1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our suet woodpecker feeders are plagued by 'possums. Really, what good are 'possums? If you wanna eat em, send me the postage for a passel of giantly fat and pregnant 'possums; otherwise, what's a good way to get rid of em? I've got a lifetime trapper permit -- is that the only, and best, way to get rid of em if you got neighbors resistant to gunfire?

Thanks, and Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Possums are good for scaring the crap out of your wife when they hiss at the dogs from the top of the fence. I laugh every time. The dogs like to slobber the little ones and bring them to the door like a prize. Otherwise not very useful. J

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I took up trapping this year. I ran about 25 sets. I never knew how many of those critters there were around here until I started trapping. I quit counting how many I caught. My 7 year old daughter, and 9 year old son would ride with me most mornings before school to check traps. They would try and guess how may possums we'd catch each day. I know that they are out just trying to make a living, just like everything else, but man will they destroy a trap set in a minute! The only good thing about it is, there are a LOT fewer for me to catch next year!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Granny Clampett makes really good stew with them and Elly Mae looks pretty hot with one on her shoulder.
That's all I know about them.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Make a good pet

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
But don't forget, them "possum innerds" are always better the second day.

We were glad to have a "possum on a half shell" a couple days into survival training. The prickly tubers and wild blue berries only go so far.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I trap and shoot them and then feed them to the bald eagles by my pond, have 2 eagles that show up regularly now. Great bird to watch

118 Posts
I've got a lifetime trapper permit -- is that the only, and best, way to get rid of em if you got neighbors resistant to gunfire?
><>
Try a can? Heck, a well aimed CB will probably do one in.

Shoot it with an arrow. It would be funny if it survived and ran around your neighbor's property with an arrow hanging out of it. Maybe it will get stuck climbing halfway up their fence LOL.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Down red headed stepchild, down. Remember traumatizing neighbors bad.

Seriously though stepchild is right a CB round does a real nice job. The impact of the bullet into something hard will sound like a board being wacked up against something but they will not hear the rifle and if you hit the possum the noise level of that will be nominal

·
Registered
283 Posts
I also vote for the CB load. Sounds more like a pellet gun than a rifle.

118 Posts
Down red headed stepchild, down. Remember traumatizing neighbors bad.

Seriously though stepchild is right a CB round does a real nice job. The impact of the bullet into something hard will sound like a board being wacked up against something but they will not hear the rifle and if you hit the possum the noise level of that will be nominal

Nobody likes the Red Headed Stepchild until the enemy is at the gates. Ah, shucks. Just please don't beat me.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I am liking that recipe page, any meal I have to drink 3 shots before making, sounds like beginning of a good grilling....and by the time i get around to eating it I wont particularly care what it tastes like.

I honestly would recommend the skewers but to take the meat and marinade in the fridge for 24 hrs in Italian seasoning salad dressing mix first. If that can make lamb tasty (that normally tastes like rancid festering meat) then possum

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CaptMax SEZ: "....Here are some recipes: http://www.tngenweb.org/tntable/possum.htm."

"Disclaimer: The author of this page cannot be held responsible for any injuries, indigestion, vomiting, mild intestinal disorders, alienated friends and relatives, or P.O.'d animal rights groups resulting from the use of these recipes. Especially #'s 8 & 9, which are served raw! (Possum Tartare [sic] &Cajun Possum Chili)." Granny and the Clan must have stronger guts that I have!

All the BB caps and CB caps I've found, except the Flobert-Spitzkugein 6mm from Dynamit Nobel, have too much powder in them, and hence too much noise in case some neighbor were standing inside, at the back door. The Floberts have NO powder and are the most quiet, but have the most distinctive bullet; rather than being round-nosed, it's pointed and quite obviously different than one would normally find in a dead animal. Finding that in a dead 'possum and also in one's possession would likely be 'probable cause.'

The packaging on CCI's CB caps in .22 Long, 29 grain, lead round nose, indicates 710 FPS, 32 foot-pounds, "sub-sonic, low noise" and the
CCI "Quiet-22" in .22 LR with a 40 grain lead round nose also indicates 710 FPS at 45 foot-pounds.
I can't tell about the 6mm's ballistics, but found a reference that states: "TRW's CB & BB - Both are supposed to be 17 gr @ 750 fps; stands to reason as they are much louder. But this is right at standard .22 airgun performance, with more noise, so.... Super Colibri is supposed to be 20 grains @ 500 fps, whereas the regular Colibri was/is 20 gr @ 375 fps

Anyone know of any BB caps or CB caps without powder? Thanks, and

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All RIGHT! Thanks, TiredIron.

"Aguila packages these as Long Rifle ammunition, but they are in fact slightly shorter than a 22 Long cartridge. Muzzle Velocity: 500 fps, Velocity Rating: Subsonic, Muzzle Energy: 11 ft. lbs."

ELEVEN whole foot pounds!!! I wonder whether that'll penetrate an animal's hide?

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
They warn about shooting them in a rifle but I can attest that I have never had a round fail to exit the old Winchester 67 we use. I'm sure the barrel is worn and it might make a difference if shot out of a new rifle with sharp rifling. We have dispatched dozens and dozens of squirrels....quietly in the middle of a neighborhood without attracting any attention. My son is the contract hunter and has sharpened his skills with precision head shots. Occasionally he has to make a second shot. I don't know how tough the hide is on a nasty possum for penetration....but its perfect on squirrels.
Good hunting.

Tirediron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts