1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very nice.
how rough is it on new production brass?
So far so good. I make sure to lubricate the rounds with a case lube prior to firing and as of now I don't see much damage or stretching of the fired case. I am hoping to get quite a few reloads through the brass as it is expensive.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
...from 30/06 is cheaper...!!!

Just a note here for those who did not know. 7.7 Jap,rimless, can be easily made from 30/06 cases. There is no need to pay serious bucks for a commercial round or 7.7 Jap brass. I've loaded several dozen 7.7 Jap for collectors...just need .311 bullets and a 7.7 die set. These are the same dia. as .303 Brit and 7.62x54R projectiles. Of course,there are 3-different types of 7.7 Jap...rimmed,semi-rimmed and rimless rds. Not sure which type the 92 MG uses...but believe it's the rimless...just like the issue rifle. If you are going to shoot these rare type of guns...you almost have to reload...or be independently wealthy...!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
T92 is spec'd for use with the semi-rim 7.7 and will fire rimless also. For you shooters of T99s and T99 rifles, the semi-rim ammo on strippers is quite good ammo, though fiercely corrosive. It is useable for 7.7 Jap rimless firearms by turning down the semi-rim to rimless specs. I do this for use in T99 LMGs that need testing after reactivations or repairs as well as for my own guns.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just a note here for those who did not know. 7.7 Jap,rimless, can be easily made from 30/06 cases. There is no need to pay serious bucks for a commercial round or 7.7 Jap brass. I've loaded several dozen 7.7 Jap for collectors...just need .311 bullets and a 7.7 die set. These are the same dia. as .303 Brit and 7.62x54R projectiles. Of course,there are 3-different types of 7.7 Jap...rimmed,semi-rimmed and rimless rds. Not sure which type the 92 MG uses...but believe it's the rimless...just like the issue rifle. If you are going to shoot these rare type of guns...you almost have to reload...or be independently wealthy...!!
Pretty sure you have to be independently wealthy to have a FA MG like that to begin with!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Here's a pic of the AA extension used with the T92 mounted on the standard T92 tripod. The extension is not especially user friendly and it is not stable in the fore and aft direction. Using it would require an odd posture, although the Japanese are of smaller stature physically so it might not be as awkward to use for them. T92 on AA.JPG

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thank you for posting this excellent video. I have been contemplating one of these. I bought a Type 99 several years ago and it is a terrific gun. Very reliable, accurate, ergonomic.

The Type 92 is just a neat gun. I think I want one.....

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
>I could only imagine the fantastic things that could go wrong in sandy/volcanic ash covered environments with the oiler system.<

In reality the oiler system on the T92s is extremely efficient and oil does not touch the rounds until they are moving into the chamber. The oil is applied by a small rectangular block of short bristle brushes that leave a very light touch of oil on each case as it is in the path of the bolt before chambering. The oiler on this gun is not really needed as the gun functions fine with dry cartridges in my experience shooting vintage Japanes semi-rimmmed ammo.
The real source of problems is that the primers on vintage Japanese 7.7 ammo are fiercely corrosive and any moisture from the atmosphere or other sources on parts exposed to the combustion gases start to rust immediately. Blowback into the firing pin hole of combustion gases can corrode the firing pin and stop the action if the gun sits idle for a couiple of hours without the firing pin and hole being cleaned. The guns bolt lock also withdraws the firing pin to keep it from protruding through the boltface until the bolt is fully locked. If the firing pin gets stuck in the bolt the gun stops because the lock will not drop and cam the firing pin back. This is a very clever design but a stuck firing pin for any reason can put the gun out of action.
FWIW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts