1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, Ive had this battle pack stuffed away for a while. Every few years I pull it out and say 'what the hell is in here?' and I play the guessing game. I dont want to open it up to find out and ruin the pack. (Because open ammo sells for 99% less money and expires in 1 year) (Thats how people act anyways)

There are NO markings on the bag. I can feel 10 individual boxes inside the pack. Other than that, this is the biggest mystery since Al Capone's vault.
5.56, 7.62x51 and 9mm added for scale.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Gents, Ive had this battle pack stuffed away for a while. Every few years I pull it out and say 'what the hell is in here?' and I play the guessing game. I dont want to open it up to find out and ruin the pack. (Because open ammo sells for 99% less money and expires in 1 year) (Thats how people act anyways)

There are NO markings on the bag. I can feel 10 individual boxes inside the pack. Other than that, this is the biggest mystery since Al Capone's vault.
5.56, 7.62x51 and 9mm added for scale.

Portuguese 7.62x51 200 rnd battle pack. good surplus ammo. I can send you a pick of the missing label if you'd like?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not 308. The individual boxes arent long enough, and it doesnt weigh enough. I can almost see indentations on the individual boxes that line up with the shoulder of a 5.56 case....but if its 5.56, who makes it? I had some South African ammo years ago, (almost 20 years) and that stuff was HOT, threw brass straight up out of my Mini 14. So do we assume its 5.56?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you guys are right with it being South African, but not 308. Im pretty sure that after looking at some online pictures, that this is a pack of South African 5.56x45, 300 rounds (10, 30 round boxes). i remember shooting this stuff out of a Mini14 years ago (in 1998) and it was slinging brass farther than I could find it. Hot stuff if I remember.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hmmmm, definitely not 308. I do have some 5.56 Malaysian in 30rnd boxes, but never had it in battle packs.... The only South African stuff I've ever seen was in the previously mentioned tan/brown package? Never had any 5.56 SA, so my input may be worth exactly what you paid for it! :D

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
SA 762 battle packs are thicker on the Upper end.

They stack the Upper 2 boxes sideways or whatever.

They are not flat but have the same finger holes.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Port .308 came in those 200 rnds per battle packs.
At least that's what I believe is in it.
But now that I actually look at your first picture and read your post better I can say
Port .308 came in 200 rnd green battle packs but obviously that's not what you have if that's a .308 bullet in the picture.

GW

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im pretty sure we have it narrowed down to South African 5.56 battle pack, 10x30 rnd boxes
Dont know if its M1A2 or M1A3, nor do I know the difference. (Im basing nomenclature on web pictures). If I had to guess, its 55 gr vs 62....

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
:rofl:

used to get 1000 rounds of port 308 for $73 shipped , SA packs were $21 each and the 5.56 packs were $35 ( i think there was 300 in there)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The only other battle packs that I have seen were for Swedish 6.5mm ammo. However I don't remember the details but I think they were clearly labeled as to ammo type.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like standard 5.56 South African battle pack, ammo was dumped on the surplus market because its crazy hot
Yeah, I remember shooting it out of a Mini 14 I had years ago. This ammo would throw the bolt back so hard it was actually causing 2-3 rounds to fly loose from the magazine for every round I shot. Pull the trigger, get 1 empty casing and 2 complete rounds on the ground. I dont know how its possible, but the gun/magazine never performed like this with any other ammo. My brother and I nicknamed it the '***********' ammo (seeing how it was so ridiculously powered and from South Africa and all. Apartheid hadnt ended yet, so it just seemed appropriate to give it such an inappropriate name)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts