1919 A4 Forums banner

What is this? - 1917 A1 Machine Gun Telescope Case Leather

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  glassmountains 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
The mention of lamps and batteries almost looks like they are referring to illuminated aiming stakes. The BA30 referred to is the standard flashlight "D" cell. The Army use to issue OD colored BA 30s (commercial batteries with GI wrap) and maybe still do but I think they have now gone to commercial pack batteries to save money.

Someplace around here I have some old artillery aiming lamps but I believe they used "C" cells.

#8 ·
The table of contents label is dated 5-6-41 and 4 thousand of them were printed by/for/at RIA. So it could be properly marked M1917A1.

Maybe the Gatekeeper has drawing 22-39-1 RIA made lots of leather goods.

#9 ·
Case, Carrying M1917A1 for the M1915A1 Telescope - NOT MG

No reason to make this complicated, this is a leather carrying case, model 1917A1. It is used to protect the model 1915A1 B.C. Telescope. Has no connection per se to the M1917A1 Browning machine gun. Like there is no connection between M1 rifle, M1 carbine, or M1 Abrams tank.

#14 ·
i think i know were that case belongs too
i have a bunch of wooden US model 1917 tripods
most are marked M17, but i found out US military calls them the model 1917 tripod
they need a scope ore rangefinder ore what ever
only have the tripods, no optics....

View attachment 15562 View attachment 15563 View attachment 15564
Yours is an M17 (Model M17 - NOT M1917) tripod and is used with M65 Telescopes. This has nothing to do with the M1917 leather case. M19XX usually indicates the date (XX) an item is accepted and/or placed into service (e.g. M1917 tripod, M1917 Rifle, M1917 leather case, M1917 Web gear, etc). I do not know what year the military started using the MXX instead of M19XX designation.

#17 ·
This is the carrying case for a field artillery battery commanders M1915A1telescope. It was designed to fit inside a M1918 Artillery cart: Plant Motor vehicle Wood Gas Toy
Wheel Motor vehicle Plant Gas Cart
All of the fire control equipment had leather cases that could be carried by a man on horseback in case the cart was disabled. I am looking for another telescope and case and tripod to complete my cart, in case anyone runs across them. Thanks.

#19 · (Edited)
This is the carrying case for a field artillery battery commanders M1915A1telescope. It was designed to fit inside a M1918 Artillery cart: All of the fire control equipment had leather cases that could be carried by a man on horseback in case the cart was disabled. I am looking for another telescope and case and tripod to complete my cart, in case anyone runs across them. Thanks.
@mhorton9 WOW! Incredible restoration work! That has to have been a years-long project.

I just want to re-post your pictures a little bigger. That was a basket case to start with!

Plant Motor vehicle Wood Gas Toy

Wheel Cannon Motor vehicle Plant Gas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.