1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so he's some food for thought. What IF the BATFE started to let FA's be registered again? Wouldn't that be great! Prices on all FA stuff would surely drop. Yes? But what about all the people that spent $20k on a thompson? I'd think he'd be pretty pissed off. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to be able to get a FA at a reasonable price since I can't afford one now. I somehow think that this whole money issue is part of why BATFE won't allow new registration to happen. Kinda like the oil companies and car manufacturers.

Things that make ya go hmmmmmm......:cool:

·
Registered
670 Posts
I like to think that all C3 owners, folks who spend huge amounts of money on firearms, would be/are supporters of anything that would increase our firearms freedoms, and expand the sport into the hands of more Americans.

Thats a load of sh!t of course:D

While I am sure most are, there are as you mentioned the guys with a million dollars worth of FA fun that would see their retirement investment fall faster than Bill Clintons pants at a girl scouts of America convention.

Imagine seeing your $3000 MAC-10 drop to $300. Your $15000+ 1919 drop to under a grand, hell even your $1100 semi-1919 would have to drop in price, FA ones are cheaper and easier to make.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,152 Posts
If this were to happen, you can bet that a WHOLE LOT of semi 1919s, etc, would suddenly be getting converted and registered! Hmm... maybe the other way around. :D

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
I own some of these expen$ive MG's and i would luv to see the prices of mine plummet. I would be broke buyin all kinds of new MG's. Its not about the money to me, i would rather my kids be able to own and play with these kinds of toys when they are legal age without it having to be a 50+ yr old gun and costing $100,000. That and the difference between me having several MG's as to a **** load is enough for me to happily take a loss! Im sure theres those out there that would be unhappy but it will never happened im sure (fingers crossed)

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I would be as Happy as can be and would register like no tommorow

I would not care a bit to lose the money I have spent on my machineguns if new registration were to come again. I would be to busy registering everything under the sun and then some, to worry about losing the money. If new registration was opened up I would register and converte every semi-auto that I own.

I would also get my FFL with Class II Sot and would manufacture and register everything I could and would work around the clock making and registering new machineguns. I would make as many simple machineguns as possible first i.e. DIAS, Ak DIAS, etc. then I would move on to bigger projects such as M2HB .50's, 1919a4's etc.. AT the same time I would also buy as many newly transferrable M249's, M240's, M60E4's etc. that I could afford. To fund all of this I would take a 2nd, 3rd, 4th job, sell blood, sell un-needed organs, or whatever else it would take to legally fund my enterprise. I would rejoice over the ability to own new NFA.

As far as the dealers I would think it would be rather shortsighted of them to be upset over the loss in value of their transferrables as the truly rare and colletible guns such as 1920 Colt Thompsons are never going to be made again and will most likely hold their value. In addition the dealers would be able to make up for any lost value of their current stock through the volume of new sales that they would have if the prices came down and new registration was available.

Think about how many people would lay down $6-$10k for a transferrable M249 SAW, or a M240G, B, or D. If I could afford it I would pay $40k for a pre-sample M249 SAW yet alone $10-15k or even $20k for a new transferrable one. How many $1k-$2k Ak's or M16's could you sell? How many $5k RPD's or $8k PKM's could you sell? I myself would buy an AK, another M16, another 1919a4, PKM, M249 SAW, M240G etc. if the prices were more reasonable.

If the ban on new machineguns were lifted the only guns that would go down in value are those guns that only command the high price because of the piece of paper they are registered on.

But as one poster noted we get resistance from both inside the NFA world (Investors) and outside (ignorant title I owners) and (anti-gun advocates).

I don't know how many times I have read posts from Machinegun owners crying about how the sky will fall if new registration was opened up or crying about the loss in value of their precious investments. I myself have argued until I was blue in the face with some of the investor crowd about why our rights are more important than money. But for some when it comes between the choice of money or freedom they would rather choose money.

Keep Your Powder Dry,

SolothurnAT

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
It's nice to drem isn't it? If that were to happen there wouldn't be any left wing Liberals. Now I am starting to fantasize. lol

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hey guys it ain't the BATF. Remember it was Congress back in 1986 that stopped the legal new full autos. Since the 1968 law you couldn't import FA even dewats. But people were importing gun kits and/or making legal machineguns. Everything was legal and above board but that was too much for our lawmakers. Since then no congress has even considered repealing this law that I know of, not even the "gun friendly Republicans".

·
Registered
749 Posts
This kind of reminds of when the crime bill when the crimebill sunset. Why do you think im in business now!!

I hope to god that they someday allow new registration of MG's, I would care less about the value of my current MG's (about $40K), I would be just like SolothurnAT working till blue in the face to try to build and produce a Warehouse full of registered MGs! :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
Oh man in this day and age when the republicans are swayed by democrat pressure, there is no way a new amnesty period could happen. Even if it was proposed, the media, liberals etc... would be in an uproar and the republicans would waver and that would be it. sad thing oh how I wish that our "republican congress" had stronger resolve

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi everyone,

My first post! Just my two cents, but I think that it will never happen. People do not care about FREEDOM'S anymore, it is about money. Money issues started this country, and it will be it's downfall!

I love this great nation and everyday our freedom's go away little by little. Can you say "I know what is best for YOU". I know it has been said before, but freedom IS not free!

It is a nice thought and we do have something to go on, 94 crime bill! Remember that a lot of people said that if it went away, crimes using those weapons banned would increase! The only increase that we have seen is the amount of people buying AR's no more crime.

I did hear rumbling about letting a grace period for those who have unregistered FA's brought back from the war be allowed to register.

Now would that not be greatl, I hope my grandfather keep his thompson or 1919 :)

·
Watercooled Addict
2,092 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think all we could hope for is an amnesty for war trophies. I think that is wishful thinking. I seriously doubt that the doors will ever be open again for newly mfg registrations.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Armorer said:
Since then no congress has even considered repealing this law that I know of, not even the "gun friendly Republicans".
I really really don't believe that you would want the FIREARM'S OWNERS PROTECTION ACT repealed.......while it is is true, there part of that bill did stop civilians from owning MG that weren't register prior to 86, that law also has a lot of other things in it we all take for granted, that did more for gun owners then any other bill...........take the time and read the entire bill and what it has in it, it basically amended the GCA of 68 for the benifit of all gunowners.

here is just a small tidbits of what that FOPA has in it:

Allowed Federal Firearms License holders to sell guns at gun shows located in their home state. before that FFLs can show you the gun, but you had to purchase it at their shop.

It amended the GCA to define "engaged in the business" to specifically exclude persons who make "occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sell all or part of his personal collection of firearms." 18 U.S.C. ? 922 (a)(21)(C). Thus, the Act also increased the opportunities for unlicensed persons to buy and sell firearms at gun shows and elsewhere. (this is the so called "gunshow loophole" that the antis all got their frilly panties in a bunch about) if you ever bought or sold a firearm in a private sale, thank that bill.

enabled you as a citizen to drive through states, local jurisdiction, with a firearm that otherwise would be illegal, and if stopped you can't be prosecuted. as long as the firearm you are carrying is legal in your state, and your end travel is to a state that it also legal, then they can not arrest you if you get stopped in a state, or local jurisdiction that doesn't allow it. Now how many folks do you think would be able to go to shoots like BULLETFEST, Knob Creek, or any shooting gathering if they had to plan their trip and research every small town, county and city from where they are to where they are going. To make sure they will not be going through jurisdictions that consider the weapon illegal and subject to arrest if they just happen to be pulled over?

It established a relief from disability to get your 2nd admnt restored. before that, once you lost your rights, there was no recourse to get it back, other then a presidental pardon

It enabled you to buy ammo, reloading supplies, etc.. from another state or within the same state and have it shipped right to your front door. Before that you could only buy ammo, reloading supples from your local FFL and he had to keep a record for the ATF on the purchase.

And there a lot more good things in that bill, so take the time to read the entire FOPA bill before you go and saying about repealing that bill...... it will be a lot more worse if that bill does go.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I really don't believe that you would want the FIREARMS OWNERS PROTECTION ACT repeale

You are right SLOWFIRE, just the part we don't like, which was probably an add on as a compromise. Of course every bill is made up of many components. Either way it is not likely it will ever happen as TRUTU says the liberal meida would be in an uproar. Hell most Americans already think that all machineguns are illegal anyway. It is pretty hard to convince the public in general that we should make more legal machineguns avaiable even if they are controlled and history has shown they are not a danger to the public. I don't even think the NRA has a position on the subject and there are no other major organizations working on changing this law. In view of the media frenzy we were lucky just to get rid of the assault weapons and large magazine ban and that was only because it had a ten year drop dead provision.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Few things wrong with your assessment of FOPA

Not trying to stir dissent or cause problems but there are a few things wrong with your assessment of FOPA's actual impact Slowfire.

Just as a FYI the specific section of FOPA that banned the registration of new machineguns for American citizens was section 922(0) otherwise known as the Hughes amendment. You are correct in that repealing FOPA in its entirety would not be beneficial. What we need to do is find a sympathetic congressman or senator in a position in which a sneek amendment can be tacked onto a must pass bill which will repeal section 922(0) the Hughes Amendment to the Mclure-Volkmer Act (FOPA).

You said,

"enabled you as a citizen to drive through states, local jurisdiction, with a firearm that otherwise would be illegal, and if stopped you can't be prosecuted. as long as the firearm you are carrying is legal in your state, and your end travel is to a state that it also legal, then they can not arrest you if you get stopped in a state, or local jurisdiction that doesn't allow it. Now how many folks do you think would be able to go to shoots like BULLETFEST, Knob Creek, or any shooting gathering if they had to plan their trip and research every small town, county and city from where they are to where they are going. To make sure they will not be going through jurisdictions that consider the weapon illegal and subject to arrest if they just happen to be pulled over?"

Try claiming your FOPA rights to un-restricted travel in Kommifornia, New Jersey, New York, Massa two shits, or any of hte other liberal strongholds and you will find yourself arrested, and your guns confiscated while you wait for trial. These states do not recognize FOPA and will arrest any and all citizens regardless of federal law and require that you the citizen fight it out in court with a lenghty, financially draining, court battle to regain your rights and not be prosecuted. Even after spending the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to win your case; you may find that while you were fighting the case your guns were destroyed.

:mad: A federal law only carries weight when it is enforced. So far the US govt. has not forced any of the above states to comply with the federal law set down by FOPA. Generally when a state refuses to recognize federal law they are punished through sanctions in the form of the federal govt. witholding federal highway dollars, etc. This has not been the case with FOPA. The federal govt. has basically turned a blind eye to any and all states that violate FOPA and the protections afforded to American gunowners under FOPA. There have been many cases where American gunowners have been arrested in one of these states and have had to go through a lengthy and expensive court battle to regain their freedom and firearms.

You said,

"It established a relief from disability to get your 2nd admnt restored. before that, once you lost your rights, there was no recourse to get it back, other then a presidental pardon."

This is true that this is codified into law in FOPA but every year since FOPA was passed Congress has witheld money from ATF and specifically forbid them from using any of their funding to establish any form of relief from disability concerning 2nd amendment rights. This provision of FOPA does little good if ATF has no money to conduct disability relief and since they are specifically forbidden from using regular ATF budgetary funding for disability relief; this part of FOPA is essential rendered null and void.

I agree that overall FOPA was a good start; but we still need to get rid of the poisonous Hughes amendment that was attached to FOPA (section 922(0). This could happen if we had a sympathetic congressman or senator and if the gun community would push for an amendment to a must pass piece of legislation such as the annual DOD funding bill or Annual Federal Budget. It would be very easy to tack on a bill repealing 922(0) if it was tacked onto one of the budget bills as the bills are must pass and generally are so long that very few actually bother to read the bill. Hence an amendment tacked on would most likely not be discovered once it was attached.

Keep Your Powder Dry,

SolothurnAT

Keep Your Powder Dry,

SolothurnAT

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Yep! There's no reason the sneaky stuff they (the Brady Bunch, etc.) use against the second amendment can't backfire on THEM!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts