1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drill bit sets:

A nasty thing happened when I got my BB rivet set: I discovered the top cover rivets in that set were #7 wire gage (.2010), not 3/16. My rivet set was 3/16, and that's all I ever heard on the forum; so that's what I put in the sets.

With all the BB rivet sets out there, do you guys want a #7 as an option in the drill bit set?

Note for the NVA build party: Get some #7 bits. If you can't find them on short notice, a 5mm will work in a pinch.

Rivets:

I get a lot of requists for rivets. Now that no one else on the board is offering them, I'm looking into adding them to my line. I looked into just buying prepackaged sets and reselling them, but I can package and sell a high quality set for less than it would cost me to buy them wholesale. Individual rivets are cheap, the problem is they have to be bought by the thousand. Custom rivets often have to be bought by the tens of thousands. If I'm going to buy that many rivets, I might as well get exactly what you want.

I have gathered a few things from the forum: you want 60 degree rivets. Not a problem, I found a good source. But I've also seen threads complaining some rivets in the sets (11/32 trunion, front top cover) were too short. I can buy them a little longer; it's a whole lot easier to grind off excess than it is to make a rivet longer. I'm also inclined to get trunion and top cover rivets with larger heads. That will satisfy people who want more, while allowing purests to grind them off. speaking of top cover rivets, do you want 3/16 in. or #7 wire gage, or both? Do you want a round head or a countersunk rivet for the front of the top cover, or both?

I want your input, tell me what you want in a set of rivets.

MSG

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I got a set of BB rivets and found that the front top cover rivet is a bit short. Only protrudes about a 1/16 inch. IMO I'd go for slightly longer rivets all the way around. If for no other reason than to ensure there's enough meat there to work with.

·
Registered
201 Posts
MSG,Can you supply # ,fractional,and letter bits???My index is getting low,especially after the build party.gunut

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I'm supplying at this time is 1919 sets. But I feel your pain, a lot of this stuff is only available by the dozen.

RetVet: that's what I'd heard, any one else had similar experiences?

MSG

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gunut said:
MSG,Can you supply # ,fractional,and letter bits???My index is getting low,especially after the build party.gunut
gunut...

Just realised something. You probably burned up some #7's at the build party, drilling top plate rivet holes for the BB sets. I will be adding those to the packages real soon. I only recently discovered they were needed (when I got a BB set).

MSG

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would recommend a .201" rivet for the top cover, especially for the long one. The 3/16" rivets won't expand to fill the hole, they buckle and form a "Z" in the hole through the top cover. I don't think they would stay tight. (although it might not really matter on a semi.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts