1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definitely not mine — seems to be a very deceiving or, at the least, an incorrect ad. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=483085984.

"This Impressive Piece of History is constructed of REAL Vickers Parts, as far as I can see, only the Right Hand Sideplate is aftermarket. What an impressive piece for your Den or office it will be. This is NOT one of the fakes that IMA has for sale. Shipping in the lower 48 States is $200.00 (This Thing is HEAVY). In Store Pick-Ups during regular business hours are fine.

If this item is C&R eligible we will ship it to your C&R License. All other firearms must be shipped to a licensed FFL holder. The signed copy of your Dealer's FFL may be mailed, emailed, or faxed to us."

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Definitely not mine — seems to be a very deceiving or, at the least, an incorrect ad. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=483085984.

"This Impressive Piece of History is constructed of REAL Vickers Parts, as far as I can see, only the Right Hand Sideplate is aftermarket. What an impressive piece for your Den or office it will be. This is NOT one of the fakes that IMA has for sale. Shipping in the lower 48 States is $200.00 (This Thing is HEAVY). In Store Pick-Ups during regular business hours are fine.

If this item is C&R eligible we will ship it to your C&R License. All other firearms must be shipped to a licensed FFL holder. The signed copy of your Dealer's FFL may be mailed, emailed, or faxed to us."
When the auction first came out about a month ago I very nicely messaged the seller that his auction title and description were inaccurate, it was probably a .303 British or Australian Vicker and not a US M1915 Vickers, he refused to respond or change it. Thought I was doing him a favor.

·
Premium Member
6,037 Posts
Tony is a member here (although I have never seen him post other than to sell blanks) so I am surprised he was unwilling to take you advice/comments as any belt fed guy knows that just when we think we know it all we still learn more!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
After looking at the pics for a while, it appears it is just a dummy Vickers gun. It is a WWII version of the gun so not a "1915" and it is a non-gun so C+R status is irrelevant. Fellow seems confused, but nothing dreadfully wrong with the post. The "aftermarket" plate raises some questions about whether it is a "legal" dummy, though. Takes all kinds.........

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Without seeing the interior of the receiver it's impossible to tell just what it is. One things for sure - there's no way you could fire it as is because there is no trigger.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The elevation stop is missing too.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not a Model 1915 US Vickers; never was. Further, after taking a good look, this is likely an IMA dummy. Here why I say this:

• Smooth left side plate = LSP replaced
  • No check-lever = RSP likely replaced
  • No elevation stop = LSP likely replaced
  • Smooth jacket so either late WWI or WWII

IMA's dummies generally had all of these characteristics. The tripod legs are British but looks like to me the tripod was disassembled and reassembled improperly. Note that the jamming handles are not aligned properly and the tumbler pin is incorrectly installed (pic #7).

There's a point here, the buyer needs to know what they are buying. It's a ripoff at $5k or for that matter $3k.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Yep, she sure is an impressive piece of history all right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts