1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gents, I've taken on a project, and it's tidying up and repainting (and fixing as necessary) a pintle mount for my Browning.

This came to me for a very good price:

20141117_152451_resized.jpg

And when I got it home tonight, I took out a can of penetrating oil, intending to just 'wet it down and soak it' before coming back in a day or two to do the tear-down.

So, 2 hours later, here's what it looks like:

20150615_221637_resized.jpg
20150615_221646_resized.jpg

So, my questions are, realizing that it's sized for a .50, what must I do to fit a .30 to it?

And second, does anyone know if the ammo can bracket is permanently attached, or if it's able to be removed. I *THINK* it can be removed, but it's in pretty tight. It's now soaking, and we'll see if I can move it tomorrow.

NS

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
I am a little disappointed after opening this thread I had all kinds of stuff running through my mind after reading the thread title lol nice score anyways.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Heh, I went down this road a few years back, you're better off selling it and buying a 30 cradle. That was my conclusion. A few years after that I bought a 50 :rolleyes:

You can rig up and adapter, but there is a reason nobody does. It ends up being ears on a fish.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so looking at BMGParts, here's a bit of what I can see.

This is what I have:

It's in need of a good sandblasting and repaint, but the parts in OK shape.

In order to use a .30 on this mount, I'll need an adapter...correct? I'm thinking this is what I need:

For info, this is the only mount I am likely to be able to track down locally...it's been a LONG time since there have been any .30 mounts used in this neck of the woods, so the best option, I think, is for me to grab the adapter.

I was able to remove the .50 cal feed tray from the side this evening (oil and a 2 pound hammer) so I can now fit everything into the sand blast cabinet I have. Life is good.

Now I just have to clean the garage enough to be able to REACH the sand-blast cabinet. And compressor.

NS

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
That adapter is the flipper for the 30/50 cradle. Different cradle. It might work, but I thing your spent brass will cause jamming issues putting a 1919 on a M23 cradle. Plus, the spring will be too strong.

Sorry to be a party pooper, maybe someone else will come along with better news, I'm certainly not the end all-be all of info.

Ok, so looking at BMGParts, here's a bit of what I can see.

This is what I have:

It's in need of a good sandblasting and repaint, but the parts in OK shape.

In order to use a .30 on this mount, I'll need an adapter...correct? I'm thinking this is what I need:

For info, this is the only mount I am likely to be able to track down locally...it's been a LONG time since there have been any .30 mounts used in this neck of the woods, so the best option, I think, is for me to grab the adapter.

I was able to remove the .50 cal feed tray from the side this evening (oil and a 2 pound hammer) so I can now fit everything into the sand blast cabinet I have. Life is good.

Now I just have to clean the garage enough to be able to REACH the sand-blast cabinet. And compressor.

NS

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Nope. that is the "flipper" for the 30/50 combo mount which you do not have. You have a tank mount. Buy a tank. Or sell your mount and buy a .30 mount. Not trying to be a dick, Just honest. j Or buy a M2 and put it on your M48.......with this mount.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So,

I got a flipper for exactly the right price....free....came with a spare yoke too!

Um, unfortunately, the market up here in Canada is somewhat smaller than in the US, so the likelyhood of another mount happening to fall into my lap is, well, relatively small. (read as miniscule) Oh, and the number of semi-auto M-2's in Canada can probably be counted on your fingers and toes, and unless I win the lottery, there's no way I'll own one.

So, hate me if you will, but I'm going to make this one work for what I have.

I'll post more as I go along....looks like I'll need to get the mill up and running to get the flipper to fit properly.

NS

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
No hate here! Just passing on some past. I have no Idea if the 30/50 cradle "flipper" will work or not but I bet you will figure it out. The mount that fits has two sets of holes to mount it. Good luck and post pics!. J

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ditto, no hate, more along the line of "didn't work for me, but give it a try if you want to". Don't forget to check for clearance for ejecting the spent brass. Once that lightbulb lit, I gave it up as a bad job. Somehow I ended up with a 1917a1 cradle, which is what I really wanted anyway.:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, my issue is the limited potential mounts that are available....alas.

Will advise as I get into the shop over the weekend.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,

Finally hauled the gun out to the garage to test fit and make sure I'm not wasting my time, and it turns out that it's going to take some work to make this fit.

20150619_200055_resized.jpg

Observe above, you can see that when sitting in the cradle, the cocking handle is quite clearly obstructed by the pivot point on the mount. So, the gun would have to be raised, probably 2" in the mount to make this work. Additionally, I tried the 'flipper' and there's no way it'll fit properly. Good thing all this stuff was basically free/scrap, eh?

20150619_200216_resized.jpg

And here is the problem you mentioned above where the ejection port is obstructed. Yeah. That ain't gonna work so good.

So, I'm still going to clean this up, (it's all apart now, might as well finish the job!) I'll sand-blast, and get it all tidied up to see what I might be able to trade it for, or if possibly a front adapter block could be built (once the milling machine is put together and setup) and then the flipper used....but I'll have to look a bit harder at that option.

Well, head scratching and thinking ahead for me.

NS

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well the good thing was that it was free, it wont cost anything to let it sit there until you can find something to trade it for. I bet with a little mill work you could build something that could work.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Maybe an adapter that fits the mount on the bottom. And mounts the 1919on top so the bolt handle clears. Just trying to think out of the box.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I happened to find an additional piece hanging around....so I came home with a spare yoke....different model, so I might just be able to fit a 9/16" pin (or long bolt) straight through the yoke, and the mounting hole on the gun, and use it that way. Have to gin up some bits, but my garage remodel has taken priority for the moment...I have the time, so I'm finally getting the shop together. After 2 years in the house, I'm finally posted off the ship, into a shore establishment, and have some time for ME. It's a nice change! So far, I've got just over half of the garage insulated and boarded up with 1/2" OSB, I have the electrical almost done, I just need to run a new line from the house so I can use 220V instead of just 115V. (Need it for the mill!)

I'm into the garage for just over $1100 so far, ($300 in OSB alone!) but by the time I'm done, the walls will be closed up, insulated, and I'll have my work-shop. I'm pondering moving from wall-work and insulation over to some shelving that I've been planning (had to get the insulation, vapour barrier, and wall boards up before I can hang the shelves!) which will get my supply of Christmas lights off the floor, and out of my way!

The tripod project is sidelined until this is done:

Brad's Garage Project
Overall Progress 31%
Electrical 64%
Insulation 48%
Wall 44%
Stairs 0%
Tool Setup 28%
Storage Shelves 0%

Here's the tool setup list:

Mill 50%
Lathe 0%