1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about constructing a small lunchbox or bigger sized wooden box to hold a few spare parts, case extractor, wrench, rags, and oil can. I was going to use a leather strap as a handle and paint it OD green.

Was one issued with the weapon?

What did it look like?

Balming

·
Registered
6 Posts
A guy I know has a spare parts sachel. It is a tri-fold type and has pockets for all the spare parts needed to keep the 1919 operational. I believe it is an Israeli military surplus item. May be able to locate one from Sarco or somewhere like that. Hope this helps you.
Robert

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some canvas here, I might make a small tool roll to go into the tool box.

Good idea.

B

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Tool Boxes

Several years ago, I was given several mahogony measuring instrument boxes of different sizes that were in great condition. A little greasy and dirty, but I cleaned the wood, removed all the internal compartments, made new compartments, lined the inside with pool table cloth, painted the outside OD Green, and stenciled what the box contained inside (Tools, MG 1919A4, Browning) (Parts, Spare, MG 1919A4, Browning). These look great at the range and I always get asked if they are original, but they are just "fantasy" boxes!

I also have the canvas tool and parts pouches that are in the wood boxes. My most useful box is a plastic box where I keep adj. wrenches, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, hand wipe cloths, HAMMER, etc. This box is the most used when something needs "adjusting", LOL!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Abwehr said:
Several years ago, I was given several mahogony measuring instrument boxes of different sizes that were in great condition. A little greasy and dirty, but I cleaned the wood, removed all the internal compartments, made new compartments, lined the inside with pool table cloth, painted the outside OD Green, and stenciled what the box contained inside (Tools, MG 1919A4, Browning) (Parts, Spare, MG 1919A4, Browning). These look great at the range and I always get asked if they are original, but they are just "fantasy" boxes!

I also have the canvas tool and parts pouches that are in the wood boxes. My most useful box is a plastic box where I keep adj. wrenches, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, hand wipe cloths, HAMMER, etc. This box is the most used when something needs "adjusting", LOL!

Het Ab, that sounds neat! Post a pic of them if you can.

I have a few old OD green wooden boxes that cans of ammo came in, and these boxes have military style hasps and hinges. I was thinking about robbing the hardware from them for my project. It would give them a more "military" look.

B

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
balming,

Well, I would post photos, but I am out of town. I will be home this weekend, and if I get time, I will try to post some photos, but I can't promise. My next trip home will be 8 weeks after that; bummer!

The ammo boxes make GREAT storage type chests! If you need German stuff, it is mostly a re-paint, with US, you need to do a little sanding to "spife" up the crate. Then paint OD Green and you have a low cost, authentic appearing chest! My favorite ammo boxes are the Romanian 8mm crates. A little cleaning and some correct color paint and you have an almost perfect German chest!

Edit 1 - In case you are needing some Tool Pouches, I just found these that you may be interested in. The price seems really good, but I don't know the company selling them so I can;t vouch for them. Here is the link, and scroll down about half way of the page for the Tool Pouches: http://www.militaryspecialtiesinc.com/web/US/WW2UsPacksPouches/US_Pg1_PacksPouches.htm

Edit 2 - I just ordered several each of the M10, M12, & M13 Tool Pouches. These are supposed to be NOS and in excellent condition. I think these sell for around $15 at BMG Parts. The folks that I talked with were really nice. They said they normally ship all items on Friday and/or Saturday by USPS insured. The price on the pouches were $8 ea. and they had plenty. They also have a lot of other WWII US and German stuff too. I want to look more at their website when I get the time. By the way, the fellow I talked with said the owner has a FA 1919A4 he shoots! I will advise when the pouches arrive. It will be a while before I see them, so I will get my wife to fill me in on condition and let you know.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Well I posted a long winded response and it went nowhere. I'll try again. In answer to your original question "did the Army issue a parts chest" the answer is possibly. Both FM 23-5 October 1955 and July 1965 show the gun crew at drill and there is box described as a spare parts chest. The manual says that the T&E was also carried in the box. The chest appears to be metal, about twice the width of a .30 cal ammo box and maybe half again longer. The chest has a luggage style carry handle in the middle of the lid. The lid is rounded on the front and flat on the back. No description is given. It looks like an off the shelf tool box painted OD. TM 9-1005-212-25 list two boxes under different part numbers: Box spare parts, 7268549 and 7268550. Again there is no picture or description. In my Guard unit we had 4, 1919A6 and 2 .50 cal BMGs. We never had any tool boxes for either but of course after about 1967 we were not authorized any spare parts anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure about in US service, but in Canadian service we had them. I have a fairly minty origional. The olive green metal box measured 16" X 7" X7". It has a letherette covered handle on top of the lid. There are no dividers, trays or secondary compartments. The nomenclature on it is : Chest steel M5 D28243 and it was manufactured by Hamilton metal products, Hamilton Ohio, USA. Mine shows a packing date of 1950.
When the origionals eventually got ruined, they were replaced with similar sized commercial red toolboxes which would eventually get painted green.
The box would hold everything from the asbestos mitts to the T&E, to the smaller canvas pouches like the spare top cover pouch, the tool roll, etc.

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is from ORD 7 SNL A-5 M1917A1

Probably the same for the A4

Getting to late to pull camera out, but there is a steel tray for the inside of these boxes. Mine has a round steel handle. There is also a leather handle.

Craig

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
That portable tool box shown on page 90 of TM 9-1005-212-25 was probably part of some of the equipment issued for the weapon at DS, GS and Depot level maintenance. I think it was far too large to have been carried in combat by the crew. Notice how none of these boxes were water tight. In every military unit I was in, we always adapted .50 cal ammo cans to the task of storing cleaning equipment and tools just because they were handy, water proof, dust proof and available. The last manual that I have seen for the .30 cal Brownings was published in April 1969. That was TM 9-1005-212-10, Operator's Manual for 1919A4, 1919A6 and tripod M2, and it does not even mention a tool/spare parts chest. It shows the gun cover, the barrel cover, the tripod cover, the cleaning rod case and a small parts cover. It does not even show the M13 parts pouch. By the way I have an M14 pouch made during WWII and similar to the M13. Does anyone know what this was issued for. My guess .50 cal BMG.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts