1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'M looking to find out if anyone out there knows of some one who can build an EXACT REPRODUCTION of a Colt/Marlin Digger ammo box,, If you do please summit the info,, there are a few of us on hear looking for some,, Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'M looking to find out if anyone out there knows of some one who can build an EXACT REPRODUCTION of a Colt/Marlin Digger ammo box,, If you do please summit the info,, there are a few of us on hear looking for some,, Thanks

What Randy said:)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
!!!quote!!!

No i don't have a original i wish i did,, If i can find someone to do a high quality Repo id be in for 10 boxes to make it worth the builders wild,, I would keep on hand for others that are going threw the same ordeal,,

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
!!!! pictures !!!!

Even if some one would take some High Resolution Pictures along with all the dimensions,, Inside and out would be a big step in the right direction,,, I know Amishbob sold one a few months back,, That would be helpful to alot of us if they would reply.. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dimentions

Found this on line

The ammunition box is designed to hold one loaded cartridge belt (250 cartridges) and is made of ash or other suitable material. It is 13 inches long, 8 inches deep and 4 1/8 inches wide in its exterior dimensions. The ends, sides and bottom are nailed together. The top is attached to the sides by means of a tongue and groove slide. Later boxes were provided with a cotton web handle attached to the end of the box. One end of the box is sloped to facilitate the egress of the ammunition belt. About one-half inch back from the vertical edge of the sloping end are cut two narrow grooves which fit over correspondingly spaced flanged ribs on the saddle mount, supporting the box and belt in position for firing on the left side of the mount. The interior of the box is given a coat of linseed oil and its exterior is painted.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shot!!

You need to talk to Bob Naess,, he needs a few shot ones for the carriage i sold him,, for the transit box ,, have you built them before?? I have a company near me that dose High quality wood reproductions ,, I was going to have them do some for me once i have all the math and pics or ammo box to reproduce ,,Sent P,M. to a gentleman on hear willing to help,, thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Digger box,,

A loaner box has been loaned to me to build some digger boxes,, ill keep all posted on the progress and add some photos of the building of them,, it will be a little before i get started,, thanks to you all for the info,,

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Johnson LMG writes: "…..the short ones don't fit a marlin tripod, just FYI. Don't know if early colt tripods were different or they were just for the carriage?"<

A bit more detail is needed here. Yes, Colt boxes will fit a Marlin tripod cradle bracket but the lip edge of the box at the feed end sits too high for the Marlin feedway.The Marlin feedway is located at an angle on both the lower edge and bottom of the left side of the receiver so it is quite low. Marlin boxes have a much shorter wooden mounting extension with the slots on the sides than the early Colt, so the Colt boxes sit too high for the feed. Colt diggers have the feed way opening higher on the left receiver plate, thus the wooden box mount extension is higher in vertical length than the Marlin.
The difference in the location of the feedway openings between the Colt and the Marlin guns requires that the lip above the mount bracket on the cradle of each tripod is different. So even though the Colt box will fit the Marlin cradle bracket, it sits too high for feed into the Marlin.
The Marlin cross bolt hole will not align with the Colt cross pin holes on a Colt cradle.
The difference between the Colt and Marlin boxes must be addressed when making repros.
I have two original low boxes for the Colt 1895 digger landing carriage.
Standard late ammo boxes are not oak….
FWIW

·
Registered
43 Posts
A loaner box has been loaned to me to build some digger boxes,, ill keep all posted on the progress and add some photos of the building of them,, it will be a little before i get started,, thanks to you all for the info,,
Randy Put me down for a Marlin style box...
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Digger box,,

Thanks Bob ill make sure to mention that they are for Marlins,, it is a Marlin box that im in loan of. Thanks,,, again Bob ,,

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have what I think is the Colt version. It has sliding wood top and doesn't have place for handle. I can email some pictures.
outside measurements are
7 1/16" tall
13" long on top
11 3/4" long on bottom
4 3/16" wide

1 - 20 of 30 Posts