1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Yeah I saw that too. I need one for a German sled mount and there are several styles that will work.
I spoke with several guys who know what these go for and unless it is WWI German most thought about $150 tops.
German marked traverse locks can bring up to $500 but $750 for that one is just crazy!!! :eek::eek::eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Yeah I saw that too. I need one for a German sled mount and there are several styles that will work.
I spoke with several guys who know what these go for and unless it is WWI German most thought about $150 tops.
German marked traverse locks can bring up to $500 but $750 for that one is just crazy!!! :eek::eek::eek:
CaptMax
At $150, I am buying almost any Traverse clamp! ANY! For resale. Its one of the most undervalued and most necessary parts of the tripod! Frankly they suck until you have one and they are often missing.

There were two for sale. Both sold in the same range. The first was for a Finnish mount. That is very high for it. However I paid $200+ for one from over seas years ago when the tripods were only worth $500. They just are not out there. The Finnish one use for the 1910s can not be used in place of the MG08 of Chinese version. I would have thought more in the range of $400 for it these days but the value Finn tripod has gone up a lot... so...

The second one was a very rare 1909 German Commercial tripod version. I have one in better shape and I valued it in that $700-800 range. While not as sought after, if you had someone while the gun missing one... you could name your price. I mean $2K might be cheap if you could find someone with a gun and tripod needing one. I don't even know if there are any in the US. I do have the pin with mine... but its not leaving my hands cheap. I frankly don't have it for sale. I would like to trade on a part like that as they are harder to find than the money... Capt, at least you know now I was not trying to rip you off when I said it was about an even trade for the police knife!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
If anyone needs a whole bunch of Maxim 08/15 parts, im selling a near complete parts kit, with lots o' good working parts. $1500 opening bid and no reserve. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=550782639
Come on man... is being high bidder not enough for you.... you have to try and get more people bidding against me! :)

I don't think anyone from here should bid it since you did not give us a chance to buy it out-right first! :tongue:

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Come on man... is being high bidder not enough for you.... you have to try and get more people bidding against me! :)

I don't think anyone from here should bid it since you did not give us a chance to buy it out-right first! :tongue:
Better hope that guy who bought the traverse assembly doesn't see this, he will bid it up to $5-6k at a minimum. :rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
811 Posts

I list things here now and then, and have given away some real bargains. Figured Id try to maximize some of my stuff, also didnt realize you were the high bidder. A few of those parts may have come from you in the first place. There are still lots of things Im going to let go, including more Maxim parts etc. I also find when I list here, I seem to get quite a few low ball offers. Everyone likes a bargain, but sometimes I really would prefer to come out ahead.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Better hope that guy who bought the traverse assembly doesn't see this, he will bid it up to $5-6k at a minimum. :rofl:
CaptMax
If you had a $15K MG08 on a Sled and needed that part.... would $750 stop you? Its only $250 more than what he should hope to be paying for a German MG08 version. I lots a bid on a MG08 version for $565 and would have kept bidding but I figured out I was bidding against a friend. For all the parts I have... thats one of the hardest to find in good shape. Its a much overlooked part!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
If you had a $15K MG08 on a Sled and needed that part.... would $750 stop you? Its only $250 more than what he should hope to be paying for a German MG08 version. I lots a bid on a MG08 version for $565 and would have kept bidding but I figured out I was bidding against a friend. For all the parts I have... thats one of the hardest to find in good shape. Its a much overlooked part!
No it probably wouldn't stop me from bidding that much IMBLITZVT.
Proof is that you don't want to know what I paid for my Browning mount for my Ferret, or the original G43 butt plate I needed, or the..........
Well you get the idea. :eek::eek::eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
>The Finnish one use for the 1910s can not be used in place of the MG08 of Chinese version.<

Yes, they will fit the 08, but they just don't have the traverse bar retaining lug on the face of the lower jaw which the MG08 clamps have. I have added the lug to several Finn clamps for use on the sleds…….
The prices you guys are quoting are lazy man auction prices. I bought two Finn clamps, one brass the other steel last fall for $75 apiece. Most people don't know what they are and price accordingly.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems I get an invaluable education every day ! I was interested in the clamps 'cause they were blued, the one on my tripod was in the white - I am having an adapter for the 08 to fit the rear clamp made.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I list things here now and then, and have given away some real bargains. Figured Id try to maximize some of my stuff, also didnt realize you were the high bidder. A few of those parts may have come from you in the first place. There are still lots of things Im going to let go, including more Maxim parts etc. I also find when I list here, I seem to get quite a few low ball offers. Everyone likes a bargain, but sometimes I really would prefer to come out ahead.
Haha, na I get it. I do the same and don't blame you one bit! Yeah and frankly if I do buy this kit it will be for resale. However I will help drive up the price for you. :)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
>The Finnish one use for the 1910s can not be used in place of the MG08 of Chinese version.<

Yes, they will fit the 08, but they just don't have the traverse bar retaining lug on the face of the lower jaw which the MG08 clamps have. I have added the lug to several Finn clamps for use on the sleds…….
The prices you guys are quoting are lazy man auction prices. I bought two Finn clamps, one brass the other steel last fall for $75 apiece. Most people don't know what they are and price accordingly.
The lugs on a 1910 are wider than on a MG08. So a Finnish clamp, without modification, will not fit onto a MG08 Bottom plate. The MG08 will fit on a 1910 but it will be loose and what is the point if its loose. I know the lug you are talking about and thats minor enough I don't count that as a real issue.

Haha... yes going rate is lazy man price. If you want to hunt and wait... sure you can almost always find a better deal than going rate! However if you have a $15k+ MG sitting and you can't shoot it well... going rate is what you pay. I am sure that when you are missing parts you just pick another MG out of your awesome collection and shoot it. However for most of us, we can't afford to sideline a MG for a long period of time searching for that good price on a part or two. I will buy as many Traverse clamps of any nation at $75 as I can get! Hell, I will pay double non-lazy man price and buy them both from you at $150 each. However I bet you are not selling... :)

Na, its like anything else. You want the part now and in good condition, you are going to have to pay for it. If you can afford to wait, you can find deals. Sometimes I wait out the deals. Other times, I pay better than going rate to get a part.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was watching this traverse lock, and thought $200 starting price was high. Jeez - I bought the entire MG11 Tripod for $1100 from the RIA auction..... but $770 for the lock ?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=548513245
Those traverse clamps / locks were mine. I started the auctions with what I thought was a fair price. I don't like reserve auctions myself, so I always start my auctions with a price close to what I "think" the item will sell for. Was I surprised at the hammer price for those clamps? Yes and no. I sold a MG08 clamp a few years ago and IIRC, it fetched close to $600....so I knew there was potential above my starting price.

And, like others have said....if you need the part, you need the part.....you have to jump when the opportunity presents itself cause you never know when or even if the opportunity will ever present itself again. In both cases, there was more than one person who strongly wanted each and the price went up accordingly.

BTW.....the 1909 traverse clamp/lock fits the MG08 on MG11 (Swiss) tripod perfectly. I don't have a sled....my MG08 sits on a Swiss tripod and it has a 1909 clamp.

Matt is also correct in that the Finn traverse clamp/lock will not fit the MG08 without a major alteration......too wide. Conversely, a 1909 or Sled clamp is too narrow and would move around if used on a Russian/Finn gun unless bushings or some such were used.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
In both cases, there was more than one person who strongly wanted each and the price went up accordingly.
When your selling you gotta love when that happens. When your buying you can always complain.
Like IMBLITZVT said, when you need it you buy it regardless.
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Too many times I've passed on buying something rare thinking I'll get it cheaper later and most of the time another listing never occurs. Especially looking for Jap 99 LMG and French Chatellerault M24/1929 parts.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Well maybe without Bob N. or Matt H. at the show I can find a "reasonably priced" traverse lock for my sled mount.
:lol:
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Well maybe without Bob N. or Matt H. at the show I can find a "reasonably priced" traverse lock for my sled mount.
:lol:
CaptMax
Haha... I know what you mean... without a CaptMax I might have found a nice deal on a Sled and a 1909 MG08 parts kit!!! :)

And no, someone will always buy up under priced items... and toss them in their parts bin to sit until they die! At least you still have access to mine. :)

You know when I started selling some of my extra Maxim parts I would get some complaints that I charged to much. I found it very interesting that some of those same people I later saw selling Maxim parts at prices above mine. Somehow those that complain about high prices are never willing to sell at that lower rate they think they should be paying. I figure it this way. I am one of the younger guys in the sport and many of the people I sell parts to are twice and more my age. I do not complain they bought the MGs for sometimes less than 1/10th of what I had to pay. I do not expect them to not take advantage of this "windfall" profit caused by a ban instituted when I was 4 years old, giving them a monopoly on this product. So I tell you what, the first guy who sells me a Maxim for a few hundred bucks like they paid back in the day will get the non-lazy man prices on Maxim parts from me. Until then... :cool:

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Haha... I know what you mean... without a CaptMax I might have found a nice deal on a Sled and a 1909 MG08 parts kit!!! :)

And no, someone will always buy up under priced items... and toss them in their parts bin to sit until they die! At least you still have access to mine. :)

You know when I started selling some of my extra Maxim parts I would get some complaints that I charged to much. I found it very interesting that some of those same people I later saw selling Maxim parts at prices above mine. Somehow those that complain about high prices are never willing to sell at that lower rate they think they should be paying. I figure it this way. I am one of the younger guys in the sport and many of the people I sell parts to are twice and more my age. I do not complain they bought the MGs for sometimes less than 1/10th of what I had to pay. I do not expect them to not take advantage of this "windfall" profit caused by a ban instituted when I was 4 years old, giving them a monopoly on this product. So I tell you what, the first guy who sells me a Maxim for a few hundred bucks like they paid back in the day will get the non-lazy man prices on Maxim parts from me. Until then... :cool:
Lol I know what you mean Matt, at least your young enough you can hang on to parts longer than most of us older guys ever will.
Remind me sometime to tell you what I paid for my MP44, I sure wish those deals came around more often.
Sometimes we get lucky, and other times we pay more than we think we should. Or as a friend once told me, "You didn't pay too much, you just bought it too soon". :rofl:
By the way, I don't think your prices are out of line. Some of this stuff just isn't out there like it used to be and if you wanna play you gotta pay. :D
CaptMax

1 - 20 of 23 Posts