1919 A4 Forums banner

Want to do an MG42 SA will my kit work?

8K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  wangchung 
#1 ·
I was paid in parts kits a long time ago. I got 2 MG42 kits for doing some work when the guy was strapped for cash. I know nothing about them other than what you see. they are missing the rear receiver sections and one is missing a bolt. I would like to have an SA 42 for my collection but I'm not sure if these kits are too far gone to build one. They are mostly 43 and 44 marked but do have some M53 parts with them. I know that these kits are difficult to build and I can find semi auto parts for the build, if what I have is worth it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There also both missing part of the front end the treaded part that the booster threads onto.
Looks like your missing (1) bolt like you said and (1) grip/ trigger housing .
Both of those don't matter if your planning on building a S/A
Either way you kind of need the back half's and missing front ends pieces.
To me you need to just look for new recievers .

#4 ·
Are you handy with a welder? planning on trying to build them yourself?
Or are you planning on sending them out to have someone build for you?
Alignment of the the parts is kind of critical.
Your going to need some tooling as in a welding jig , rivets, front section ,rear section and semi parts.
you kind of have to decide if you just want a functioning m53/M42 or if you want a collectable M53/M42
Not sure what you have in them so far money wise.
I know you said it was a trade with a cash strapped friend.

I'm kind of surprised one of the MG-42 guys here hasn't chimed in yet.
Others have a better idea of the value of your parts. I don't really have a clue.
The 2 best things you have in the pile of parts to me are the barrels if there not shot out.

#5 ·
I have nothing in the kits, other than time at the guys shop in the evenings. the 8mm barrels are not shot out, dark, but definitely usable. I don't mind buying the semi parts needed to put one together but I am no machinist and several experienced builders have told me if I haven't done a build before, don't do a 42' first. That said, I am a collector not a builder. I have had them for over 10 years, I can put them right back in the trunk with the other stuff until something changes. I just wondered about them since I recently started to get my 1919 together if I should have one of these done or not.

#7 ·
Thay are a PITA to biuld but if you know what you are doing they are not too bad. Brian at BRP make a plug and play semi auto bolt and trigger pack so I would start with those unless you are a machinist. The fixturing and welding is the tough part on these because it is critical they stay straight. I am not sure if Jared at Lewman arms is building these currently but I would take Rory's advice and buy a semi then just flip these two kits to cover the cost because all the parts are going up daily on this stuff.

#8 ·
From looking at the remains of the receivers, both where original MG42 probably captured in Yugoslavia and rebuilt after WWII. Original MG42s are a bit more than the standard Yugo M53 price wise and sot after more by builders. They are a difficult build as Russ has pointed out. I had purchased one in 7.62mm NATO that was originally a converted MG42 to a post-war MG2. The receiver was not straight so it had to be recut and welded straight. The internal parts were an early design which did not work as well as I would like. I converted the internals and grip stick to the 2nd BRP pattern which makes the gun run like a clock. Parts are bit tough to get a hold of but they are out there. Personally I would have both built into guns and keep one and sell the other gun to recover some of your cost. You will need the money for all of the accessories that goes with the gun!! Tripod, AAA mount, belts, tools and of course ammo. LOL!! It's the disease!! They do turn heads at the range when you take them there to shoot.

#9 ·
As noted, you're missing the critical rear of the receivers. A replacement is going to cost over $1000 for a WW2, though you can use the BRP or other aftermarket shells; the latter require substantial welding and machining skills. You're also missing the front ends, so add another $100+ each to find an aftermarket piece (assuming there's enough left to even graft it on.)

For the most part, these kits you have are worth the accumulation of parts, not as a complete or almost complete kit. Value if cleaned up (rust removed) roughly $1200 each, more if you part them out.

The stock on the left looks like WW2 German and is nice. The one on the right is Yugo.

A decent, complete WW2 German kit is going to cost $3000 plus. Add $3000 for Lewman Arms to restore to semi, and $800 for BRP semi parts, $100 shipping and you're into one for about $6100. If you can get $2400 for the two "kits" that's still a chunk of change. You can get a Yugo semi for about $6000, so for roughly the same price a German kit can be sourced and restored, and the German is more desirable. It's still a huge amount of money.

In any event, what you have needs a ton more money thrown at it to make it restored, and/ or restore to a semi. They aren't really worth it, you'd be better off dumping and re-investing.

#10 ·
Well back on the shelf these two will go until I find someone who really wants them or I part them out or something.
Shame. Was really hopeful I had a good start for a build. Seems to be an expensive area to get into when your middle class with a house and car payment haha.

#24 ·
well I'm not going anywhere.

I spoke to Brian at BRP and he gave me two ways to look at it. Shelve them, because the MG owners will need spare parts in the coming years and I'll have a good chunk of what they need and they'll be worth quite a bit. The other way he looked at it was I could actually repair what I have and they'll have some more value to them even if I don't build them. he told me start with the front and work to the rear. He said start with the bushing and repair the shroud and work back to the Trunnion. He said even if I don't do a build a repaired shroud would be better than what it is now. But I'll keep digging. So far I'll just stow them away.

#20 ·
Its not just the missing rear chunk. Your front section is trash too. With a demil like that, you have to cut off whats left and reweld on an entire new nose bearing. If you REALLY want to pursue this, Id look for an original, clean 3 cut receiver with intact nose. Trying to make a firing gun from that one receiver scrap is going to take a new rear section (and buttstock cams) , grafted to the current mid section and a nose job that may require a lathe to facilitate installation. I hate to be a Debby Downer, but this would be a huge undertaking. Anything can be rebuilt with enough time and money, but this one would stretch even the richest mans patience. On the other hand, you could make a small fortune selling those parts and have enough to partially pay for a pre fabricated SA MG42.

#23 ·
You're not being a downer (sort of haha), I'm an average blue collar guy who can't afford just drop a bunch of money on a project like this. I got tied up into a G43 rifle restoration and then I started my 1919 a few weeks ago but fortunately the G43 was an easy fix and the 1919 has been relatively cheap to start. Nothing like prices for SA stuff for these kits. man they are expensive. Well sometimes you can want something for your collection but it's just going to be a bit too far outta reach. :cautious:

#22 ·
Here is a quick list of parts I would start watching for if those kits were mine: and where I would look. Quick list after looking at your pics...I'm sure I missed some other small parts.

1. front and rear receiver pieces: BRP. Try to buy the front section that already has the barrel bearing installed.
2. semi auto bolt and spring: BRP
3. semi auto grip stick: BRP
4. recuperator internals/springs: BRP, Robertrtg, APEX gun parts, Gun Parts & Firearm Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
5. buffer lock lugs and buffer latch parts: BRP, Robertrtg, APEX gun parts, Gun Parts & Firearm Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
6. NEW rails: BRP, Robertrtg, APEX gun parts

BRP was great about contacting me when they made a new run of a specific part I was in the hunt for; give em a call and get your name on the waiting list for their semi auto and receiver parts.

Good luck and try to enjoy the hunt for parts.

#25 ·
Well the first thing to do is clean off that rust and get the parts oiled.

You can sell now, or later. WW2 parts are dried up and getting expensive. Top covers, bipods, grips, and flash hiders have doubled in two years.

You can build it yourself, with patience. And if you're willing to learn, and wait for the right parts, and have a friend help for a few bucks it will be a lot less expensive.

As you know, you're missing the front nose and whole rear of the receiver. So to build there are two roads to take: (1) original german or (2) just build to shoot. #1 will be worth a lot more money for the same amount of work, but it will take longer and be more expensive.

The chance of finding just the front nose for WW2 is close to zero, but not zero. If you wait long enough you'll find a complete front end, albeit with the nose (bearing) torched. The WW2 rear parts do come up; they run $600 - $1000 (or more!) right now. If you're serious about it you'll want to match the rear (mfg & date) with the front. The big thing here is patience- you can buy what you need on GB but it's going to hurt, or you can watch GB and talk to people and find what you need at a far less expense.

If you don't care that it's all WW2, use a whole MG3 nose (sight ears, etc.) now going for about $250. Then you either find a M53 rear (low probability, $600) or aftermarket shells ($300 plus maybe $150 in other parts) and have a machinist/ welder help you stick to the blueprints.

After the receiver is "done" you need a semi grip and bolt. You can get these from BRP (~$750 IIRC) or modify the one you have with a mill and add AR15 FCG.

No matter what, when you have the receiver all welded, I'll tell you the same thing I tell every excited owner: "Congratulations! You're 1/3 done!". These things need work, tweaking, testing, fitting, filing, etc. It's dozens and dozens of hours...and frustration. Building an MG42-type is not like an AR15, FAL, or even 1919a4.

#28 ·
I actually have everything your seeking
I keep debating between building it or selling it.
I have 2 BRP Series 2 S/A bolts and Complete Grip Frames.
I bought the 80 % receiver off of Weapons guild probably 10-15 years ago now.
It is full length 1 piece receiver has a flat plate welded in inside the body of the receiver were the rails go.
The ejection slot is about the only thing that needs to be milled out and the S/A denial block needs to be welded in if you want to make a S/A. before you remove the flat bar tacked in were the rails would go. If you are an 07 you can build as a post sample I guess.
I've tried a few times to find out what it's worth but nobody here has been able to give me a clue . Perhaps because there weren't very many made? I'm not sure who made it its was either BRP back when they were selling complete guns or Weislite ?
I have all the other bits and pieces to build in 8mm or 308.

Here is a picture of receiver.
Water Wood Rolling Tints and shades Automotive exterior

#30 ·
I actually have everything your seeking
I keep debating between building it or selling it.
I have 2 BRP Series 2 S/A bolts and Complete Grip Frames.
I bought the 80 % receiver off of Weapons guild probably 10-15 years ago now.
It is full length 1 piece receiver has a flat plate welded in inside the body of the receiver were the rails go.
The ejection slot is about the only thing that needs to be milled out and the S/A denial block needs to be welded in if you want to make a S/A. before you remove the flat bar tacked in were the rails would go. If you are an 07 you can build as a post sample I guess.
I've tried a few times to find out what it's worth but nobody here has been able to give me a clue . Perhaps because there weren't very many made? I'm not sure who made it its was either BRP back when they were selling complete guns or Weislite ?
I have all the other bits and pieces to build in 8mm or 308.

Here is a picture of receiver. View attachment 105259
The receiver pictured was made by Brian Polling and is a two piece receiver with the seam under the trunnion. I built half a dozen post May samples using these and they are accurate and were a pleasure to build. Unfortunately, a FA build was super easy since the receiver itself needed little work, such as ejection port and grip frame cutouts and the plate inside the rear of the receiver removed, etc. The best part was that the annoying work was done: the barrel stop was installed as were the buffer lockup, recuperator anchor and latch pivot, muzzle bushing sleeve, etc. ATF shut BP's production down. That was only a matter of time given how easy it was to build an FA example. Later, 80%, 2 piece receiver design submissions to ATF were turned down. Four piece receiver designs were approved.
Still have a few of these BPS and consider them to be worth $3-4k or more.
I'm done doing MG42 semi builds from kits or repairs of attempts by others having done many dozens of them since the early 1990s.
Beware aftermarket receiver sections. Except for BP's, they are out of spec. Muzzle bushing sleeves are excellent.
if you must build one find an early demil with all receiver parts from the same gun. It will be expensive but absolutely worth it.
Better to save up your money and by one and make sure you go and test it with the seller. The semi internals are fragile. I've repaired many with varieties of damage. They can require a lot of TLC. FWIW

#32 ·
Brian at BRP talked to me a great length and told me start with the front and work my way to the back. He said if I cant find a rear section he knows how far to get a rear section along without it being a manufacturing concern. He said my brother will have to help as a machinist to get the indexing right on the rail position. I am probably a moron for this but I'm going to give it the ol college try.

#38 ·
Bumping this thread a bit. I am planning on starting a new thread on my build. A good friend of mine is going to do a couple of critical welds for me since I am not that great of a welder. Since that's what he does everyday he said just send him the shroud and receiver and he'll get it right. In the meantime he said he'll send it back before christmas and then probably a new thread on how to finish the bugger!