Interested?

• Yes

• No

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I’m looking for a place to meet interested folks who share a passion for building. I’m working on many projects right now. I’m an 07/02 and I have reason for all of these builds. All of the paperwork has been filed for anything I do.

I’m working on the following builds.

1919a4 (needs 2 more rivets for what I think is the extractor cam)

1919a6 (needs right side plate removed and replaced and the)

1970ish East German AK47 (needs some body work)

19XX Romanian Underfolder. (Demilled)

1942 Sten mk. 2 (needs ejector installed, body work)

M2 Carbine/M1A1 Carbine (stock needs sanding for clearance. Might need new 9 spring and tripping lever)

Anyhow I like to build and I’m getting better. I don’t know why I like to work so many at the same time but I just do. I hate waiting for parts.

Id like to post about my builds here. Would anyone find that interesting? My name is John. I’ll tell you about my business eventually too.

·
12,607 Posts
Being your first post, maybe it’s best to tell us a little about you and your business first.

there have been extensive build threads on the 1919

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being your first post, maybe it’s best to tell us a little about you and your business first.

there have been extensive build threads on the 1919
Sure. I tried to avoid the shameless self promotion, but you asked.
I’m a former aerospace engineer who specialized in finite element analysis for optical/mechanical systems. Often I worked NASA, CSA and other aerospace prime jobs as an on-site contractor. I’ve also done a fair bit of consulting for composite and aircraft startups. Some stuff in oil and fracking too. I’m 33 now. I broke my back and became a paraplegic in 2017.
My company is Advanced Shooting Analytics, Inc. We are investor backed. We debuted at SHOT Show 2020, were called the most innovative product there and have completed our seed fundraising. We are looking for a series A investor although we still have active seed round terms.
I’ve developed a thermally stable sniper rifle chassis for Remington 700 platforms in the first release and the other patterns will be debuted soon too. We also do our own “gunsmithing” in house as well. I put gunsmithing in quotes because we machine firearm assemblies to the same standards, tolerances and using the same machines that during other times of the day make aerospace and medical equipment. It’s not a typical shop in terms of the talent of the machinists and the equipment used. I have found one out of house gunsmith, Fritz, and the first release with be with barrels he’s assembled for our blueprinted actions
Other cool things are in development as add ons to the rifle system.
I’ve teamed with Pacific Tool and Gauge and their actions and tooling will be used exclusively in the release. I mention below too that I’ve teamed with an optics company as well but nothing has been signed so I’m not announcing their name yet. You could probably figure it out though.
The designs are finished and the production version of this rifle system has been 95% assembled. Right now I’m waiting for one more vendor to deliver the last parts. As soon as they come in, I’ll post the pictures and open up the ordering information page. My website is lagging behind the actual progress and I need to fix that, but you can find at www.advancedshootinganalytics.com a video that shows the technology pretty well. I call it the most accurate sniper rifle in the world because there is no other system that behaves the same at the temperature it was assembled at and/or the temperature it was sighted in at compared to whatever operational environment it is to be used in. I’m over 2500 times more stable and thus more accurate than my competitors. I’ve tested this using autocollimators and a thermal chamber in the test lab that I built. My niche background made this a pretty easy technological development project, however carrying the brunt of the business development side of things has been exhausting.
I am working with SOCOM on a DARPA funded trial. It’s in the very early phases right now. I’ve also partnered with who I believe to be the best optics company out there to apply our CTX technology to their scope and our mount.
I’m actively participating in military proposals for automatic weapons too, and thus the need for these automatic weapon builds. Nothing sells our modernized assault and squad weapons like first giving the customer a 100 year old weapon to shoot first. Im also passionate about history and weapon preservation so all the builds are funded by me personally.
Does that help at all?

·
12,607 Posts
Very informative and I’m sure will garner interest with others here. For the older arms, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better knowledge base anywhere else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Very informative and I’m sure will garner interest with others here. For the older arms, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better knowledge base anywhere else.
I really hope so. The A4 and A6 are sort of dream builds. I had a mentor with both but he passed unexpectedly and far, far too young. I had to take some time to let those guns sit and to recover, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to proceed. I think the A4 will be done very soon. I only need to rivet what I think is the extractor on what I think is the left side plate (I'm not looking at it). The A6 needs my right side plate removed and re-riveted due to a stupid mistake...er...learning experience. I'm pretty competent with engineering and the modern side of things but I'll fully admit that I have a long way to go with re-welds and older builds. I have a Bridgeport, a new Sharp lathe, Oxy/Acet, Miller 211 that I'm good with, a Miller Tig that I'm not good with yet, a CP714 and lots of other air/electric/hand tools. I love learning new skills. Personal growth is my real passion.

I did a follow along build for an AR10 before I got involved with ASA and ELR and people on a 6.5 forum taught me so much. I also made a great friend in the Boulder/Fort Collins area. There is nothing like real time feedback from an educated community.

I'm excited to be surrounded by like minded folks, especially on the build side. My wife is very helpful with ASA, a great shot, a smart and beautiful woman, but... I think I've reached my quota on time discussing how cool an air-hammer is. I'm hoping to make some friends here.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Well, it sounds like you have teamed up with some great folks and have an interesting career already. I have built many Browning's and am kind of a geek when it comes to the history behind the gun, the history, and the manufacturing methods used during the wartime production of them. Feel free to reach out if I can be of any assistance. Russ

1 Posts
Very interested in where you learned of the manufacturing methods and what historical aspects you’re most interested in.
From what I understand, Browning was basically called in by a small committee including Hatcher and some other “gods” and was asked to turn the 1917 into an air cooled design. Based on the dates I’m assuming it took less that a year. I’ve never looked into the insides of the ‘17 but I’m amazed at how many simultaneous moving operations there are, and how reliable the internal cam and ramp surfaces are, even in the amazing environments it saw. It’s equally amazing how the bureaucracy was just ignored. Someone smart just said, “ask John”.

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
... I only need to rivet what I think is the extractor on what I think is the left side plate (I'm not looking at it). The A6 needs my right side plate removed and re-riveted due to a stupid mistake...er...learning experience...
Finite element analysis - that brings back some memories. But please lets not bring up Tensor analysis or complex variables.

I do have the rivets you need: 60 deg. Rivets, Rivet tools, Countersinks and Drill bits For Sale | 1919 A4 Forums (speaking of shameless self promotion). MSG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts