1919 A4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
FYI-Better to keep thine mouth shut and be thought a fool than to contridict loboslanding and brassmagnet and be known a fool!:D:D!

Hey old timers!-LOL:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Thought we wouldn't see that "old timers" comment, huh? :D :D

Personally, I think that if you are at least attempting to headspace, you're on the right track. Usually then tweaking is all that's required. If you go in blind not even knowing what headspacing is (which happens alot it seems), you're just inviting dissaster.

I do enjoy reading all the different methods and opinions :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Doesn't pay to be cheap

Gang,

In reference to post # 1 from Loboslanding I would say that it doesn't PAY to be cheap when firing one of these guns, ESPECIALLY a full auto! I have both the .308 & 30.06 bolts. Although, it has been written here in this thread, I would never use a .308 bolt to shoot 8mm!
I never used a gauge although I just bought one for the first time a few months back. I haven't even tried using it yet. I used to know how to headspace my gun perfectly as the manufacturer showed me in person how to do it. I will be shooting it soon after a multi year moratorium sitting in my safe. First I will try & remember once it is in my hands. Then I will consult the book that came with my gun. I hope it comes back to me after all these years but at least I have you good people to help out.
My observations here though are that there seems to be several methods of headspacing the 1919's. This gets confusing! I can see where the new fellas get confused. Which way is best? I really don't know! I hope I can remember because after shooting about 30,000 RDs I only had one ruptured case. Knock wood! :)
BUT, in my opinion, and I'm no expert, if you want to shoot cheapo corrosive 8mm out of your gun, buy a 30.06 bolt! Just my opinion, please don't shoot...:eek:

Bruce

·
Registered
15 Posts
glad you said to read the tutorials, and not to give the hell up and go home. I am a bit slow to catch on to new things, and concepts{hey it happens}---I will read and re-read to make sure I don't screw myself up---appreciate it

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
It seems that this warning appears every six months or so which is always a good idea. Just a suggestion, why can't it be posted permanenetly to the totorials page as well? Not too long ago I wanted to make reference to it and thought it was already there but could not find it.

By the way I tried to copy it today and for some reason I only got the .223 ad on the left side of the post. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
builders

a couple of years ago someone built my 1919 and sent it back to me. cant find his info think it was off a website where kits were sold. anyway looking to have 2 more built does anybody know who i can contact? thanks

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
this is an old thread but very good reading for newbies!

i'd suggest you contact:

John McGuire
931-808-9272
[email protected]

don't think anyone here would argue with me! JM does XXXcellent work!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Thanks for periodically running the headspacing tutorial. This is how I found it and used it to set the headspace and fire my new "Mcguire" 1919a4. I never even tried the headspacing gauge. Set it using the ammo I was firing. Everything worked fine.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
These archived topics are invaluable to new 1919 builders. I hope everyone takes some time to look over all the info posted previously by some of the pioneer 1919 builders in this forum :D

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Real good to bring this "up front" once in a while. I see there are a LOT of new owners, especially in the last year or so!!

These archived topics are invaluable to new 1919 builders. I hope everyone takes some time to look over all the info posted previously by some of the pioneer 1919 builders in this forum :D

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
this is a great thread starting with Lobos' post #1.

btw: where the hell is Lobo? Got my POW/MIA flag flying! need a sit rep on the good ole man! hope you/he are/is well! :cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good info here. I'm getting ready to do my FIRST build. Bolt guns - I know, semi-autos - not so much, belt feds - I am ignorant.
This thread helps as I plan on doing a 308 and 8mm on the same receiver.

·
Registered
257 Posts
btw: where the hell is Lobo? Got my POW/MIA flag flying! need a sit rep on the good ole man! hope you/he are/is well! :cool:
iRIGHti, what's up! I've been wondering the same thing. Great Guy. I remember he was in the hospital, Got a new bike, got married or a new girlfriend I can't remember which. Hopefully he's just changed his interest a little and is Happy and Healthy! Lobo, I hope all is well with you! Thanks for your posts, time, and tools you loaned.

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
you are welcome! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just set the headspace with my brandnew 1919A4 using the Browning headsapce tool- never fired the waepon yet. When reassembling, the driving spring rod remains "protruding out" and I cannot get it to turn back into the housing. Also the trigger is locked...should I take apart again?

·
Registered
827 Posts
The drive rod should remain out of the rear. When you reassemble the weapon pull the bolt all the way to the rear and then turn the drive rod. This will release the bolt and then you can ease it forward. If you did everything else right it should now cycle and the trigger should work.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts