1919 A4 Forums banner

What is the Military 1918 BAR vs 1918 Commercial BAR?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ejc78 
#1 ·
What is the difference between the 1918 military and “commercial” BARs? I can’t find any information on them.
Thanks

#2 ·
#5 ·
Is there a commercial version of the colt/ marlin/ Winchester 1918 BARs?
I already know about the monitor. I just wanted to know if there was a commercial variation of the 1918 BMR, or were the possibly released to the public after they were produced for the military?

#6 ·
Civilian BAR's were common in the LE and civilian market.... until the 1935 Gun Control Act...which made folks register them and pay a $200.00 tax. The early 1918 BAR was both semi and full auto. The later model (1918a2...?) was slow fire,about 350-RPM and fast,about 500-RPM...both of which were full auto. Getting single shots off was difficult...but not impossible with some practice.
Ohio Ordinance Works (OOW) has been making a SA BAR since about 1989(?) and I had a chance to buy one of the first run production guns...ser# 007 (?) for $1,600.00 from the owner of OOW,Bob Landies. I could not afford it then...and been regretting it ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.