1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Has anybody tried using cherry max rivets for those impossible to get to rivets in a vickers water jacket ? We use them in aviation and they form a tight seal and are not hollow and weak like the pop rivets. Plus they have a solid round head when pulled. Although they are made from aluminum they are strong enough for aircraft so should be strong enough for a vickers. A small dab of paint could hide the aluminum color of them. I was thinking of using them for my vickers builds- just for the water jacket rivets, solids for the rest.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow! Thanks everyone for the help. Man I go to work and miss out before I can start making a plan!

This is truly a great group of folks here and I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I reckon I should cerakote my Holland and Holland shotguns or at least that old James Purdey because the case colors and rust blue isn’t nearly as durable.
[/QUOTE]

Oh god, no!
This is giving me heart palpitations.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Glad it went to a good home! Wife is already looking at the 1919A6 and giving me that "Oh bother" look. The Vickers though will happen, I just need to liquidate some superfluous items from the collection first. My FFL and I love building these weird things and he and I have had a lot of fun on other projects.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts
ive seen several transferrable vickers with mount, belts, and several grand worth of kit go for 15k over the past year. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Just fyi, a vickers is not an easy gun to build correctly. Now bear in mind most aren’t built correctly and im including transferable sideplate guns built by a lot of familiar names. the trunnion is riveted and soldered to the sideplates and the rivet heads are actually in the waterspace of the jacket, so they will leak if not done well, then the waterjacket has to be threaded back onto the trunnion, timed, and soldered without getting the trunnion so hot that you melt the solder holding it to the sideplates and keeping water from leaking. oh sure they can be built with dome head screws and washers, epoxy, welded, or even glued, but to build one right is very involved. Nothing like 1917 or a maxim.
+1 to this comment, having gone through 3 builds. The best kit to start with is a virgin Aussie Lithgow kit. Here's a list of the different rivets:

Ref # Description Quantity
2 RIVETS, long 2
3 RIVETS, short 3
5 RIVET 5
8 RIVETS, lower 2
9 RIVETS, upper 2
12 RIVET, csk. head 2
13 RIVETS, snap head., long 6
14 RIVETS, snap head., short 6
16 RIVETS, csk. head 1
17 RIVETS, csk. head 1
18 RIVETS, short 1
19 RIVETS, long 1
20 RIVET, snap head 3
22 RIVET, snap head 1
23 RIVET 1
25 RIVET 2
26 STUD, fusee spring box, front, Mk I 1
28 RIVET 1
29 RIVET, snap head 5
30 RIVET, csk. head 1
31 RIVET, long 7
Total 54

There are 16 different lengths/sizes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thank you all I really appreciate it. I apologize for delays in replies, been an eventful and painful couple of days.

A side question that I had, can a Vickers be made to run in 7.62x54R or 7.62 Nato?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
A Vickers at a minimum can run in .303, 7.92MM, .30-06, 7.62 Nato, 7.62x54R Russian, and 11MM (sure MDE 45-70), and a few less common calibers. You need correct extractor, barrel, and feed block.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A Vickers at a minimum can run in .303, 7.92MM, .30-06, 7.62 Nato, 7.62x54R Russian, and 11MM (sure MDE 45-70), and a few less common calibers. You need correct extractor, barrel, and feed block.
Thank you! Sounds like it will be interesting. Sad that I would need to liquidate some other pieces but it would be the more responsible way to make this happen.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sure! I have a semi-auto 1939 Vickers Australian gun built on a Halo plate for $4,900 plus shipping that is surplus to my needs.
Red:

I am interested in your Vickers. Can you contact me off line or cell please.
Cell is 775- two nine one - 274 zero or at j-mcclurg AT sbcglobal.net

I have a Tripod all ready that came with my OZ kit, so am good to go on that.

Thanks,

Chuck
Carson City
Nevada

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
ive seen several transferrable vickers with mount, belts, and several grand worth of kit go for 15k over the past year. Just sayin.
I have to agree with what you are just sayin. I don't have ton of money but at the prices some of these semi autos are bringing, there seems little point to semi auto. I bought my Vickers kit at about $1900 I think with the tripod. Thats more on the lines of 1/10th the $15K-$17k going rate of the time. That was kind of expensive for the time too. Today you are seeming semi autos at $5k when the registered ones are at $15k. I will take 1/3rd the amount and upgrade all to full auto please. At $5k a semi, you can give a 2 to 1 semi to FA gun rate on many Transferable MGs. I don't think I have more than $3k into any of my Semis, Maybe not more than $2.5K. At that price point my $2.5K MG34 is about 1/10th the Transferable rate. My $1300 1919a4 (with tripod) is about 1/10th the going rate of FA 1919a4s. My $1k MG42 semi is like 1/40th the price of a Transferable. I will say I have a bit more into a MP44 parts kit, but when complete will be no more than 1/5th the FA price but I really love that gun. Frankly this is why I sold off so many of my parts kits over the years and don't regret it. With that said, that SMG FG42 is still really tempting! Its a very cool gun and I guess that still fits that 1/10 or more range but is not made from original parts... I don't expect that will ever be in range but at $5k+ thats a long way to another transferable.

That all said, if I look at shooting 8mm. I have a FA MG08 and MG08/15. Semi MG34 and MG42. Mauser K98 RC. If I am going to shoot a bunch of 8mm... I am almost certainly shooting the Maxims and the MG34 and MG42 are collecting dust. If they were not such cool guns, I would sell them and reinvest in FA. I guess it all depends on if you are a collector or a shooter and I am still more of a shooter than a collector.

Why can't I be one of those guys that only wants Mosin Nagants or P38s... something relatively inexpensive for what you get!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have to agree with what you are just sayin. I don't have ton of money but at the prices some of these semi autos are bringing, there seems little point to semi auto. I bought my Vickers kit at about $1900 I think with the tripod. Thats more on the lines of 1/10th the $15K-$17k going rate of the time. That was kind of expensive for the time too. Today you are seeming semi autos at $5k when the registered ones are at $15k. I will take 1/3rd the amount and upgrade all to full auto please. At $5k a semi, you can give a 2 to 1 semi to FA gun rate on many Transferable MGs. I don't think I have more than $3k into any of my Semis, Maybe not more than $2.5K. At that price point my $2.5K MG34 is about 1/10th the Transferable rate. My $1300 1919a4 (with tripod) is about 1/10th the going rate of FA 1919a4s. My $1k MG42 semi is like 1/40th the price of a Transferable. I will say I have a bit more into a MP44 parts kit, but when complete will be no more than 1/5th the FA price but I really love that gun. Frankly this is why I sold off so many of my parts kits over the years and don't regret it. With that said, that SMG FG42 is still really tempting! Its a very cool gun and I guess that still fits that 1/10 or more range but is not made from original parts... I don't expect that will ever be in range but at $5k+ thats a long way to another transferable.

That all said, if I look at shooting 8mm. I have a FA MG08 and MG08/15. Semi MG34 and MG42. Mauser K98 RC. If I am going to shoot a bunch of 8mm... I am almost certainly shooting the Maxims and the MG34 and MG42 are collecting dust. If they were not such cool guns, I would sell them and reinvest in FA. I guess it all depends on if you are a collector or a shooter and I am still more of a shooter than a collector.

Why can't I be one of those guys that only wants Mosin Nagants or P38s... something relatively inexpensive for what you get!
I am really trying to understand what you are saying but frankly I seem to be missing the point. Are we talking parts kits or semi's. What is the reference point for your pricing, today or 10 years ago?

Is it true that some FA guns have dropped in value over the last couple of years and semi guns have risen in value during that period, maybe. Is it more desirable to own a FA gun then a semi and is it a better investment, depends on a whole host of factors. Markets are cyclical, a year ago or so a superb FA German Maxim 08/15 was listed for around $9.5K by a board member and was up for sale at SAR. Today on Gun Broker people are asking $19.5K for lesser examples. Supply and demand.

Finally value of MG parts and kits is way up. I do not know where they all went but try buying major parts or accessories for a Vickers, Maxim, 1928 Colt, or Breda M37.

Respectfully

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Glad that sold as I was a thinking about it. L999here please enjoy. Post pics please.
Been digging out Vickers parts as of late and reviewing.
Enjoy steaming everyone that can.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

21 - 37 of 37 Posts