1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Looks like it is part of a saddle-bag arrangement? The tapered bit up top. 1915A1 scope. Looks to be a rangefinder type with parallax optics.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
There are a few on EBAY with the tripods etc. 1915A1 trench scope/rangefinder. One has that same carrier only rougher. I think the nomenclature on the one in your pic is a smudge or an updated number. J

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The mention of lamps and batteries almost looks like they are referring to illuminated aiming stakes. The BA30 referred to is the standard flashlight "D" cell. The Army use to issue OD colored BA 30s (commercial batteries with GI wrap) and maybe still do but I think they have now gone to commercial pack batteries to save money.

Someplace around here I have some old artillery aiming lamps but I believe they used "C" cells.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have 1 of those. (want to buy it?)

Used for observation/ranging rabbit ears on a transit tripod. Would have been carried by pack mule
Very likely used for MG Corps.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The table of contents label is dated 5-6-41 and 4 thousand of them were printed by/for/at RIA. So it could be properly marked M1917A1.

Maybe the Gatekeeper has drawing 22-39-1 RIA made lots of leather goods.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Case, Carrying M1917A1 for the M1915A1 Telescope - NOT MG

No reason to make this complicated, this is a leather carrying case, model 1917A1. It is used to protect the model 1915A1 B.C. Telescope. Has no connection per se to the M1917A1 Browning machine gun. Like there is no connection between M1 rifle, M1 carbine, or M1 Abrams tank.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
No reason to make this complicated, this is a leather carrying case, model 1917A1. It is used to protect the model 1915A1 B.C. Telescope. Has no connection per se to the M1917A1 Browning machine gun. Like there is no connection between M1 rifle, M1 carbine, or M1 Abrams tank.
Just like the M2 tripod has nothing to do with the M2 machine gun. :D

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
...listed...

The table of contents label is dated 5-6-41 and 4 thousand of them were printed by/for/at RIA. So it could be properly marked M1917A1.

Maybe the Gatekeeper has drawing 22-39-1 RIA made lots of leather goods.
Found an original list of items issued to the 1917 machine Gun carts and it mentions a 'night firing box'. Maybe this is that item that goes into that leather case...? Someone has one to show and tell...?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Found an original list of items issued to the 1917 machine Gun carts and it mentions a 'night firing box'. Maybe this is that item that goes into that leather case...? Someone has one to show and tell...?
Nope (see my previous post on this) -
However, one had to change the bags at short intervals because after a few bursts they dried out and caught fire negating the flash hiding. Some weapons like the German Maxims had a rudimentary flash hider that deflected the flash off to the sides of the muzzle through a series of ports. This device also acted as a booster. The Browning Model of 1917 had nothing of the sort and during low-light conditions operated at a disadvantage wet burlap bags not withstanding.
Somewhere along the line something described as a "night firing box" was developed. From the very sketchy details gleaned from the Ordnance Committee Meeting minutes this device apparently enclosed the machine gun in some fashion. Whatever it was it was not well liked.

On November 4, 1919, less than a year after the Armistice, the Ordnance Committee read into the record a letter from the Adjutant General addressed to Chief of Ordnance Major General Clarence C. Williams containing a long list of suggested changes prepared by "our best machine gun officers". Topping the list was a request that something be done about the "night firing box" as it was thought to be "too elaborate and bulky" a short way down the list was a request for a flash hider and "A real smokeless and, if possible, a flashless powder is needed. Our powder is far from flashless and disclosed the position of the guns at once." CREDIT - M1919tech.com

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
1917 tripod, this one mabay....

i think i know were that case belongs too
i have a bunch of wooden US model 1917 tripods
most are marked M17, but i found out US military calls them the model 1917 tripod
they need a scope ore rangefinder ore what ever
only have the tripods, no optics....

Bicycle part Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part Wheel Metal Auto part Auto part Bicycle part Camera accessory

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
i think i know were that case belongs too
i have a bunch of wooden US model 1917 tripods
most are marked M17, but i found out US military calls them the model 1917 tripod
they need a scope ore rangefinder ore what ever
only have the tripods, no optics....

View attachment 15562 View attachment 15563 View attachment 15564
Yours is an M17 (Model M17 - NOT M1917) tripod and is used with M65 Telescopes. This has nothing to do with the M1917 leather case. M19XX usually indicates the date (XX) an item is accepted and/or placed into service (e.g. M1917 tripod, M1917 Rifle, M1917 leather case, M1917 Web gear, etc). I do not know what year the military started using the MXX instead of M19XX designation.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
..... M19XX usually indicates the date (XX) an item is accepted and/or placed into service (e.g. M1917 tripod, M1917 Rifle, M1917 leather case, M1917 Web gear, etc). I do not know what year the military started using the MXX instead of M19XX designation.
They changed about the time of Y2K. :lol:

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
They changed about the time of Y2K. :lol:
You vary vary funny man! :lol:

Actually in general the US Army started using the M-series designation after July 1, 1925. Prior to that time they used the "M" and year of introduction or standardization (so sayth the lord Internet). Although there may have been a few exceptions and other countries continued to use the "M" - year designation much longer. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the carrying case for a field artillery battery commanders M1915A1telescope. It was designed to fit inside a M1918 Artillery cart: Plant Motor vehicle Wood Gas Toy Wheel Motor vehicle Plant Gas Cart All of the fire control equipment had leather cases that could be carried by a man on horseback in case the cart was disabled. I am looking for another telescope and case and tripod to complete my cart, in case anyone runs across them. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
You vary vary funny man! :lol:

Actually in general the US Army started using the M-series designation after July 1, 1925. Prior to that time they used the "M" and year of introduction or standardization (so sayth the lord Internet). Although there may have been a few exceptions and other countries continued to use the "M" - year designation much longer. :D
Like the M-1928 Thompson . The modernized WW2 Thompson was first the M-1 then shortly thereafter the M1A1.
Chris

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
This is the carrying case for a field artillery battery commanders M1915A1telescope. It was designed to fit inside a M1918 Artillery cart: All of the fire control equipment had leather cases that could be carried by a man on horseback in case the cart was disabled. I am looking for another telescope and case and tripod to complete my cart, in case anyone runs across them. Thanks.
@mhorton9 WOW! Incredible restoration work! That has to have been a years-long project.

I just want to re-post your pictures a little bigger. That was a basket case to start with!

Plant Motor vehicle Wood Gas Toy

Wheel Cannon Motor vehicle Plant Gas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts