1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have resolved to go shooting every time the weather co-operates, even in the slightest. Just me & Donna........ Forgot camera on both Suns., no Thompson picts!!! Weds. pictures. Kinda old hat, she & I shooting. We have been 3 times in the past week, Sun/Weds/ Sun. Chatter part...she cant seem to get down to the rear site on AR, (AR has short stock, low recoil) complains about ear muffs, they are the shallow kind. Refused plugs, cant seem to get them in correctly.../??? I dont seem to have any trouble. AR trigger a bit creepy & stiff. Looked in Brownells, they have replacements that have been polished & coated for kinda cheapy. Any experience here with these???

We played .22 w/Chinese ATD copy & Brazilian M-62. ATD rifle unbelievably accurate. Golf balls at 80ft were pretty easy. BRP 9mm gun is a real winner. If you dont have one, you are missing out. Good for wimmen/children, easy sites, no recoil & good accuracy.

Tommy gun........Why the welded area on the bottom........both my guns show this, my Colts do not???

Tommy gun recoil spring/guide situation.........I weighed the actuator part I drilled holes in, holes are .440, 5 of them, weight removed = 1.250-0z according to a postal scale. Doesnt seem like much to me, may have done little to increase ROF. I will have to field a '21 gun at the same time as this one to see. Gun has worked flawlessly since, even with the kinking of the recoil spring in the space ahead of the guide. The new mil. springs I have pigtail & jump out of this space on cocking the gun. Cant use them without the extended recoil spring guide pictured below. I have remnants of an old telescoping guide, seems bent. I will get Barry to make an internal part for it after straightening. We have another partially made up, plunger is way too long, needs a redesign.

Old set up, this worked but spring kink still present.......

Newest set up.......seems to be better w/oiler in, darn spring still shows kink, about 7/8 space to hole in the bolt.

Telescoping guide components, spring loaded plunger only has to be 1.250 or there abouts.

PJH

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
PJ,

on my m1's... they have about a 1/4" of play between the recoil rod & the back of the bolt.. & when the gun is in battery that doesnt leave enough room for the spring to get away/kink.

it DOES have a slight dip in it like in your picture... but its never kinked. (but im not putting near the lead down range that you are)

on my 28's in semi set up, my guiderod goes just to the rear of the bolt face & when you cock the bolt all the way back it leaves about 1/8" clearance from bottoming out in there.

where did you get your replacement springs? numerich or sarco?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Well , there is a little trick to getting them in without kinking them , though the little bit between rod and bolt is normal .
You press the spring as far as you can down on the rod , then run a pin / punch /awl through the coils and the hole in the rod . Now comes the trick part . Turn the spring . It will " screw " down on the rod . When it's on far enough , the spring can be inserted without any fuss . Pull the pin out an you're done .
Chris

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spring situation

The original Numrich springs seem a bit feeble when compared to the ones that came with the telescoping guide device. The replacement ones I just got are US GI, still in their original wrapper. Now these are noticably stronger & about 1/2 longer. I am aware of the punch through the hole/twist the spring process. The US GI ones immediate pigtail & jump out of the space when using the original Numrich spring guide when the punch is removed.

Now, a longer spring guide in these guns will bottom out inside the bolt............wouldnt be good even if you could get it cocked. Hence the need for the telescoping spring guide...I have a new US GI spring in the other gun that has the repro spring guide we made some time back. All seems well there...........

Barry got the retaining plate made, I am having a bit of a problem finding a 3" long .240 spring to inside the telescoping one. Will check McMaster/Carr tomorrow.

PJH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts