1 browning, so why should the belt loader be the same too??

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pfarber said:
What players play avi?
If you're using Windows, the Windows Media Player will work.

If you're not getting a video, but you're getting sound, then you probably need to install the DIVX codec. Here's the link.

DIVX Note: If you have another player already, all you need to choose during the DIVX install is just the "divx codec". If you don't have another player, then install the DIVX player as well.

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/download/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts