1919 A4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Here is a quick list of parts I would start watching for if those kits were mine: and where I would look. Quick list after looking at your pics...I'm sure I missed some other small parts.

1. front and rear receiver pieces: BRP. Try to buy the front section that already has the barrel bearing installed.
2. semi auto bolt and spring: BRP
3. semi auto grip stick: BRP
4. recuperator internals/springs: BRP, Robertrtg, APEX gun parts, Gun Parts & Firearm Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
5. buffer lock lugs and buffer latch parts: BRP, Robertrtg, APEX gun parts, Gun Parts & Firearm Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
6. NEW rails: BRP, Robertrtg, APEX gun parts

BRP was great about contacting me when they made a new run of a specific part I was in the hunt for; give em a call and get your name on the waiting list for their semi auto and receiver parts.

Good luck and try to enjoy the hunt for parts.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Its not just the missing rear chunk. Your front section is trash too. With a demil like that, you have to cut off whats left and reweld on an entire new nose bearing. If you REALLY want to pursue this, Id look for an original, clean 3 cut receiver with intact nose. Trying to make a firing gun from that one receiver scrap is going to take a new rear section (and buttstock cams) , grafted to the current mid section and a nose job that may require a lathe to facilitate installation. I hate to be a Debby Downer, but this would be a huge undertaking. Anything can be rebuilt with enough time and money, but this one would stretch even the richest mans patience. On the other hand, you could make a small fortune selling those parts and have enough to partially pay for a pre fabricated SA MG42.
You're not being a downer (sort of haha), I'm an average blue collar guy who can't afford just drop a bunch of money on a project like this. I got tied up into a G43 rifle restoration and then I started my 1919 a few weeks ago but fortunately the G43 was an easy fix and the 1919 has been relatively cheap to start. Nothing like prices for SA stuff for these kits. man they are expensive. Well sometimes you can want something for your collection but it's just going to be a bit too far outta reach. :cautious:

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I might be able to help with the missing chunks if you can give me a few weeks.
well I'm not going anywhere.

I spoke to Brian at BRP and he gave me two ways to look at it. Shelve them, because the MG owners will need spare parts in the coming years and I'll have a good chunk of what they need and they'll be worth quite a bit. The other way he looked at it was I could actually repair what I have and they'll have some more value to them even if I don't build them. he told me start with the front and work to the rear. He said start with the bushing and repair the shroud and work back to the Trunnion. He said even if I don't do a build a repaired shroud would be better than what it is now. But I'll keep digging. So far I'll just stow them away.

Well the first thing to do is clean off that rust and get the parts oiled.

You can sell now, or later. WW2 parts are dried up and getting expensive. Top covers, bipods, grips, and flash hiders have doubled in two years.

You can build it yourself, with patience. And if you're willing to learn, and wait for the right parts, and have a friend help for a few bucks it will be a lot less expensive.

As you know, you're missing the front nose and whole rear of the receiver. So to build there are two roads to take: (1) original german or (2) just build to shoot. #1 will be worth a lot more money for the same amount of work, but it will take longer and be more expensive.

The chance of finding just the front nose for WW2 is close to zero, but not zero. If you wait long enough you'll find a complete front end, albeit with the nose (bearing) torched. The WW2 rear parts do come up; they run $600 - $1000 (or more!) right now. If you're serious about it you'll want to match the rear (mfg & date) with the front. The big thing here is patience- you can buy what you need on GB but it's going to hurt, or you can watch GB and talk to people and find what you need at a far less expense.

If you don't care that it's all WW2, use a whole MG3 nose (sight ears, etc.) now going for about $250. Then you either find a M53 rear (low probability, $600) or aftermarket shells ($300 plus maybe $150 in other parts) and have a machinist/ welder help you stick to the blueprints.

After the receiver is "done" you need a semi grip and bolt. You can get these from BRP (~$750 IIRC) or modify the one you have with a mill and add AR15 FCG.

No matter what, when you have the receiver all welded, I'll tell you the same thing I tell every excited owner: "Congratulations! You're 1/3 done!". These things need work, tweaking, testing, fitting, filing, etc. It's dozens and dozens of hours...and frustration. Building an MG42-type is not like an AR15, FAL, or even 1919a4.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Well the first thing to do is clean off that rust and get the parts oiled.

You can sell now, or later. WW2 parts are dried up and getting expensive. Top covers, bipods, grips, and flash hiders have doubled in two years.

You can build it yourself, with patience. And if you're willing to learn, and wait for the right parts, and have a friend help for a few bucks it will be a lot less expensive.

As you know, you're missing the front nose and whole rear of the receiver. So to build there are two roads to take: (1) original german or (2) just build to shoot. #1 will be worth a lot more money for the same amount of work, but it will take longer and be more expensive.

The chance of finding just the front nose for WW2 is close to zero, but not zero. If you wait long enough you'll find a complete front end, albeit with the nose (bearing) torched. The WW2 rear parts do come up; they run $600 - $1000 (or more!) right now. If you're serious about it you'll want to match the rear (mfg & date) with the front. The big thing here is patience- you can buy what you need on GB but it's going to hurt, or you can watch GB and talk to people and find what you need at a far less expense.

If you don't care that it's all WW2, use a whole MG3 nose (sight ears, etc.) now going for about $250. Then you either find a M53 rear (low probability, $600) or aftermarket shells ($300 plus maybe $150 in other parts) and have a machinist/ welder help you stick to the blueprints.

After the receiver is "done" you need a semi grip and bolt. You can get these from BRP (~$750 IIRC) or modify the one you have with a mill and add AR15 FCG.

No matter what, when you have the receiver all welded, I'll tell you the same thing I tell every excited owner: "Congratulations! You're 1/3 done!". These things need work, tweaking, testing, fitting, filing, etc. It's dozens and dozens of hours...and frustration. Building an MG42-type is not like an AR15, FAL, or even 1919a4.

I plan do all the research I can before I even come close to any kind of a decision. For now it looks like I'll put them back on the shelf but I'm going to keep investigating and researching.

You're not being a downer (sort of haha), I'm an average blue collar guy who can't afford just drop a bunch of money on a project like this. I got tied up into a G43 rifle restoration and then I started my 1919 a few weeks ago but fortunately the G43 was an easy fix and the 1919 has been relatively cheap to start. Nothing like prices for SA stuff for these kits. man they are expensive. Well sometimes you can want something for your collection but it's just going to be a bit too far outta reach. :cautious:
I built a SA 42 about 10 years ago. I was using a Hazard Freight flux welder and dremel tool. I literally started off building a 'dummy' gun but as soon as I started welding I knew I wanted a firing gun. 10 years ago, 3 cut receivers were still available and I snagged a NICE one, but my crappy welding probably did more damage than good. Im actually embarrassed by my work, but back then I was more concerned about learning how to build than I was about preserving parts. I think theres 2 major problems you are up against. 1) you need a receiver and 2) semi auto parts are drying up. It seems like semi 42 builds were a 'flash in the pan' (like FALS were back in 2002-2005) and the info has come and gone. If you can find a 3 cut, or a 4 cut with a good nose, go for it. Dont worry about pistol grips or internal components, they can be easily made locally. But without those receiver parts....it will be an uphill battle.

PS- Shoot me a PM about your '43. Im in the middle of restoring one myself. It came with the internet famous Fox repro stock (amazing!!), but also a garbage repro plastic handguard. Ive searched the world 10X over looking for a wood handguard and cant find one......

I actually have everything your seeking
I keep debating between building it or selling it.
I have 2 BRP Series 2 S/A bolts and Complete Grip Frames.
I bought the 80 % receiver off of Weapons guild probably 10-15 years ago now.
It is full length 1 piece receiver has a flat plate welded in inside the body of the receiver were the rails go.
The ejection slot is about the only thing that needs to be milled out and the S/A denial block needs to be welded in if you want to make a S/A. before you remove the flat bar tacked in were the rails would go. If you are an 07 you can build as a post sample I guess.
I've tried a few times to find out what it's worth but nobody here has been able to give me a clue . Perhaps because there weren't very many made? I'm not sure who made it its was either BRP back when they were selling complete guns or Weislite ?
I have all the other bits and pieces to build in 8mm or 308.

Here is a picture of receiver.
Water Wood Rolling Tints and shades Automotive exterior

I actually have everything your seeking
I keep debating between building it or selling it.
I have 2 BRP Series 2 S/A bolts and Complete Grip Frames.
I bought the 80 % receiver off of Weapons guild probably 10-15 years ago now.
It is full length 1 piece receiver has a flat plate welded in inside the body of the receiver were the rails go.
The ejection slot is about the only thing that needs to be milled out and the S/A denial block needs to be welded in if you want to make a S/A. before you remove the flat bar tacked in were the rails would go. If you are an 07 you can build as a post sample I guess.
I've tried a few times to find out what it's worth but nobody here has been able to give me a clue . Perhaps because there weren't very many made? I'm not sure who made it its was either BRP back when they were selling complete guns or Weislite ?
I have all the other bits and pieces to build in 8mm or 308.

Here is a picture of receiver. View attachment 105259
The receiver pictured was made by Brian Polling and is a two piece receiver with the seam under the trunnion. I built half a dozen post May samples using these and they are accurate and were a pleasure to build. Unfortunately, a FA build was super easy since the receiver itself needed little work, such as ejection port and grip frame cutouts and the plate inside the rear of the receiver removed, etc. The best part was that the annoying work was done: the barrel stop was installed as were the buffer lockup, recuperator anchor and latch pivot, muzzle bushing sleeve, etc. ATF shut BP's production down. That was only a matter of time given how easy it was to build an FA example. Later, 80%, 2 piece receiver design submissions to ATF were turned down. Four piece receiver designs were approved.
Still have a few of these BPS and consider them to be worth $3-4k or more.
I'm done doing MG42 semi builds from kits or repairs of attempts by others having done many dozens of them since the early 1990s.
Beware aftermarket receiver sections. Except for BP's, they are out of spec. Muzzle bushing sleeves are excellent.
if you must build one find an early demil with all receiver parts from the same gun. It will be expensive but absolutely worth it.
Better to save up your money and by one and make sure you go and test it with the seller. The semi internals are fragile. I've repaired many with varieties of damage. They can require a lot of TLC. FWIW

Discussion starter · #31 ·
The receiver pictured was made by Brian Polling and is a two piece receiver with the seam under the trunnion. I built half a dozen post May samples using these and they are accurate and were a pleasure to build. Unfortunately, a FA build was super easy since the receiver itself needed little work, such as ejection port and grip frame cutouts and the plate inside the rear of the receiver removed, etc. The best part was that the annoying work was done: the barrel stop was installed as were the buffer lockup, recuperator anchor and latch pivot, muzzle bushing sleeve, etc. ATF shut BP's production down. That was only a matter of time given how easy it was to build an FA example. Later, 80%, 2 piece receiver design submissions to ATF were turned down. Four piece receiver designs were approved.
Still have a few of these BPS and consider them to be worth $3-4k or more.
I'm done doing MG42 semi builds from kits or repairs of attempts by others having done many dozens of them since the early 1990s.
Beware aftermarket receiver sections. Except for BP's, they are out of spec. Muzzle bushing sleeves are excellent.
if you must build one find an early demil with all receiver parts from the same gun. It will be expensive but absolutely worth it.
Better to save up your money and by one and make sure you go and test it with the seller. The semi internals are fragile. I've repaired many with varieties of damage. They can require a lot of TLC. FWIW
Well I know my build is going to be hard but I have some guys on weaponsguild helping me. I have already removed the barrel bushings from the shroud and I have ordered and prepped an MG3 camming section with an HK camming block. Next I am having the barrel bushing and camming section welded together by a friend who has done about a half dozen kits. My next biggest problem I face is the rear receiver section. I am no welder and I want to buy a quality rear section to boot. I would like to find a receiver done enough where I can purchase it and have it sent to my FFL and register it to my name, then have someone help me complete it.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Brian at BRP talked to me a great length and told me start with the front and work my way to the back. He said if I cant find a rear section he knows how far to get a rear section along without it being a manufacturing concern. He said my brother will have to help as a machinist to get the indexing right on the rail position. I am probably a moron for this but I'm going to give it the ol college try.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Do what Brian says and you won’t go wrong.He has helped me out a few times and everything has always worked out, Not only very knowledgeable, but always willing to share that knowledge. He’s a good man.
Yes, he is extremely knowldgeable. I told him how bad my kits were and he was honest, he said it's going to be tough but it was doable. I'm taking pics as I go on the build.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Its not just the missing rear chunk. Your front section is trash too. With a demil like that, you have to cut off whats left and reweld on an entire new nose bearing. If you REALLY want to pursue this, Id look for an original, clean 3 cut receiver with intact nose. Trying to make a firing gun from that one receiver scrap is going to take a new rear section (and buttstock cams) , grafted to the current mid section and a nose job that may require a lathe to facilitate installation. I hate to be a Debby Downer, but this would be a huge undertaking. Anything can be rebuilt with enough time and money, but this one would stretch even the richest mans patience. On the other hand, you could make a small fortune selling those parts and have enough to partially pay for a pre fabricated SA MG42.
I thought I would give an update to this post. I guess I should probably start a new thread (?) after this. I decided to make a go of it from my kits. I got center sections and rear buffer sections from RTG and A rear receiver shell from Global Tool and Machine. I have new front bushings and the center trunion section is already welded in place for a long shroud. The torched bushing is out and the nose was squared off so now I'll make a sheet metal ring to replace the torched/missing sheet metal in the nose. I'm no machinist but it bugged me to see them set there. And as A car guy I believe anything can be restored! I have a friend helping me with welding and fitting so that I get it right! I guess when it's done I'll do a whole start to finish thread on it instead of here.

Attachments

I thought I would give an update to this post. I guess I should probably start a new thread (?) after this. I decided to make a go of it from my kits. I got center sections and rear buffer sections from RTG and A rear receiver shell from Global Tool and Machine. I have new front bushings and the center trunion section is already welded in place for a long shroud. The torched bushing is out and the nose was squared off so now I'll make a sheet metal ring to replace the torched/missing sheet metal in the nose. I'm no machinist but it bugged me to see them set there. And as A car guy I believe anything can be restored! I have a friend helping me with welding and fitting so that I get it right! I guess when it's done I'll do a whole start to finish thread on it instead of here.
Ya big dummy, you are committed now. In for a penny, in for a pound.:):cool::p

If you can weld and grind, it will be an easy project for you. There isnt much machine work involved. As I said earlier, I kind of cut my teeth on this project and my welding looks like you see in a 3rd world auto shop.....but my gun runs. I did have to take the firing pin camming piece to a shop to get drilled thru for the SA firing pin. The poor machinist looked at me and asked 'what the hell is this made of? I burned thru 3 bits cutting this thing'...

Keep us posted. Semi 42's are pretty rare nowadays.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Ya big dummy, you are committed now. In for a penny, in for a pound.:):cool::p

If you can weld and grind, it will be an easy project for you. There isnt much machine work involved. As I said earlier, I kind of cut my teeth on this project and my welding looks like you see in a 3rd world auto shop.....but my gun runs. I did have to take the firing pin camming piece to a shop to get drilled thru for the SA firing pin. The poor machinist looked at me and asked 'what the hell is this made of? I burned thru 3 bits cutting this thing'...

Keep us posted. Semi 42's are pretty rare nowadays.
I don't know what was more pathetic, those poor kits on my shelf looking, how you said trashed, or me wallowing on my couch knowing I had TWO MG42 kits on my shelf that were doing nothing....... I have enough to at least take the second kit and install the nose bushing and repair the trunion section to a long shroud kit for now.
I do have a friend who built one or two of these but he now lives out of state. He's going to help me with the receiver best he can but can't do it all because he doesn't have the license to do a full receiver. He's going to put in the buffer tabs. The MG3 nomenclature piece I'm going to make a key chain out of for my Maverick since he's not using the sides of the rear MG3 section. He's going to install the barrel bushing for me and use some scrap sheet metal he said he can mimic the 42 front shroud with the pressed dimples since my dimples are still there. My brother is a commercial industrial machinist and my father works for his high school friend at a gun repair shop that's a full machine shop so I had a good backing to start this! I bought several welders (not expensive ones) to try to upgrade my welding ability. I'm not sure where the Turkey Turd looking weld falls on the scale, but I figure it'll have to be a bit better than that! I am getting better though. I've been practicing on a cut up FAL barrel and scrap pieces from an UZI receiver.
I will start a new thread I suppose, once I get further down the rabbit hole.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Bumping this thread a bit. I am planning on starting a new thread on my build. A good friend of mine is going to do a couple of critical welds for me since I am not that great of a welder. Since that's what he does everyday he said just send him the shroud and receiver and he'll get it right. In the meantime he said he'll send it back before christmas and then probably a new thread on how to finish the bugger!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts