1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It could be this way today if the fookin ATF did not freeze the transferable pool in 86, and ban the importation of everything that doesn't have a "sporting purpose".

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I like the "extreamly rare" ppsh41 !!! 10's of millions of then were produced.
I traded mine for: M2 +M3 tripods both T&Es, 3 M2hb barrels, 3 -.50 cleaning kits,3 m2hb flash supressors,belt filling machine, and some Viet Nam era radio gear, PRC25/77,Vic1 stuff(partial list).

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Atf did what congress told them to do. And I'll stop there so I don't start that old fight. You need to find out what really happened. It has been said that "those that forget history are domed to repeat it."

http://1919a4.com/NonCGI/Forum6/HTML/005457.html

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ahhh! Those were the good old days! LOL!!:rolleyes:

I did notice that the French Chauchat was priced at about what it's still worth! :D Hmmm, I wonder what a Sten Mk V-S is worth on todays market?
:D
Yer'Migo!
"Big Ed"

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sure the prices were cheap by todays standards, but dont forget the $200 tax stamp, which was really expensive back then. $50 in 1960 is about $315 today. The $200 in 1960 would be $1267.35 now. If the 1986 FA ban wasnt enacted, and it wasnt the forbidden fruit it is today, would most people buy a gun, then pay 4X the price for a tax stamp for the gun?

calculations done with http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UncleDad said:
Sure the prices were cheap by todays standards, but dont forget the $200 tax stamp, which was really expensive back then. $50 in 1960 is about $315 today. The $200 in 1960 would be $1267.35 now. If the 1986 FA ban wasnt enacted, and it wasnt the forbidden fruit it is today, would most people buy a gun, then pay 4X the price for a tax stamp for the gun?

calculations done with http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

If the 68 GCA and 86 ban was not in-force today, you could buy a complete Israeli Browning 1919A4 full-auto for maybe $500 plus the $200 transfer tax. $700 is certainly much better than $20,000 - $35,000 for an original 1919. Just imagine no importation bans and transferable surplus machineguns from all over the world flooding into the US. What that would do to the prices of those guns? I imagine they would be pretty cheap by todays standards. All the parts kits that you see being sold for 1919's, AK's, FAL's , Scorpions etc would actually be cheaper if you could just buy the gun prior to when it had it's receiver destroyed.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Hindsight...

Hindsight is always 20/20... Personally I got tired of looking at those damned ads from long ago they really get you in the gut.

Your one sick puppy 57strat... Hey maybe somebodys got some of the ads from the 80's will all the cheap parts kits to rub it in deeper... And my buddy thinks Im nuts for buying all my parts kits like I tell him I'm not gonna be the guy that said coulda woulda shoulda nuff said....:D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It's kinda sad that allot of guys who own C3 weapons would actually be against us if there was a chance to eliminate the ban.
For some it's become a game of who's got the most money and the most exotic and to have that upper echelon dissolved would devastate them.

......At least that's what I've gathered from my interactions over the years.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
OK, ya stirred the troops up. But ya didn't let
'em in on a little secret, did'ja? Like all the guns here were deactivated.:eek:

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
57Strat said:
Just imagine no importation bans and transferable surplus machineguns from all over the world flooding into the US. What that would do to the prices of those guns?
God forbid. They would be worth more as scrap at todays current prices.
Crack heads are willing to PAY US at the garage for scrap! That's a switch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ouchman,
In ref. to the "extremely rare" part, in the '60s they probably were. The cold war was still going on and they were still being used. Just a guess.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Matthew1919 said:
Ouchman,
In ref. to the "extremely rare" part, in the '60s they probably were. The cold war was still going on and they were still being used. Just a guess.

I remember as a youth in the 70's trying to find AK parts and ammo. It was impossible. The iron curtain had not fallen and the only way commie **** had made it's way to the USA was in a soldier's duffel bag. In the 70's, I used to make my own 7.62x39mm ammo out of 220 Swift cases so I could shoot my commie guns. People just don't realize that commie guns and ammo prior to the 80's was like getting **** from another planet.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Some of us were actually able to get in on some of these deals. like $20.00 Sten Guns and $29.95 Lewis Guns. A friend of mine bought an absolutely mint M-1 Thompson for $99.95 (1966). That gun and one of the Lewis guns mentioned above are now rewats. You have to remember that $100.00 in those days represented about a week and a half of work for a young person earning $1.50 an hour. I recall that at gunshows people passed up dewat machinguns because "what the heck you can't even shoot them". I recall a $25.00 MG08/15 and a $20.00 Lanchester and how about a $100.00 MG42. I couldn't afford any of them.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
hard to get is not "rare" in my book. I have already see war booty from Sadam's Southern Palace which included a gold plated AK commerative receiver. Even that is not rare because there were about 10K of them there alone. To have one here now only makes it unique contraband( now).

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Paid $35 for a Sten Mk II parts set in '85, (loop and "T" stocks) $20 for a tube, $15 for brazing the major parts, $10 for silver soldering the ejector, $5 for stamping the info, $12 for Dremel tool with bits -- less than $100, plus stamp -- did a second rate job, never parked, runs like a champ, about 550 rpm @ 6cents a round, reloads.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Man, a complete 1917 with pod for $150, waaaaaah!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts