1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a blaster grade Yugo K98 a few weeks ago and finally took it out today. (Yugo K98, not M48) I brought some Romanian steel case and some brass Yugoslavian 1982 NNY ammo.

The Yugo stuff chambered and closed no issues. Upon firing, the bolt handle was STIFF to open and IMPOSSIBLE to retract. I had to beat the bolt against the table to open it.

The Romanian stuff fired fine, had 3 or 4 that were just a little tight to open and the bolt pulled back fine.

The Yugo cases look fine, no blown out primers, crack, bulging or any other signs of distress.

Im wondering if I have chamber issues, a badly corroded throat or something else amiss with the gun. I know Yugo ammo has been rumored as being 'hot', the fact that the steel cases were a little difficult to open really make me think its the gun and not the ammo. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I bought a blaster grade Yugo K98 a few weeks ago and finally took it out today. (Yugo K98, not M48) I brought some Romanian steel case and some brass Yugoslavian 1982 NNY ammo.

The Yugo stuff chambered and closed no issues. Upon firing, the bolt handle was STIFF to open and IMPOSSIBLE to retract. I had to beat the bolt against the table to open it.

The Romanian stuff fired fine, had 3 or 4 that were just a little tight to open and the bolt pulled back fine.

The Yugo cases look fine, no blown out primers, crack, bulging or any other signs of distress.

Im wondering if I have chamber issues, a badly corroded throat or something else amiss with the gun. I know Yugo ammo has been rumored as being 'hot', the fact that the steel cases were a little difficult to open really make me think its the gun and not the ammo. Suggestions?
:thinker: My guess would be that ammo is too hot for a bolt Gun, that being said I would first Check the head space, if that checks out OK I would try some store bought ammo not surplus. Just my 2cents. Good luck

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
The neck on the Romanian may be a bit long and is hanging in the chamber ,i have run across this with Moisin Nagant 91/30`s Chezk ammo no problem Ukrainian ammo i had to beat the bolt to raise it and then extract it ,both were steel cased . Brass case has more "rebound" (size recovery) than steel case does .

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The neck on the Romanian may be a bit long and is hanging in the chamber ,i have run across this with Moisin Nagant 91/30`s Chezk ammo no problem Ukrainian ammo i had to beat the bolt to raise it and then extract it ,both were steel cased . Brass case has more "rebound" (size recovery) than steel case does .
Would a measured case neck after firing tell me anything? I mic'd a Yugo case and the OD was 9.18 MM, OAL was 56.65.....but an unfired case is 56.75?? I thought brass was supposed to lengthen a bit when its fired, not SHRINK???
Im just spitballing here.

I AM happy to add that its NOT headspace. I just checked it. I was a little worried there.....

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've run into that with guns in the past, it's always been the chamber is rough or there is a ring or bulged formed somewhere in there. If you have a Dremel tool with flexible shafts affix a small brass wire brush with a liquid polishing compound applied to.the chamber. Spin at it highest speed with bolt removed and the brush will spin out to the chamber walls. Keep it moving back and forth and it will polish the walls.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've run into that with guns in the past, it's always been the chamber is rough or there is a ring or bulged formed somewhere in there. If you have a Dremel tool with flexible shafts affix a small brass wire brush with a liquid polishing compound applied to.the chamber. Spin at it highest speed with bolt removed and the brush will spin out to the chamber walls. Keep it moving back and forth and it will polish the walls.
That would make sense, as the barrel is fairly pitted. What kind of polishing compound?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Glass cook top compound or flitz for final polish. They also.have varying degrees of polish available from autoparts stores or online.to use first.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Agreed......I've also run across this problem in the past. Polishing the chamber will make a world of difference.

Matt

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I normally take a fired case from the rifle and attach it to a old cleaning by threading or brazing and use valve polishing compound to work the rough chamber. It provide a nice clean, uniform chamber. Just don't over do it.

Cheers

--fjruple

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
ScottD ASKS: "Would a measured case neck after firing tell me anything?..."

Maybe, but I'd think shoulder expansion would be the more likely cause.

If you have a rough chamber spinning a ss brush might take off any buildup of carbon in there, rust, etc. Polishing would be the next step, (toothpaste if you don't have any 'polishing compound).

Carry On!
Gary
><>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts