1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Wow!!:eek:
Wish I lived closer to a historic battlefield to find stuff like this. Best I ever did was find a six pack of cone top beer cans. :D
Thanks for sharing the link, some interesting stuff out there for sure.
CaptMax

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with CaptMax, I wish I would be out there digging in a field for WW2 artifacts. I find those types of videos fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
...closer...?

...LOL. I'm glad I did not live in Russia...or even close to Europe ...anytime. Those Ruskies sure made a great historical find....hope they were with a gov't expedition or a university team. Otherwise,they might be into some difficulty with their gov't. Notice the Sokolav mounts were quite usable...even the wheels turned right out of the dirt they had been buried in for over 70 yrs. And I was very supprised that the fluted water jacket on the Maxim was whole. If anything...I'd like to be able to dig around at the Kursk area in Russia where the largest tank battle was fought in 1943-44. Don't think I'd find a Panther or Tiger though...LOL.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe their "archeological" methods were a bit on the brutal side for any official type excavation. :)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow!!:eek:
Wish I lived closer to a historic battlefield to find stuff like this. Best I ever did was find a six pack of cone top beer cans. :D
Thanks for sharing the link, some interesting stuff out there for sure.
CaptMax
Glad you guys liked it. Funny thing I live on one Civil War battlefield and only a short distance from another, never have been interested in digging artifacts in this area just isn't my time period although it is a very popular pastime here.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I guess the trade-off is "finding" a "RARE" UXO :rofl:

theres a website of guys that photo a bunch of stuff like this in germany. bunkers all under water now full of the remaining equipment, strange things all over .

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I guess the trade-off is "finding" a "RARE" UXO :rofl:

/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was watching them use a grenade like a rock to loosen some of those 7.62x25 bullets....and later in the video they are playing with some more UXO....scared the $hit out of me. In all probability, most all of that ordnance is long decayed by now.....but I wouldnt be the one to test it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
when it comes to explosives, decay/time are not your friends.

theres so many areas/islands that are off limits due to UXO's it's crazy.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In 2007 I visited with friends Vossenack, Germany, while there we toured the Hurtgen Forrest area. In Vossenack was a small but very interesting museum with one of the displays being firearms dug from the area, what was surprising were the number and variety of Soviet arms recovered in the area. The use of Soviet arms by German troops in the western theater is something you do not read about often nor is it shown in period photos to any large degree.

http://www.museum-huertgenwald.de/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts